1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Polo shell cordovan shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FCS, Nov 19, 2004.

1. FCS

FCS Senior member

http://www.polo.com/product....=family Anyone here other than Mike C. has them? I'm wondering about your experience with the fitting; I usually take 10.5E or otherwise 11D if there is not 10.5 wide. Nonetheless I was told by Mike C. that the last is slightly larger and wondering if 10.5D might accomodate instead of 11D. My right foot is slightly shorter than my left's so an 11D sometimes cause slight heel slippage on my right foot. Also, are they made by C&J? If so, are they of handgrade quality? Many thanks for any info.

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

cordovan?

they are calf

3. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

They are actually cordovan... The labeling on them is wrong, as they are really called the Marlow Cordovan Blucher. They happen to be a steal if you buy them now and include the extra 30% off with the NOVEMBER code.

4. djkovner

djkovner Well-Known Member

Mike, are the black ones also cordovan?

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Are these also cordovan then? I wouldn't want to buy something thinking it was cordovan only to find that is was properly advertised as calfskin http://www.polo.com/product....=family

6. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I'll call/email to confirm... given that they say calfskin in the description, it might be that they're using "cordovan" in the color sense, not the horsehide sense....

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I bought two pairs this morning.

The polo.com people said that they are definitely calf (the guy had the shoe in front of him.) But I called the flagship store in New York and they said they were cordovan. So, I took quite a gamble (I only wanted them if they were cordovan), and we'll see what happens.

8. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

It isn't too much of a gamble, since it looks like polo.com is offering free shipping this time around... So if you have to return them, it appears that all you'll lose is a little bit of time and whatever they charge for returns....

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

returns are only for store credit though...

we shall see

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Just received email response.

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for your email. The Darlton Wingtip Shoe is made from calfskin. The description is correct.

If you have any further questions please feel free to email us or call 1-888-475-7674. Our Customer Support Representatives will be more than happy to assist you 7 days a week, from 9:00 am to 12 midnight Eastern Time, Monday through Friday, and 11:00 am to 11:00 pm Eastern Time, Saturday and Sunday.

Thank you for your interest in Polo Ralph Lauren.

Sincerely,

Customer Support Representative
    Polo.com

So, I think I'm going to try to cancel my order. Shame...
    It's still a great price, but I just don't need another pair of calf shoes.

11. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

well, once you get them, let me know what they are. if they are indeed shell cordovan, i might get the polo wingtip and put my AE macneils burgundy shell cordovans up for sale on ebay. i never wear it since it i'm no longer enamored with the long wing style and it was really too big when i got it the first time (it is a 10.5E, and I really should have gotten the D).