• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Political parties

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
As per my previous post to NavyStyles' thread on Flag Day....

Anyone out there see much difference in our two political parties these days?

Perhaps in which special interest group/s they pander to?

What would the signers of the Constitution and Dec of Independence think if they could see how the system they so lovingly devised 200 years ago has been corrupted by soft money contributions, etc.? Or how much we pay in taxes for inefficient, unjust government by the few, for the few?

Don't get me wrong- I love my country and think it's the greatest on Earth. But couldn't it be so much better???

Anyone else with opinions- pro or con? Or should we just stick to clothes?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all the rhetoric that blows on Capitol Hill, the only real difference in my mind between Republicans and Democrats is that Republicans want to increase spending by 3% while Democrats want to increase spending by 5%.  The bottom line for most politicians is getting re-elected and that means two things: (1) doing things that are popular, and (2) bringing home the bacon to the home district.  The only way things are going to change is if a viable third party emerges.  As a conservative who leans heavily libertarian, I have been hoping that the third party would be the Libertarian Party, but that hope appears to be in vain.  Given that libertarians dislike government and central authority, it is no surprise that their forays into politics have been a complete mess.  (A few years ago, one of their candidates -- and as Dave Barry would say, I'm not making this up -- advocated neighborhood ICBMs.)  The only viable third party appears to be the "Disgruntled" Party made up of anti-immigration nationalists who voted for Pat Buchanan and tree-hugging protestors who voted for Ralph Nader.  So it looks like we'll be stuck with what we've got for awhile.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
The line between the two main parties sure is a blurry one. Rage Against the Machine did a video with footage from the 2000 Election where Bush and Gore come from the same mutant released by aliens to conquer Earth. Pretty interesting stuff. I'll try to find out the name of the video.

Still, the two parties do have their differences. Many times, they are very small and unnoticeable, but they are there. The Presidential and Senate races from 2000 were just soo close that the parties almost forced themselves into moderation. No one (winning) politician loudly expressed his views unless those views pleased the other guy's supporters.

Yeah, the "Disgruntled" Party seems to be made up of the extremists on either sides. The Libertarian Party would be a pretty good choice for the strong third party. They do support very little government, but that's what the nation was founded on. Remember the whole Revolution, because of the overextended powers of government? The reason for little government interaction is to prevent that scenario.

It's sad that the only guidance politicians have is how to get reelected. They should write legislation because it helps the nation stand, not because it gets them back on Capitol Hill. Of course, in a sense, that's exactly what they were made to do -- they exist to listen to the opinions of people. The same people, coincidentally, elect the politicians. So, what the people want should be for the good of the nation. Just too many of them remember the good of themselves, first.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
For all the rhetoric that blows on Capitol Hill, the only real difference in my mind between Republicans and Democrats is that Republicans want to increase spending by 3% while Democrats want to increase spending by 5%. Â The bottom line for most politicians is getting re-elected and that means two things: (1) doing things that are popular, and (2) bringing home the bacon to the home district. Â The only way things are going to change is if a viable third party emerges.

I agree with everything you said here.

I also strongly believe that most people of good will want the same goals for society. They just tend to differ on believing what mechanisms and philosophical/political stances will best foster those goals.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmmm...necro posting a 6 year old thread to make a first post favoring labor unions and dem causes...

spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Hmmm...necro posting a 6 year old thread to make a first post favoring labor unions and dem causes...

spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif

Doh! Good catch Mark. I didn't even notice the dates!

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Compared to European ones the American two big parties were never very different to begin with. In the U.S. its more about playful competition than about ideological alternatives of varying Weltanschauungen.

Having said that, recently also the European centre-parties are pretty much nivellated, anyway...

And having said all that: all modern parties are the abominable offspring of the cruel, humanity-defying Enlightenment movement and thereby to be refuted fundamentally.
teacha.gif

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
For all the rhetoric that blows on Capitol Hill, the only real difference in my mind between Republicans and Democrats is that Republicans want to increase spending by 3% while Democrats want to increase spending by 5%.

What about spending for Defense? Surely The Republicans lead the way.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The parties are the same to me, the only difference is to whom they pander. I don't know if it's just a result of the median voter theorem over time, or that they are pulling the wool over our eyes trying to keep us divided and busy fighting each other rather than looking to where the real blame lies, WITH THEM.

I'll stick with the Libertarian party. We may be considered nuts and never win an election, but at least I can wake up every morning true to myself not having to change my beliefs because the guy I supported yesterday flip flopped or went back on his or her word.

Republicans are anything but "conservative" just as Democrats are anything but "progressive". It's all a big joke, on us.

Classical/laissez-faire liberalism forever!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads