• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So for my third collection I started experimenting with an old Nigerian dying technique. It has been a process that has required a lot of patience. This was one of the very first samples.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

actually I don't care if there's minimal contrast, I kinda want something that I can just leave to sit in the jacket and not have to worry about it clashing with anything else. So that's a great suggestion, cheers.

Edit: Just saw this.

Last edited:

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Even rarer. It is called adire.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adire_(textile_art)

Now that I see the traditional usage, I realize I have seen this before. I always thought it was a batik resist-dying process. Interesting that it's produced using starch and indigo, rather than wax. I think its usage for PS has great potential.

This one is very intricate:

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Now that I see the traditional usage, I realize I have seen this before. I always thought it was a batik resist-dying process. Interesting that it's produced using starch and indigo, rather than wax. I think its usage for PS has great potential.

That is actually a good one. There are 2 ways of dying it (wax or cassava). I prefer the cassava due to its imperfections

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For now I am using cotton so that I can get a grip of the process itself. I will later on introduce other fabrics that most of the artisans are not familiar with. So that is going to be a challenge. Can't wait to see how they look on cashmere, silks and wool blends

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sell them on here :)

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find that look very appealing. It would be ideal for spring/summer casual dress or a party. I can see it with a linen or cotton jacket. Keep us informed!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Popping over from SW&D. Can I get a suggestion as to what would be a good choice for this jacket and fit?
I feel like white linen is not quite perfect here. I'm thinking some type of paisley as the fit needs some pattern, but i'm not entirely sure what colour.
[/IMG]

Hendrix, I think the pocket square you show is a bit too traditional/classic for that jacket and your overall look. I would suggest looking for something a bit more contemporary and expressive. When I saw the closeup of the jacket it made me think of more Paul Smith attitude- a pocket square with a multi-color map pattern, naked ladies, multi-colored stripes, frayed edges, huge pink and white dots, that sort of thing.

The pocket square you selected is very attractive, but save it for when you are ready to pair it with a MC style jacket.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52