• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pitti Uomo 87 in pictures

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its expert jargon. Those who know, know. : )

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look, I was obviously kidding about everyone having to put their cred on display. However, it's tough for infrequent posters to even get a shred of 'suspension of disbelief', but I guess that's not so unreasonable. I respect the industry. However, I think practiced patrons in many cases have enough knowledge to form valid opinions, however vehemently they might be opposed.
I agree. My contention is that for women's clothing, most people in this thread are not practiced patrons. I could be wrong, of course, but that would be surprising.

In many ways, this is a bizzaro thread on Styleforum. On this forum, a new poster occasionally comes swaggering in, saying things like "That just isn't flattering?" "Do the bitches like that old man stuff? lulz?" and is roundly put through the grinder. Here, we seem to be having the exact opposite. Regular posters are opining on a subject on which they don't have much knowledge, and then bristle when they are told that, and that perhaps their opinions are not worth much salt, and then either state, or imply, that perhaps the "common man" is a better arbiter than an expert. It's an odd twist of roles.

It's worth noting that the pictures were posted in reaction to some of the men's looks. Evidently, they did not get the admiration that the original poster of those pictures had intended.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You all realize that as I've been writing each post I'm cozy in my Rick Owens dick cloak, right?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You all realize that as I've been writing each post I'm cozy in my Rick Owens dick cloak, right?
Well, I'm in Robert Geller winter shorts. Chew on that for a while. Winter shorts (not joking, they are a super thick loden material). I may wear my fur for full, slightly out of shape, Asian Highlander style.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well, I'm in Robert Geller winter shorts.  Chew on that for a while.  Winter shorts (not joking, they are a super thick loden material).  I may wear my fur for full, slightly out of shape, Asian Highlander style.

If you do go out in your winter shorts and fur coat, please take a picture. It will surely blow the minds of the anti-winter coat no socks contingent. :)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you do go out in your winter shorts and fur coat, please take a picture. It will surely blow the minds of the anti-winter coat no socks contingent.
smile.gif
Who said anything about no socks?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No one, but the shorts ratchet up the "incongruity" factor.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow! 85 posts since yesterday. Thank you for the lolz!

The funniest moment was when a guy who posts on SF accused someone else of being elitist.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am an elitist! The only person in my club I'm so good. Glad we got that over.
1f605.png

Why is this thread in the classic part of the forum?

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I apologize if you felt that anything that I wrote was a personal attack.

Not at all. I love a cracking good argument.

Regular posters are opining on a subject on which they don't have much knowledge, and then bristle when they are told that, and that perhaps their opinions are not worth much salt, and then either state, or imply, that perhaps the "common man" is a better arbiter than an expert.

What's the subject on which I don't have much knowledge? Women's fashion? Guilty as charged. Aesthetics? Perhaps...perhaps not. Perhaps I do know something about aesthetics, and about art, and about the creative process. It's conceivable that I work within that field. And maybe, just maybe, my knowledge base is broad enough that I can see the woods for the trees. Just like the "common man" sometimes can.

There's the nub of my argument. Watch tragics can go all weak at the knees about the quadruple differential-coupled tourbillon of the latest boutique-brand watch, and somehow not notice how fugly and monstrously oversized the thing is. Happens all the time, in fact. Woods for the trees.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow! 85 posts since yesterday. Thank you for the lolz!

The funniest moment was when a guy who posts on SF accused someone else of being elitist.

Why? There is nothing intrinsically wrong or incongruous about a member of a subset identifying another member of a subset as such.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads