• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pitti Uomo 90 - Day 3

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other trends I've picked up from EFV's superb photo collections:

White casual pants (generally sockless and with loafers)
Tangerine jackets
Baker's-boy caps

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've met Jared (the dude with the tatts ) a few years ago when we had a trunk show down in Melbourne. He is a really nice bloke, I don't really care for a lot of the stuff he wears but that's beside the point. What the 2 on the right are wearing isn't all that ridiculous, at least not compared to some of the other stuff you see.

I think he works for oscar hunt here now, same with the girl. I'm sure like everyone at pitti they've planned it all out in minute detail.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you for all the appreciative comments on the pictures and short write ups! It really makes it worth not sleeping for a week (n.b. not an ironic remark). Also, thank you to all forumites who stopped by our place, @Butler, @gdl203, @unbelragazzo, @Jussi Hakkinen, @Mr. Claymore, to name a few.

We got stranded overnight in Munich due to an air strike, but I'll post a thread when I get home with a lot of unpublished pictures.

Mr. Claymore

Reaction score

I echo those who want to thank @EFV for taking the time out of his already busy schedule to post all of these photos for us. Once he’s has caught up on his sleep, I’d love to get a verbal report from him sharing his impressions of this year’s Pitti. Based on his photos, things seem considerably toned-down compared to recent years, but I don’t know if that was actually the case or just the consequence of his choice of photos. The New York Times had a short, fairly insignificant, piece on Pitti today which, however, included the following intriguing claim:
“[T]o a substantial extent, a hyper-macho bruiser look has supplanted that of the dandies who held sway in recent seasons.”
(www.nytimes.com/2016/06/19/fashion/mens-style/pitti-uomo-mens-fashion-spring-2017.html) I’d be interested in first-hand confirmation or disconfirmation. Cheers, Ac
There was the same peacocking as always. Eric just has good taste and doesn't take pictures of it. Regarding the NYT article; the reporter sent the photographer to look for things he had already decided to write about. I was actually photographed for the article and spent some time talking to the photographer. He liked what I was wearing a lot but it wasn't up to him. The reporter had already even left town. In another example, a friend of mine was told by a publication to take pictures of several specific "trends" but was having a tough time because he was seeing other actual trends on the ground. Everyone has their own bias. It's easy to cherry pick out of the thousands of people there to support them. (I have a number of good pictures of the peacocks, some even actually wearing feathers, but they don't seem to be uploading from my phone.)

Mr. Claymore

Reaction score

Be careful, they might be someone's friends.

Sigh... Arguing on the Internet is fun so let's give it one last try. Fok is saying something about the clothing and trends not "yuck I hate them and I hate Pitti!"

Here, give it a go: "I don't like what they are wearing because....." I know you're capable of articulating your point of view.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Regarding the NYT article; the reporter sent the photographer to look for things he had already decided to write about. I was actually photographed for the article and spent some time talking to the photographer. He liked what I was wearing a lot but it wasn't up to him. The reporter had already even left town. In another example, a friend of mine was told by a publication to take pictures of several specific "trends" but was having a tough time because he was seeing other actual trends on the ground. Everyone has their own bias. It's easy to cherry pick out of the thousands of people there to support them.

FME, that's how a lot of major publications work. And unless the writer has a lot of clout, he or she doesn't even get to choose the talking points -- those are set by editors.

So the editors decide what points need to be hit, that's fleshed out by a freelance writer, and if the piece involves non-product photography, those are given to a freelance photographer who needs to find examples to fit the story.

Depending on the views of the editors, those talking points may or may not be stupid. But the freelance writer and photographer have little say.

That's not how all publications work. Smaller ones tend to give more leeway to writers. And regular columnists get more freedom. But if you're doing a small story at a big publication, everything is set at the top before you're even assigned to something.

Last edited:

NycLondon

Reaction score
Ok, so now EVERYONE points out how completely beat I look. They're not wrong. The candles not burning in both ends, it's burnt down. Right now I couldn't be happier though. We've had a great week, meeting a lot of people that I now feel happy to call real friends. I get to talk about positioning of side adjusters, directions of pleats, curvature of barchetta pockets et c, you get the picture. It's in many ways a menswear nerd paradise. And then there's the free booze of course, and over priced booze - served by the super rude waiters at the Caffe Gilli.

Yesterday was spent visiting the fair just long enough to post the Pitti thread here on SF, then going into central Florence to visit thre shoemaker Allan Baudoin's trunk show. It was a very nice get together with friends and shoe geeks from all over the world. We took a couple of mini pizza slices and a coctail as lunch and then headed back to our own apartment for trunk show day 2. Day 1 was a raging success vistor wise, on day 2 we mostly had @unbelragazzo & @gdl203 and a couple of non-SF friends hanging out, drinking whiskey and eating chocolates.

In the end we actually made our first wholesale outside of Sweden. This had to be celebrated, so Charley (@Mr. Claymore ) took us to his favourite restaurant, which turned out to be a hole in the wall serving pizzas. He was not wrong, the pizzas were great.

After this we headed to Plaza Uomo's party at an old palazzo in central Florence, and then, of course rounded it all off at Gillis (a place I'm properly fed up with by now).

Trend spottings: Belgian loafers are still popular, as are safari jackets, scarfs, work wear and 70s style.

Ok, now I'm signing out from Florence, but I'll be posting a new thread with a lot of unpublished pictures as soon as I'm back home.

Be sure to follow the pitti90 tag for all Pitti 90 related coverage. Also, check out SF's Instagram account for more live pictures.

89 seemed more interesting these pics are dull

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Claymore

Reaction score

FME, that's how a lot of major publications work. And unless the writer has a lot of clout, he or she doesn't even get to choose the talking points -- those are set by editors.

So the editors decide what points need to be hit, that's fleshed out by a freelance writer, and if the piece involves non-product photography, those are given to a freelance photographer who needs to find examples to fit the story.

Depending on the views of the editors, those talking points may or may not be stupid. But the freelance writer and photographer have little say.

That's not how all publications work. Smaller ones tend to give more leeway to writers. And regular columnists get more freedom. But if you're doing a small story at a big publication, everything is set at the top before you're even assigned to something.

I believe it. It's a shame though, they then miss the real story. There was a group of seven of us standing around chatting, a photographer I know was taking pictures of our shoes. He had been told to take pictures of broguing. Only Eric and I were wearing shoes with any. The other five were wearing light colored suede loafers. Where do you think the real trend was?

Did you really need to quote everything to share that thoughtful remark?

Carl1955

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Love the pics (thanks) & various styles

Is there a list of the exhibitors?, so I can check out there creations online

Thanks

Carl.

Tom Miler

Reaction score
Erik thank's a lot for all the hard work you put into preparing this photo coverage! It's great to see the pics so fast and only few people know how tough you have to be to attend Pitti, so many accompanying events and still be able to organize your own event that was a success! Looking forward to see more pics :D

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Can you please go back and edit the quote out of your post. It disrupts the flow of the whole thread when you quote a post with several
pictures.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics