• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

photos of Yakuza + prostitutes in 1960s japan

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Brother is great, I actually like it more than Kitano's Japanese films.
To me, Brother always felt too much like a kind of a "greatest hits" collection from Kitano. Scenes he'd already filmed better in earlier films attached to a by-the-numbers yakuza story. Still, atleast it's better than the stuff he's done after it (with the exception of Zatoichi, Kitano has totally lost it in his later films).

By far the BEST yakuza film I've ever seen is "Shussho Iwai" (called The Wolves for US market) from the early 70s by Hideo Gosha and starring Tatsuya Nakadai.
Agreed, Wolves is an amazing film. I think it's getting a (long overdue) dvd release later this year. It made a really strong impression on me when I first saw it on a copied vhs tape of atrocious quality, can't wait to see it on a better media.

However, my favorite yakuza film of all time is Masahiro Shinoda's Kawaita Hana (Pale flower). It's nothing like other films of the genre I've seen, more resembling some kind of an unholy marriage between Melville's crime films and the avantgarde-ish works of Teshigahara (not least because Toru Takemitsu's amazing, cacophonious score that recalls his work on Face Of Another and Woman In The Dunes). Unforgettable, stark b/w photography and a wonderful script that deals with the post-war anomie in the society through a cast of barely likeable, blank-faced nihilists. Fast cars, gambling, drug use, copious amounts of violence and lots of dark corridors and hard lights. Good stuff. Oh, and the suits worn by the main character are great too!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny Amiga
Agreed, Wolves is an amazing film. I think it's getting a (long overdue) dvd release later this year.

that's great to hear, I've always wanted Sussho Iwai on dvd....something to look forward to!

I'm not as into modern yakuza films as I am of older ones from the 60s, esp if it has Ken Takakura or Koji Tsuruta...modern ones are too cheesy/over the top without any of the existential angst the classics had. Tho I do love Ichi the Killer and Dead or Alive (I)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by playdohh22
The first picture, sort of reminds me of getsmart.

hmm...the OP did mention that pic reminded him of someone from the forum
marchal.gif

Fulcannelli

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
These dogs are pretty big, a fight between two of these must have been spectactular. For me it would have been unwatchable. I love dogs too much.

I knew a guy ages ago who used to fight dogs, he had two in a cage in his back garden (yard) in cages, he was pretty awfull to them and one died in a fight, I declined to go and watch them.

needless to say he was obviously a nasty twat, not a bone of empathy in his whole person.

last time i caught up with him he had a chair facing the front door with a shot gun balanced on it, i think he was in a bit of trouble...lol.. good ridens.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
These dogs are pretty big, a fight between two of these must have been spectactular. For me it would have been unwatchable. I love dogs too much.

I have spent many hours watching videos of Tosa fights. In most cases, they are not as violent as you might think. They can get a bit boring. Usually one dog will have a hold for quite a long time and shake it a bit. Sometimes the big dogs get so exhausted they just lie there panting. There is a thirty minute time limit on the fights. I never saw a dog get seriously hurt beyond getting a little chewed up. I don't think it is any worse than watching boxing or MMA.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea in boxing and mma we choose to do it, we dont get thrown in it. its a stupid comparison. not to mention the number of dogs dying is probably extremely high, unlike boxing and mma.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the idea is that they are born fighters, and they are happy doing what they do.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
yea in boxing and mma we choose to do it, we dont get thrown in it. its a stupid comparison. not to mention the number of dogs dying is probably extremely high, unlike boxing and mma.

In a Tosa fight, anytime a dog shows signs of wanting to quit, they stop the fight. The number of dogs dying in the Tosa fights is not extremely high, it is almost non-existent. As others have said, these dogs are born with a lust for battle. However, my last Tosa was peaceful and gentle around other dogs. Odd that, given that she was up for adoption because she had killed and eaten the neighbors' 100-pound Akita! I think the Akita, an aggressive breed in its own right, must have pushed matters too far with her. (The Akita had trespassed onto Tessa's property and both b*tches were in heat.)

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe im thinking too much of the dog fighting here in North America with pitbulls which is extremely violent, but i still cant see this being any better.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that is a shame. It adds to the whole image that they have. I mean for me its crazy to have criminals that have an office with their logo on it, legal companies they participate in and that whole tattoo body suit thing and the '60 american gangster style just perfectly finishes it. I do realise that we, in Holland, have the Hells Angels that pretty much have everything I mentioned earlier minus the suits. Add some leather and a Harley and you're done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads