• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of my Tom Ford RTW Suit

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
My last suit was otr 40r us. Different cut so size is not comparable. I first tried 50r at tom ford. It was clearly too small. Then I tried 52r it fit much better than compared to 50r but not enough. I think I made an error focsuing on the relative improvement of 50 vs 52 as opposed to if the 52r fit on an absolute basis.

I work in a department store and I can't see why the staff wouldn't put you in a 54 to start off with and then work down from there. Best to err on a slightly larger size than slightly too small. This is my approach when fitting and selling suits. The suits I sell are rather slim fitting so if it doesn't suit their body type and after seeking advice from our tailor don't think we can adequately alter the suit - I suggest they purchase another brand of suit.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one to whom this thread is screaming 'go MTM'? The OP was, and still is, clearly seeking certain stylistic details that are apparently satisfied by Tom Ford products (whether the rest of us like them is thus irrelevant). The posted OTR suit demonstrates very poor fit including some typical OTR problems such as the bunching of the material around the neck (because the OP has good posture). Going MTM would preserve the desired stylistic details while fixing the fit issues - or at least removing any excuse for not fixing the fit issues.

To the OP - is there any chance of returning this suit and getting a credit towards an MTM job? If so, it's what I would go for.

BTW: My sympathies on this. I completely understand the expectation that a high-end clothing store should be able to advise you correctly on fit - it's a shame that this expectation has been disappointed.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff
A good friend was the lighting assistant on this shoot. I think it was at Milk Studios. The model had a 27" waist.
Sweet jeebus. 1" away from my gf. Wow.
worship.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Advarice,

I have a tailor in Hamilton NJ who i would advise you to see about that TF suit. I think she can fix it, the place is a hole in the wall, not a fancy name.

However she does all of the work for the local RL princeton store, and has worked on all of my jackets, she does work on shoulders and all in all does a fantastic job.

If its not to far of a ride, i would visit her.

Robwynge

Reaction score
I am going to go against the grain and say that in the close up pictures, the suit looks quite good to me. I think posting pictures on here often leads to all kinds of attacks because minor things stand out in still-life, digital flash photography that nobody would ever notice in real life. Real life is in constant motion, and the suit will sit differently at various times during the day.

I agree with some that you may not look like Tom himself because your body type is different, but that is not the fault of the suit. A suit can't give you a wide shouldered tapered look if your body had narrow shoulders and a wide waist.

I will also note that my first MTM/beespoke suit was terrible, so be careful of those who imply that beespoke solves all problems. It can take more than one (very expensive) effort to get the right fit. It actually turned me off MTM/beespoke because I wanted to see how the jacket fit my body first, rather than visualizing that it would come out right.

I look forward to updates on how TF treats your request. It would be good to get feedback on their customer service.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robwynge
A suit can't give you a wide shouldered tapered look if your body had narrow shoulders and a wide waist.

My shoulders aren't that narrow and my waist is certainly far narrower than my shoulders & my torso has a natural V shape.. you can't really tell from the photo as the coat fit is terrible on the body (more like a sack) and shoulders too small

the suit originally had a nice shape but the alterations turned it into a sack

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My shoulders aren't that narrow and my waist is certainly far narrower than my shoulders & my torso has a natural V shape.. you can't really tell from the photo as the coat fit is terrible on the body (more like a sack) and shoulders too small

It doesn't look like that at all in the first pictures you posted.

If that's the case, the suit is definitely not doing you any favors and is accomplishing the opposite of what you desire.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
It doesn't look like that at all in the first pictures you posted.

If that's the case, the suit is definitely not doing you any favors and is accomplishing the opposite of what you desire.

I agree. The tailor altered to body to fit more like a canali than a TF suit. The suit OTR gave me much better silhouette. Although I now realize the shoulders were too small.

I think if I stick with TF I either #1 start over with a 54R or #2 goto MTM

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if I stick with TF I either #1 start over with a 54R or #2 goto MTM

Are you deadset on that particular suit model?

I only ask because the OTR one you chose didn't seem to have the TF qualities - wide lapels, etc.

Why not go for a peak lapel one this time?

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Are you deadset on that particular suit model?

I only ask because the OTR one you chose didn't seem to have the TF qualities - wide lapels, etc.

Why not go for a peak lapel one this time?

I like the peak lapel but wanted a suit that could be used for both business & non-business events. I think Navy + peak is good or gray + notch IMO. The OTR one i chose had the TF cut until the alterations. I'm not big on the super wide lapels.

I liked this suit there:

windsor_blue.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - that one looks very nice.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Yes - that one looks very nice.

Yeah. I wonder which would be best. The blue 3-piece one was a little more (about another 1k)

either way - the fit on my current one is awful

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally find the peak lapels define the TF look as it accentuates the shoulders and v-shape.

But that's just me - it's really what you're comfortable wearing.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to stick w notch. If I eventually get this suit right where I'm very happy - id get the next in a 3-piece navy peak

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads