• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paying your dues, laziness, and the work-life balance...

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Those were two distinct thoughts.

Obama does work hard.

It would be more telling if you just owned up to taking a cheap shot. There's really no way to spin this:

Originally Posted by montecristo#4
This is Obamanation. Community organizers become POTUS. Hard workers need not apply.

into distinct thoughts.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
It would be more telling if you just owned up to taking a cheap shot. There's really no way to spin this: into distinct thoughts.
+1. Community Organizers work very hard and for very little. The hours, the personal time spent and the sacrifices they have to make in order to affect the lives of many in their communities take an enormous toll on every facet of their lives. Just because they don't make a lot of money doesn't mean they're worthless people. It takes all kinds of this world.

dinted voice

Reaction score
I believe it is called the "entitlement generation." Granted I am in that generation (I am 26) but I don't feel I am entitled. Personally, I love my job and strive to become better at it. Part of that is to get the money, but I also grew up where it was required of us to work hard. It is a pride thing.

Personally, I don't like how many of my peers have given all of us a bad name....oh well.

singhstyle

Reaction score
First of all, I would just like to state, a person's work-ethic and/or laziness has nothing to do with our current president, second, I can totally agree with you on people hearing rumors on a certain career not being what it really is and basing their future on that. I mean, seriously, how does a kid out of college know what being a doctor is like if they haven't spent time shadowing in the environment? They simply decide their life-plans on what someone else says. People need to shut off their ipods and start spending time with themselves and figure out what they want to do and how they want to do it. I am going in to Physical Therapy not because I cannot handle medicine but b/c I have spent time shadowing both careers and PT fits my lifestyle a little more. If I want to pursue a medical degree, I have time later on to make that decision. I have two jobs, I volunteer and I am a full time student as well, but I do think the upcoming generation will make this country collapse to the ground b/c we have too much hierarchy and not enough mind power to run it.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I agree with you 100%. I see so many people my age who have never really given a real thought to what they want out of life, and simply slave away doing something they hate for 60+ hours a week just because it's what they think they should be doing. This is especially true of people working in finance. I've been there. I am there, but at least I am conscious of it and am trying to think about how to extricate myself out of it.

The thing is, as easy as it is to condemn this attitude, it is hard to really pull oneself out of it. Humans are social creatures - their relationship to others is the primary driver of happiness in life. It is certainly true that a man who makes $50k a year and lives in social circle that makes $30k on average is a happier man than the one who makes $200k and is in a social circle that makes $1MM on average.

It really is all relative, and unfortunately, once you've taken the "red pill" and seen the high-rolling, high-wealth side of things, and made all your social connections in that circle, it is extremely difficult to completely leave it and relocate yourself into another socioeconomic plane. The feeling of loss and resentment would probably be very high. This is in essence a form of greed - where what you have does not make you happy and keeps you craving for more, but the reasoning that wealth is not the driver of happiness does not appeal to the emotions as one would hope it would.

To cut this rambling short, my point is that while I personally hate working long hours at something I am not passionate about, I feel like I've "missed the exit" a long time ago that would have put me in a more fulfilling, lower-paying job. Now all my friends are in the same situation I am in and it is very hard to break free of that and start all over. And yes, it would be completely starting all over as I could not maintain my life in Manhattan with the people I know now without the money I make now.

I agree pretty much with everything you've said.

Also, are you basically saying that you are not passionate about your current job and the rest of your career?

Also, I think we are ignoring the fact that sometimes the chance to achieve, make money, feel important attracts top talent, whether in terms of intelligence or work ethic or whatever. Therefore it's basically a self-selected group of people who are similar in certain respects. You sometimes want to stay in that group even if you are not enjoying the working part itself.

Originally Posted by Cas Ruffin
I think it's the sense of entitlement that created the financial crisis.

Way generalized.

Originally Posted by gdl203
See kwilk's post of yesterday for a counter-balance to this.

Too lazy to look it up, link?

Originally Posted by philosophe

The worst students? Business majors, with a close second for communications majors.

Well in a way I think it's part of the indoctrination - business = you will be a super cool business dude making major moneys and it's all so easy - especially on the softer sides of business. I think accounting students would probably be the more realistic in their expectations for example.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, this is not really a "kids today are terrible" rant. Just an observation about younger people in general.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
By the way, this is not really a "kids today are terrible" rant. Just an observation about younger people in general.

I long ago came to the conclusion, that each generation, as it ages, looks upon the up and coming ones and decides civilization shall end with them. Then again, I also long ago figured out, the generation currently in undergrad/just graduated figure they know everything, and that anyone over 30 is a fossil and has no idea what it's like to be young and/or how the world actually should operate. They are the generation that shall re-write the entire paradigm.

Btw, many Boomers are the most entitled ***** I've ever met.

I agree, lots of lazy entitled kids these days. But I think it has always been that way. They just get to be heard more now, with the NetWebz and Blackberries and such.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gen Ys have a huge sense of entitlement.

I also think we're unbelievably lazy, have difficulty focusing on work for longer than 20 minutes at a time, etc. I blame a sort of non-medical ADD for this - such a huge diversity of information being presented to us throughout our youths, in rapid succession, means we have a focus problem.

This has zilch to do with Obama.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I'm lazy as ****...I can barely handle cashing in my trust fund check, much less working.

Apparently your trust fund check is not enough to hire a sexy and trustworthy assistant to handle such trivial matters for you. Peasant.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Apparently your trust fund check is not enough to hire a sexy and trustworthy assistant to handle such trivial matters for you. Peasant.

I'm kidding, I work in a call center selling air conditioning. ******* assholes can't read a damn contract!!

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kidding, I work in a call center selling air conditioning. ******* assholes can't read a damn contract!!

Yeah, and I teach blind kids in Mozambique for free.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Using skype? "Yo , Imma teach ya to swear and drink bourbon!!"

You know damn right they can't afford bourbon down there, you arrogant prick!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52