• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

ABM

Reaction score
The mahogany is the Cambridge on 87F, the tan one is the Harrold on 7wk. For me the 87 holds my heels better. 87F is way sleeker as well. Instepwise it's hard to tell but I'd reckon the boots to be a reasonable choice in your case. Let me know if you need any more help.
Thank you so much for taking the time with such a detailed reply, that's very helpful. I assume you go TTS in both?

ABM

Reaction score
The main difference will be in the sole.
Absolutely correct. Apologies for the quality of my shoe sole photo, but I notice the beveled waist for one isn't quite as narrow as the Armfield on the PS website. Leather may be different too. This said, the Charles II still offers a level of detail, including a beveled, closed channel sole that belies the price and I don't see many better options in terms of value, particularly given the discounts often available at Herring.
P_20230215_160747_1.jpg

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to tell is either by the stamp on the inside (frequently hand written on AS/PS in an oval) - which lists the last, and the nail pattern on the heel.
Thanks,i have the AS Stepney and that is written in the oval,these Shipton&Heneage have this but its the same last which makes me think it's AS,toe cap medallion is very different though.
s-l1600.jpg

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks,i have the AS Stepney and that is written in the oval,these Shipton&Heneage have this but its the same last which makes me think it's AS,toe cap medallion is very different though.
s-l1600.jpg

I have two pairs of AS boots in 87, the Hannover and a pair of Chukkas from Brooks Brothers under Peal and Co. It was one of the most common lasts for their Country Collection.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pairs of AS boots in 87, the Hannover and a pair of Chukkas from Brooks Brothers under Peal and Co. It was one of the most common lasts for their Country Collection.
Yes these are going to be AS made for Shipton & Heneage...
The Hannover are nice looking boots.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those do indeed look like they're made by AS. I have pairs with both the handwritten details in the oval cut-out and printed, like on yours.

That's an 87F last, the width being F, standard.
Thanks for that....

mdjd

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just received my first pair of Paul Sargent shoes, so here’s a little review.

First, the goods: Paul Sargent Cherry Moore, on the narrower SK1 last, size 9UK. I would call it a 9.5C US.
PXL_20230302_222907984.jpg

They were very responsive and helpful to my questions about size, makeup, etc. The Moore in Cherry isn’t a standard RTW offering, but he gave me a break on the MTO charge since it’s a classic, I guess. Not counting the Christmas holiday, these arrived about 8 weeks after ordering them.

Fit: The Moore is traditionally on the 724 F (standard width) last, on the sharp end of the classic English soft square lasts. They don’t offer narrow on their lasts, but the SK1 is a narrow E last. I’d say the 9E SK1 fits like a 9.5C US. It’s a bit short, has a narrow toebox, standard/lowish instep, nice arch support, normal heel.

Compared to: Allen Edmonds 65 (Strand, etc) in 9.5D: SK1 is similar, but a bit snugger in the toe box.

TLB Picasso last in 9E (narrow): the 9E SK1 is ½ size smaller, with a less fitted heel.

Crockett & Jones 348 8.5: SK1 a bit shorter, snugger in the toe box, similar heel.

Style: Very similar to the 724. Compared to the old, Alfred Sargent Moore, the 724 and SK1 are more aggressively (Italian?) styled. You can see in the photos that the toe is more chiseled and lower – I prefer the softer, higher toe and bump that the old Moore had. The outside edge of the front half has a sharper, more right-angle line. Otherwise, they’re identical. I like the waist – it’s a soft, rounded bevel. Perfect closed channel sole.

Finishing: 9/10. Similar to TLB Artista, not quite Crockett & Jones level. Great leather, very even stitching, although not 100% straight across one of the toe caps. The only real flaw is that the dye is unevenly applied around the pinking – some of the borders have black dye, some have the lighter brown underlayer showing through.

Color: =( Extremely disappointing. These are not Cherry. Looking at different color palettes online, I would say this is closer to Brick than Cherry. In comparison to the old Alfred Sargent Cherry (which I’m selling because they’re too small), you can see the Paul Sargent Cherry is much duller brown. It has none of the subtle, deep, rich luster. More, the patina is uneven and splotchy, with lighter and darker spots everywhere. Nor is there any burnishing, or any kind of mirror shine.
Compare the old to the new:
PXL_20230303_003551368.jpg

Same pants, similar lighting, huge difference in effect:
old Alfred Sargent

PXL_20221027_142659228.PORTRAIT.jpg

New Paul Sargent:
PXL_20230303_141319685.jpg

It's a shame, the difference.

Overall, I’d say the design is great and the QC is fine, overall very nice shoes, but these aren’t the iconic Cherry Moores of the past, since they aren’t cherry colored. I don’t get the same pleasure and feeling looking at these.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads