• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing oxford shoes with chinos

Is it acceptable to pair oxfords with chinos?

• Yes, anytime, anywhere.

Votes: 45 26.9%
  • Whenever you've got that "chino + oxfords" feeling.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • In a pinch (other pants at the cleaners, traveling, Halloween costume...)

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • No, except maaaybe in a life or death situation.

Votes: 56 33.5%

• Total voters

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if we were to accept that, in some circumstances, an oxford is maybe slightly ok without a suit. I think anyone w/ a modicum of taste could agree that a derby, loafer, chukka, or even a goddam dbl monk (LE CRINGE!) would be better with chinos than an oxford.

Here are some chinos with loafers from my office today. These trousers have a particularly sharp crease so they could work with some oxfords however the loafers do suit the context much better.
IMG_7827.jpg

jack webb

Reaction score
"...or even a goddam dbl monk (LE CRINGE!) would be better with chinos than an oxford..."

Agreed on the double monk. One buckle on a shoe seems plenty monk enough.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
For me, the "dumbing down" of menswear is associating "dressing well" with "dressing up." It reduces looks to one single dimension ("is that formal or dapper or tailored or dressy?"), instead of thinking about the coherence of the outfit, the history, and the totality of the look.

i get it. You are the King of Caj.
you spend as much time with the streetwear and denim dudes as you do on CM.
most of your posts on CM are about how the suit is dead, the tie is dead, you don’t know anybody who ever has $200 dinners, everyone should “Caj” their outfits by wearing derbies or loafers or army boots.
you think the Ralph Lauren outdoors look is superior to the huntsman professional and more upscale social look.

you have made these points very clear.

but ultimate, what you keep proposing, is taking a more formal look amd dumbing it down (or dressing it down, or caj’ing it up) to fit into this more Caj universe.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here are some chinos with loafers from my office today. These trousers have a particularly sharp crease so they could work with some oxfords however the loafers do suit the context much better. View attachment 1669265

This is what I've been trying to say!

Why would you force something into an outfit when the other options are better and easier and more stylish anyway? This has a great history with Ivy style. If someone doesn't like loafers, they can wear plenty of other styles -- split toes, chukkas, or whatever else.

Along with the pant + shoe combination, it shows better taste with the socks (matches the pants and extends the leg line). It's not some random fun sock (although, I generally don't have a problem with people wearing unusual socks. It's just the way history is totally abandoned at every corner that makes the total outfit look bad).

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry and not to call you out particularly, but it appears you view classic menswear more as cosplay than an every day life option?
You rarely do wear more classic styles, but when you do you try to make it rigid and strict?

I don't usually wear tailoring because it would be out of place in my day to day. If by 'rigid and strict' you mean not wearing oxfords with chinos then yes.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Here are some chinos with loafers from my office today. These trousers have a particularly sharp crease so they could work with some oxfords however the loafers do suit the context much better. View attachment 1669265

so this looks fine…n

here is this thing:
For this outfit, loafers work fine (although you probably don’t want to become “loafers guy” so at a point you need an alternative, but I digress…)

so these pants are fine with loafers if you are looking for that look.
(NOTE:
You said the “context” fits loafers better, but we have no idea what “the context” is? Are you going out to dinner? Are you going to a PTA meeting? Are you working in a job where you face the public? Are you working a back room computer/accounting/other job? working at Best Buy? We don’t know the context here…

but there are plenty of times when you might want to dress the pants up just a bit, or just mix it up, and plenty of oxfords or chukkas or monk straps would be fine. (I would avoid derbies). A more matte/non-high shine pair of oxfords could work with those pants fine, and might be better in other contexts than what you are in right now…

now sure, why not just wear wool trousers to dress it up a touch and if you are going to wear oxfords or monk straps or a nicer pair of loafers, and I would tend to agree.
but that doesn’t mean that Oxford should only be worn with suits (the made up rule that took this discussion beyond just cotton chinos)

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I don't usually wear tailoring because it would be out of place in my day to day. If by 'rigid and strict' you mean not wearing oxfords with chinos then yes.

i actually don’t really wear oxfords with chinos (or jeans) much either (if at all). But not because I’m against it, I just don’t really wear chinos or jeans…

but the title of the thread is a bit misleading, as early on the rule was made that oxfords can only be worn with a suit and tie…

I think that’s what most people have issue with.

this outfit here is “against the rules” according to DWW

1C404432-4454-4880-8D15-6481E7D41B60.png

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Because someone told me GYW shoes were good, leading me to buy a pair of walnut strands and by golly I'm gonna wear them with everything.

i see you chime in once in a while but not really sure what your taste is.
You are definitely anti-oxfords/good year welted shoes…

so what is your shoe of choice? Are you loafers guy? Do you have orthopedic foot problems and are forced to wear ugly derbies? Are you a “man of the monk”? Do you wear chukka boots with all of your outfits?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm now on the other side. Gonna go put on some oxfords with my Momotaro selvedge today.

Sir Jack II

Reaction score
sorry and not to call you out particularly, but it appears you view classic menswear more as cosplay than an every day life option?
You rarely do wear more classic styles, but when you do you try to make it rigid and strict?

(also, don’t confuse the newer examples that are being posted that are somewhat comical as validation for DWW fabricating a rule and pushing it as he tries to further his Biz Caj agenda. The extreme examples which show oxfords looking bad without suits don’t make DWW’s made up rule a real thing. It’s completely made up, and as @Nobilis Animus has noted, he is resaorting to going to extremes because he knows that his original theory has been completely destroyed)
For the love of god, DWW did not dream up this style guideline out of thin air. He has done ample work illustrating the tradition this is based on. If you want to part ways with this, godspeed, style is an ever-changing thing, and maybe wearing ugly oxfords with bright socks and tan v-neck sweaters is the future. But fixating on DWW as the source of your insecurities about oxfords is not helping.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy