• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxxford suit sleeve shortening

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am considering bidding on an Oxxford suit on eBay.  The problem is that the sleeves are about an inch too long, and will likely need to be taken in at the shoulder.  Is there anything particular about Oxxford suits that make shortening sleeves from the shoulder a dicier proposition than using that procedure for other suits?  Thanks in advance.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and will likely need to be taken in at the shoulder
Why would the alteration need to done at the shoulder? Â One inch should not be a problem.
maybe because the sleeves have working buttonholes? IMO, nothing about oxxford would make shortening at the shoulder particularly challenging. but keep in mind that shortening at the shoulder is very difficult task in itself, regardless of the maker. i hope you're going to someone you really trust.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
smile.gif
I'm a loyal Oxxford customer, and I know the product very well. If you have to shorten the sleeve from the cuff and if there are no operable buttonholes, then this should not be an unduly complicated alteration. I cannot comment on the reasons why you might need to take-off the sleeve and shorten the sleeve from the top. However, if you need to do this you need a top notch tailor who will hand-stitch the sleeve back onto the shoulder and do all of the other hand work to re-attach the linings and paddings. If your tailor uses shortcuts, it may be cheaper, but you won't have a handmade garment, and it will neither look nor feel like an Oxxford. This type of alteration can run to about $150 or more. My own personal modus operandi is not to buy RTW that requires too many alterations. Good luck.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The suit has faux buttonholes.  (What is the point of those things anyways?)  I assume that if there is not enough excess material between the last button and the end of the sleeve, the sleeve will need to be taken in at the shoulder to preserve the buttonholes.

Reaction score
I am doing almost the exact same thing. I am readying a bid on Dolce & Gabana overcoat with faux buttonholes.

The sleeves sound to be about 3 inches too long.

Can these fake buttonholes simply be unstitched? Is there a cut in the fabric.

I presume altering the sleeve length from the shoulder on a coat would cost more than for a suit coat.

If I have to go this route does anyone have any suggestions for a tailor in midtown Manhattan?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume that if there is not enough excess material between the last button and the end of the sleeve, the sleeve will need to be taken in at the shoulder to preserve the buttonholes.
Ahh . . . a search reveals what should have been patently obvious: faux buttonholes are sewn on and can be removed easily.

acole

Reaction score
My experience so far with the faux buttonholes and freelance or store tailors (Nordstrom, e.g.) is that they just rip out the "embroidery", shorten the sleeve, and replace the buttons.  IOW, they don't re-do the fake buttonholes automatically, and no one I've gone to so far has agreed to do it when asked specifically.  Something to keep in mind, if such details are important to you.

shqiptar

Reaction score
A good tailor should be able to shorten the sleeve by the shoulder. I had mine done last week and the jacket looks better.

My problem with the suit jacket or blazers is that I have short shoulder bones (a lot of mediterranian men have the same body type), but I'm athletically built. When I put on a RTW jacket at the top of the sleeve a "dent" is created, and it doesn't look nice. So, this lady tailor told me she could cut a bit the edge of the shoulder (not the top of the sleeve), and re-sew the sleeve again.

Well, she did quite a good job. Also, I have found two more tailors that are willing to do this kind of alteration for a reasonable prize. Usually they'll do it for around $100. For me it's worth it, because it's the kind of alteration I'll need in the future whenever I buy a RTW suit/jacket/blazer.

One thing though, it's very difficult to find good tailors to do such extensive alterations. It takes a while to find a good one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads