• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ordering off the menu

ts4them

Reaction score
No! This is so rude and unacceptable, especially in a 3+ star restaurant. You are basically telling the chef that none of his creations are good enough for you (maybe if you're a celebrity it'll fly). Many chefs will take it as a slap in the face, the rest will think you're just a pain the ass; as will your server. They've planned and prepped for what is on the menu, and if you're lucky there are specials. If you are truly interested in the chef's talents, order a tasting menu and they will ask what items you would or would not like to be served. These will be special creations that are off the menu. Mind you, not many restaurants offer tasting menus (mostly 4 stars), but I highly recommend them. You can even have the sommelier choose the wines to go with each course. Those have always been my fave dining experiences.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
this reminds me of the scene in the movie Big Night , where the american lady asks for a side of spaghetti with her seafood risotto and the chef brother was enraged at the thought of it. haha

Patron: "Why doesn't my spaghetti have meatballs?"
Brother: "Sometimes spaghetti just wants to be alone"

laugh.gif

That was such a good movie.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off the menu's popular at Asian (mostly *** & Chinese for me) places because the dishes that might not be on the menu are you popular the cooks know how to make them anyway. I've done it a few times but not often

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Burger King allows you to "have it your way."

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chilean Sea Bass.....at most places its off the menu. I have it at least 5 times a month, its honestly addictivly good. Polos in Houston makes it just right.

Regards.

heavyd

Reaction score
depends on how far off the menu - they are in the hospitality biz and usually take a certain amount of pride in being able to make you happy.

a-rock

Reaction score
i think its always safe to ask if the chef has anything special up his sleeves that evening. that's hardly rude and depending on the place, it might be a flattering request.

rolling into a nice joint and saying, "you know, none of this looks appealing... can you whip up X, Y, and Z" on the other hand is rude.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Another thing about chinese restauraunts; I just don't know how they manage to often have over 50 different items (sometimes nearly 100!) on their menu's when conventional european/north american restauraunts only offer 15-20 different dishes.

Because most of those items are all variations based on the same ingredients. They're prepped and cooked exactly the same way but they just add a different sauce at the end. The stuff offered at continental restaurants is more complicated to prep and cook.

Histrion

Reaction score
I never order off the menu as intended by the OP.

However, when I go to a restaurant and they have something special on that day that they recommend me, I will often order it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads