• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on Synthetic Diamonds for an engagement ring

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
The emotional issue is still there, of course, but you'd have to know your woman to decide if that's an issue. Most will not like it, and it's probably best not to test those waters on an e-ring.

/thread.

My girl got a .75ct ruby in a platinum setting that the jeweler designed and cast for me. Beat the hell out of forking over for a diamond that she didn't want anyway; she told me in advance that she'd prefer a colored gemstone.

Upshot: I got to invest in a custom semi-bezel setting from which armageddon itself will not dislodge the stone. We know of too many ladies with dainty pronged settings that don't get worn because they're too delicate.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another option would be a vintage ring. My friend's (former) girlfriend has mentioned on many occasions that she would prefer it, since the simpler cuts of older diamonds don't make them as amazingly shiny, something that she wasn't a fan of. You do get the emotional issue about somebody having to sell off grandma's old ring or one from a failed marrage if you go that route though.

MasterOfReality

Reaction score
If the price is comparable, i'd rather get the natural diamond.

At least you know some effort has gone into mining and cutting it.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I don't get is the ridiculous amounts of money people spend on rings... three months salary? **** that. My friend just got engaged a few weeks ago and spent $8000 on the engagement ring... that's money they could've saved and put toward the house him and his fiance will need... or ****, even the wedding itself! What's wrong with like a $2000 ring?

MasterOfReality

Reaction score
^^^ either way, marriage is just a big industry. You will get screwed somewhere along the line with the price of things.

Go in for the cake. Oh for a wedding huh, 80% price jump.

Ditto for reception places.

Same with photography - I remember State Government places in Sydney demanded a registration fee to be paid before wedding photos could be taken on their grounds.

Price of the ring is all relative - I spent close to that amount but I have my financial affairs in order. No way I would spend 3 months salary on the bloody thing though, I draw the line somewhere.

I had the old 3 month thing told to me by a mate who got married a few years ago. He actually believed that garbage and went out and bought a $20k ring. Madness.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I realize that the entire marriage industry is just out to get your money.

But just a question — even if you have your finances in order, isn't spending $8000 just to wear on someone's finger kind of a waste? And why does she get that and guys get a few-hundred dollar wedding band. Doesn't seem fair to me.

MasterOfReality

Reaction score
True, at least my fiance returned the favour by purchasing a Tag Grand Carrera Calibre 8 as a gift. So at least thats something in return
smile.gif

She reckons she had it all planned as soon as I proposed to her. I had no idea about it until she handed me the wrapped box.

My mate got sweet **** all from his missus - she is as wide as a house and goddamn useless as well.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well that's a beautiful watch, and a nice gesture from the missus. Is it common for the woman to get the guy something too? I think I'd want that, personally.

MasterOfReality

Reaction score
Cheers, it did take me by surprise. I was actually looking at the watch at one stage and she must have noticed.

I don't think its all that common - I certainly didn't expect it and its not done in our family.

She reckons she got the idea from her cousin who bought her now husband a watch in return for a ring.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No doubt. I know it's not customary, and probably happens infrequently, but it makes me think. Why should the woman get an expensive thing and the guy nothing? Doesn't seem fair, you know? Just something to ponder, I guess.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gfreeman
No doubt. I know it's not customary, and probably happens infrequently, but it makes me think. Why should the woman get an expensive thing and the guy nothing? Doesn't seem fair, you know? Just something to ponder, I guess.
It isn't, and it's a vestige from a time where the ring would provide some form of security for a marriage that would likely involve her submission to you financially, sexually, & emotionally.

Which is why it's a litmus test for the so called 'modern' woman - a good one to sort the I-want-it-alls from the keepers.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Synthetic=Fugazy!! Damm......rent Donnie Brasco!! Don't be like Lefty!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads