• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on Synthetic Diamonds for an engagement ring

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djblisk
Instead of talking about synthetic diamonds you guys are just throwing in your 2 cents about a diamond should mean.

DeBeers has spent a lot of money over a long period of time to ensure this.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MasterOfReality
If the price is comparable, i'd rather get the natural diamond.

At least you know some effort has gone into mining and cutting it.

You still have to cut a man-made gemstone, they don't use grow faceted
laugh.gif

I can't find prices for colorless man-made diamonds (no one sells them), but the colored ones are WAY cheaper than natural stones, like 1/10th the price or better. Yellow and blue diamonds are horrendously expensive, I've seen some for $100k+ that are equivalent to $5k man-made stones. I'm probably going to get a man-made yellow for my wife sometime in the next few years.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
The common terminology is "lab-grown," to avoid the synthetic tag. "Synthetic diamond" is usually marketing speak and means cubic zirconia, etc and not actually a diamond. These lab-grown diamonds are 100% the real deal, just created in a lab instead of naturally. They're really nice, about the only way colored diamonds will ever be affordable.

The emotional issue is still there, of course, but you'd have to know your woman to decide if that's an issue. Most will not like it, and it's probably best not to test those waters on an e-ring.

Yup. My gf doesn't mind a lab grown diamond and would love it regardless. She wants us to save money on the ring so we can guy a home.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the price is comparable, i'd rather get the natural diamond.

At least you know some effort has gone into mining and cutting it.

There are some people out there who would like to not contribute to the mined diamond industry because of its practices. This post is ridiculous.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
small real > large fake.

Small real = small lab grown.

reading and researching is your best friend.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, at least my fiance returned the favour by purchasing a Tag Grand Carrera Calibre 8 as a gift. So at least thats something in return
smile.gif

She reckons she had it all planned as soon as I proposed to her. I had no idea about it until she handed me the wrapped box.

My mate got sweet **** all from his missus - she is as wide as a house and goddamn useless as well.

That is awesome!

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
DeBeers has spent a lot of money over a long period of time to ensure this.

True. It is now so ingrained in everyone, that the rest of the posts still talk about the same issue that I have been trying to avoid. What a diamond means should mean.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True. It is now so ingrained in everyone, that the rest of the posts still talk about the same issue that I have been trying to avoid. What a diamond means should mean.

What was the point of your original question? If the girl is okay with it, then there is no difference, other than cost.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cost. But does anyone have experience with buying one? etc. etc.

spb_lady

Reaction score
There are some people out there who would like to not contribute to the mined diamond industry because of its practices.

what's wrong with the industry? did i miss something?
eh.gif

(hope they don't kill whales for diamonds)

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spb_lady
eh.gif

(hope they don't kill whales for diamonds)

Nah. just children.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would be hesitant to marry a chick that wouldn't be cool with (or really, prefer) a lab grown diamond to a debeers stone.

If she can't see the value of man-made it means either:
-She can't figure out that diamond is a structure of carbon and that a diamond is a diamond whether it was grown in a lab or in the ground--I don't want to marry no dumb chick!
-She can't see through the advertising campaigns--I don't want to marry no sheep!

Of course...by the time I get married, I hope more people have gotten this through their thick skulls. Also, lab grown diamonds should be even better (and really...if you are going to go diamond for your lady, wouldn't you want the most perfect stone possible?).

spb_lady

Reaction score
Nah. just children.

I really was never interested in this theme... just googled about the industry and found out that they call diamonds "blood diamonds" because the money for selling them are used for buying weapons for african mafia... which means more and more people will be killed in fights.

Is it what you meant?
eh.gif

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spb_lady
eh.gif

Horrific damage to the environment, destabilizing influence on various Third World hellholes, hording/price manipulation/monopolistic tendencies/intimidation against competitors, other various evil by De Beers, etc, etc. I bought a natural diamond and don't feel bad about it, but I'd buy a lab-grown in a heartbeat if they were available at a competitive price. I'm a chemist, my wife is a chemist. I talked to her about lab-grown stones, she didn't care as long as it was pretty. She didn't want a CZ though. I looked around and ended up getting a natural simply because you can't find lab-grown colorless stones. Alas.

MasterOfReality

Reaction score
There are some people out there who would like to not contribute to the mined diamond industry because of its practices. This post is ridiculous.

Why is the post rediculous?

As someone who designs underground and open pit mines for a living, I appreciate what goes into producing diamonds, from the initial mining right through to the finished product.

True, different countries have different work standards, but that applies to nearly every industry, not just mining.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads