• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Online MTM suiting startup needs YOUR input!

untitledcc

Reaction score
Hi SF'ers! We're a group of guys who are currently in the early stages of launching an online made-to-measure suiting shop, and we wanted to reach out to the community here and solicit some input from everyone. We realize that there are already some major players in this field, including Indochino and Black Lapel, and while those companies are certainly great in their own right, we believe that there's always room for another innovative, customer-focused company that offers a quality product, especially in such an embryonic industry. At the end of the day, we want to offer a quality product at an affordable price point - all backed by the best possible customer service.

With that in mind, what are some things that you would like to see incorporated in our new service? What are some issues with existing online MTM models that you'd like to see addressed? Any specific product-related requests? Floor's yours!

Last edited:

themodestman

Reaction score
Hey,

Congrats on the business venture! I have seen excellent customer service from most suppliers (Blank Label, Indochino, etc.). One thing that I'd like to see from every online MTM (some already do this) is complete transparency when it comes to materials, thread count, fabric quality, etc.

Also, it would be great if body type was taken into account. It's great to be able to measure yourself (or have someone else do this), but it would be nice if there were a starting point. For example, I'm short and thin. I'd love it if an online MTM knew that that meant my collar should be more narrow than normal, you know?

I run a style blog for men under 5'8" (themodestman.com) and really love the new wave of online MTM clothes.

You going to do polo shirts or tees?

-Brock

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What differentiates you from other places?

Also how do you address the self-measure dilemma? If you look at the monstrosities that are posted daily on the forum and that's people on the forum who like clothing. There's a large % of people who purchase but don't post.

TheDandy

Reaction score

if theres 1 thing that the internet needs, its more offshore mtm operations

I agree!

Transperacy: Where is the fabric really woven.

The best advice I can give is don't ever use the word bespoke to decribe your product!

Best of luck!

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi SF'ers! We're a group of guys who are currently in the early stages of launching an online made-to-measure suiting shop, and we wanted to reach out to the community here and solicit some input from everyone. We realize that there are already some major players in this field, including Indochino and Black Lapel, and while those companies are certainly great in their own right, we believe that there's always room for another innovative, customer-focused company that offers a quality product, especially in such an embryonic industry. At the end of the day, we want to offer a quality product at an affordable price point - all backed by the best possible customer service.

With that in mind, what are some things that you would like to see incorporated in our new service? What are some issues with existing online MTM models that you'd like to see addressed? Any specific product-related requests? Floor's yours!
I went to the Indochino travelling operation to check it out and maybe steal a few ideas, but really, I came up empty. They are serving an entirely different demographic - namely, the Banana Republic crowd. All of their photography, design, fabric choice, etc all point in the direction of super mass market, which I am sure is great economically for them, but this forum probably isn't the place that's going to be most receptive to that. Online isn't particularly suited to MTM, and having a travelling operation like Indochino is an expensive but effective way of getting people over the hump. Honestly though, what about the economics of the situation makes you think this is a good business plan? It's so high touch, which makes me worry about scaling and cost of customer acquisition.

TheDandy

Reaction score

I went to the Indochino travelling operation to check it out and maybe steal a few ideas, but really, I came up empty. They are serving an entirely different demographic - namely, the Banana Republic crowd. All of their photography, design, fabric choice, etc all point in the direction of super mass market, which I am sure is great economically for them, but this forum probably isn't the place that's going to be most receptive to that.
Online isn't particularly suited to MTM, and having a travelling operation like Indochino is an expensive but effective way of getting people over the hump.
Honestly though, what about the economics of the situation makes you think this is a good business plan? It's so high touch, which makes me worry about scaling and cost of customer acquisition.

This type of business could be operate with almost no overhead, all you have to do is find a mtm manufacturer in asia, build a nice website and foward the order as they come in. Customer satisfaction is purely on how you handle the claims. Customers acquisition could be a little high but if you think that if there is no sale you basically have no expenses.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads