• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of double stitching on smooth worsted fabric, but to each their own.
Spoiler: old codger ruminating how things used to be.

At the time of my NYC apprenticeship in the 70's the paradigm was to do hand stitching on the edges of the jacket so fine you couldn't see them. Barely perceptible. Very refined sewing was valued.

Things evolve over time

Just sayin'

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoiler: old codger ruminating how things used to be.

At the time of my NYC apprenticeship in the 70's the paradigm was to do hand stitching on the edges of the jacket so fine you couldn't see them. Barely perceptible. Very refined sewing was valued.

Things evolve over time

Just sayin'

Any pictures of your stuff from the 70's?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any pictures of your stuff from the 70's?
No pictures.
I regret not keeping suits I made back them. Would like to see them now. Out grew my personal suits and gave them away. Would be interesting to see the styling and how they would have held up.
Especially the first two suits I made for myself. One was the deepest, darkest shade of brown with a silver beaded stripe and alternating pinstripe. The other was a flannel from Wain Shiel in a blue/grey shade. Color like the 520 shade of Minnis fresco. Both were 1BPL. Got the most comments of these two suits, more than any others.
Remember all the details of those two suits like the ties and shoes I wore with them. Frequently stopped and asked about the flannel suit when walking on the street.
One thing we did was press a crease along the side seams from the armhole to the hem. Really defined the shape and line of the suit. Something you don't see anymore. Only machine work was the long side seams, darts and making the pockets.

Last edited:

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No pictures.
I regret not keeping suits I made back them. Would like to see them now. Out grew my personal suits and gave them away. Would be interesting to see the styling and how they would have held up.
Especially the first two suits I made for myself. One was the deepest, darkest shade of brown with a silver beaded stripe and alternating pinstripe. The other was a flannel from Wain Shiel in a blue/grey shade. Color like the 520 shade of Minnis fresco. Both were 1BPL. Got the most comments of these two suits, more than any others.
Remember all the details of those two suits like the ties and shoes I wore with them. Frequently stopped and asked about the flannel suit when walking on the street.
One thing we did was press a crease along the side seams from the armhole to the hem. Really defined the shape and line of the suit. Something you don't see anymore. Only machine work was the long side seams, darts and making the pockets.
So you’re a proponent of the sbpl 1b too!

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No pictures.

I'm having visions of you walking the strip like Saturday Night Fever.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A1E40A38-95CD-4A5F-A030-9EE7E6196958.jpeg

Here’s my first MTM through The Armoury from Ring Jacket. Glen plaid in dark grey Fox Air.

Doing up this fabric next....limited ed “chocolate and chestnut” Fox flannel

71C9AD49-DE84-4D5B-B8A0-320CAA98A30B.jpeg

Here’s how it looks on Douglas from Fox.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have any experience with Fox Bro’s own bespoke tailor ? For got his name...

I do not. Yet.....

I just dipped my toe from off the peg/OTR to MTM recently (as in the last year)

I’ve tried Drakes MTM, Sartoria Carrara at No Man Walks Alone and Ring Jacket via The Armoury

I do very much like the look of things I’ve seen made by the tailor at Fox Brothers.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not. Yet.....

I just dipped my toe from off the peg/OTR to MTM recently (as in the last year)

I’ve tried Drakes MTM, Sartoria Carrara at No Man Walks Alone and Ring Jacket via The Armoury.

I do very much like the look of things I’ve seen made by the tailor at Fox Brothers.

Which maker do you prefer?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which maker do you prefer?

Background, I've done one commission each with Carrara and Drakes and two with Ring Jacket. They each have different silhouettes so there’s that.

I’d say value wise, Carrara and RJ tied for my favorite, with Drakes second.

Drakes has a very different (unstructured/casual) style that works for certain items, but at this point I’m gravitating more towards the Carrara/RJ style.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
Love the RJ suit. Have you posted pics of your drakes or Carrera tailoring? I’d love to see them!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads