• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He does "Skype Fittings" (he did a few for European customers). He gets some measurements/photos from me over Instagram dm and ships out the fittings to me. I live in NY state as well so shipping is still within 2-3 days. I think this is his preferred method right now.
Even if there wasn't the chaos going around, I doubt I would drive up to Sacketts Harbor, NY (where his shop is).

This is actually my first time working with Frank. He had a "sale" for two days and I took up the offer.
Did you meet for measurements?

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lapels came out f'ing fantastic! I'll be trying this on next week!
Fastest updating bespoke project in the thread! :rotflmao:

fitting1.jpg
fitting2.jpg
fitting3.jpg

clothingfun

Reaction score
Hello again and I hope everyone is staying well.

I still have a couple of bespoke projects in progress. However, they are in a bit of a holding pattern unfortunately as current events are certainly not the most favorable for traveling tailors. Hopefully someday soon.

I decided to scratch my sartorial itch by ordering something that doesn’t require fittings! Bespoke cuff links.

I ordered a couple pairs from a native silversmith I have done business with for a little while now. My first pair was recently delivered and I had a chance to wear them today and wanted to share (I believe this is the proper thread to do so.)

I have really liked mountain lions ever since I was a young boy and thought it was a cool idea. Here is the very first rough draft he sent as well as a couple photos of the finished product.

IMG_5838.PNG

IMG_5814.PNG

IMG_5841.PNG

Toninno

Reaction score

I still have a couple of bespoke projects in progress. However, they are in a bit of a holding pattern unfortunately as current events are certainly not the most favorable for traveling tailors. Hopefully someday soon.

I decided to scratch my sartorial itch by ordering something that doesn’t require fittings! Bespoke cuff links.

I ordered a couple pairs from a native silversmith I have done business with for a little while now. My first pair was recently delivered and I had a chance to wear them today and wanted to share (I believe this is the proper thread to do so.)

I have really liked mountain lions ever since I was a young boy and thought it was a cool idea. Here is the very first rough draft he sent as well as a couple photos of the finished product.

View attachment 1366192

View attachment 1366193

View attachment 1366194
Extremely elegant cuff links. This guy is the real deal.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1366192

View attachment 1366193

View attachment 1366194
Pretty cool. But why opt for the swivel back? I think something that nice and personal deserves two identical ends.

clothingfun

Reaction score
Hello again everyone and I hope everyone is well. I’m honestly surprised (in a good way) in regards to how much of a positive response I have received. Both here and via PM. I appreciate all your kind words. I will try and make this reply very brief but I have received a fair number of sincere questions.

@Toninno - You are correct in that this gentlemen is indeed the “real deal.” I have been a pretty serious collector all my life and his work is excellent. Duane, the silversmith who made these, used to have a very small website but I believe it doesn’t exist any longer. However, here is a little information about him I thought you may find of interest:

@brax- Interesting thoughts. Honestly it is something I just never considered. However, from what I understand, with identical end cuff links the inside end is smaller. Given the nature of overlay silver working, the detailing probably wouldn’t work in a smaller space. In fact, Duane actually had to make these a bit larger than I normally like to make the mountain lion look right.

Either way, I really like these as they are and my other pair that is in the works will be the same. You offer a very interesting suggestion for a future pair however. Thank you for your thoughts.

Lastly, to those who messaged me about including lapidary and stones. Classic Hopi overlay doesn’t normally use stones and I wanted to keep it traditional. However, stones aren’t overly uncommon either and he does work with them upon request. I am also in the process of having a tie made that will include turquoise and pink coral. When discussing details, Duane sent me a couple examples of pieces he is working on for other clients. The first tie photo is a finished piece the second is a work in progress.

I just thought that photos could answer the lapidary questions much better than I could explain Also, it’s just neat stuff to look at. Thanks again everyone! When my other cuffs links and tie are finished I would be delighted to share a picture if anyone is interested.

IMG_6746.PNG

IMG_6747.PNG

IMG_6656.PNG

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

View attachment 1366192

View attachment 1366193

View attachment 1366194

Joe Exotic, is that you?

JK JK

clothingfun

Reaction score
Joe Exotic, is that you?

JK JK

:):)

I just like this type of stuff and wanted to share. Where I live it isn’t considered exotic or unusual at all. Hopefully folks here from other parts can appreciate the craftsmanship. Like a fine bespoke tailor, this type of jewelry making is a very unique and difficult skill to master. Duane is a very talented man.

If any of you fellas are ever out this way I would be delighted to take you out on a mountain lion hunt so you can see what you have been missing out on!

During these strange days I have found reading SF and engaging in these conversations from time to time to be a nice little “escape” so to speak. Thanks everyone!

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frank has been doing fantastic work. I'll be trying it on this week. Then it'll just be the sleeves and collar left.
Frank's favorite look: strong 1930s, unapologetic shoulders.
That waist to shoulder difference ?

basting1.jpg
basting2.jpg
basting3.jpg
basting4.jpg

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Frank has been doing fantastic work. I'll be trying it on this week. Then it'll just be the sleeves and collar left.
Frank's favorite look: strong 1930s, unapologetic shoulders.
That waist to shoulder difference ?

View attachment 1367037 View attachment 1367038 View attachment 1367039 View attachment 1367040

Holy cow this is freaky fast. Like, Indochino with their 14-day turnaround and thousand man factory in Dalian is watching and going "Damn that Shattuck guy can move..." If I can catch up on the timeline here, 12 days ago Frank announced the one-day discount to fill a hole in his schedule and you came running with lust in your eyes. It only took 1 week to go from that to the first muslin fitting and for you to pick a new cloth to replace the old one. And now, like five days layer, the jacket is already almost all set for another fitting. Amazing.

Looking forward to the final result, which I guess will be here sometime yesterday....

Edit: This might be more of a question for Frank, but how detailed were the two sessions you've had so far? His reputation as such a purist for the old ways had me very surprised when he suddenly became a pioneer of sorts for online true bespoke, e.g. I can't imagine him trusting you to measure yourself online-MTM style. But I guess 40 years of experience probably allows him to size you up pretty good even before going to the measuring tape...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads