• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What were your thoughts on having a one button jacket in such an informal color? Just to be a bit bald and daring (nothing wrong with that) or is there any other reason? I am not completely sold on one button jackets (unless they are dinner jackets) and if you have to have one made, I would opt for peak lapels in a dark blue/gray color in a very formal material. I don't want to be disrespectful, just curious about your choice and the reason behind it. I can see it being right up your alley but I just wonder why you opted for the one button closure.

There’s really nothing inherently formal about one button, even though it’s mostly typical for black tie today. Tbh, I just wanted to try something new.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s really nothing inherently formal about one button, even though it’s mostly typical for black tie today. Tbh, I just wanted to try something new.
I second that. I wear alot of my one button blazer suits with jeans and odd pants and they look fine...depends on styling though. I only do this look if I'm wearing a turtleneck or v neck with OCBD

NycLondon

Reaction score
I just got my first bespoke ever. I thought I would "start small". Not having any nice gloves, I took advantage of the Hestra trunk show in NYC in 2017. The glove cutter is a family member, and claims to be the youngest glove cutter in the world. Most are in their 60s he told me, I am 33. I enjoyed the material and design selection process. It took 5 month to get the gloves made! I had to pay IN FULL up front. When I finally tried them on, I could not really get them onto my hands. I pointed out the irony that bespoke gloves did not "fit like glove" to shop, and was told it was my fault. Aspects of my design selection had been changed by Hestra. After 2 more months, nothing was done. So I now have an expensive pair of gloves I cannot wear.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Just placed my next order, gave my tailor pretty much free hands on this one. Gonna be a sb tuxedo in 12 oz midnight blue fresco by J.J Minis

I'll be interested to see how this comes out. I've been contemplating the feasibility of a lighter-weight, more open-weave tuxedo and haven't really found the solution. I assumed mohair would be in the equation for weight, but tuxedo cloths generally feature a very tight weave so as to give it a more formal appearance. Unsure how Fresco will look -- the crunchiness seems at odds with a formal rig and I can't imagine it juxtaposed with silk/satin/grosgrain facings -- but wishing for the best.

OscarO

Reaction score
I'll be interested to see how this comes out. I've been contemplating the feasibility of a lighter-weight, more open-weave tuxedo and haven't really found the solution. I assumed mohair would be in the equation for weight, but tuxedo cloths generally feature a very tight weave so as to give it a more formal appearance. Unsure how Fresco will look -- the crunchiness seems at odds with a formal rig and I can't imagine it juxtaposed with silk/satin/grosgrain facings -- but wishing for the best.
I have to admit I was a bit surprised by the fabric as well, but I know my tailor is great at this. He promised me I will never wear one of my my off the rack tux’s again. Should be done pretty quickly, usually only need one fitting with him as he is quite dialed in to my fit.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got my first bespoke ever. I thought I would "start small". Not having any nice gloves, I took advantage of the Hestra trunk show in NYC in 2017. The glove cutter is a family member, and claims to be the youngest glove cutter in the world. Most are in their 60s he told me, I am 33. I enjoyed the material and design selection process. It took 5 month to get the gloves made! I had to pay IN FULL up front. When I finally tried them on, I could not really get them onto my hands. I pointed out the irony that bespoke gloves did not "fit like glove" to shop, and was told it was my fault. Aspects of my design selection had been changed by Hestra. After 2 more months, nothing was done. So I now have an expensive pair of gloves I cannot wear.

Leather will stretch & break in over time. You want the gloves to be snug initially; otherwise they’ll be too big when you break them in.

DouglasE

Reaction score
New SC though Sartoria Corcos. Fabric is Fox flannel Chocolate PoW, 16-17 Oz. Feels great! Shirt from Abbarchi.

D6518CE8-BBEC-453D-8E84-6507E026C4EB.jpeg

NycLondon

Reaction score
[QUOTE="jonathanS Leather will stretch & break in over time. You want the gloves to be snug initially; otherwise they’ll be too big when you break them in.[/QUOTE]

No I want to able to get the glove on to my hand!!!!!!!!!!!

flvinny521

Reaction score
No I want to able to get the glove on to my hand!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you'll need to arrange yourself and all of your friends in order of hand size, smallest to largest. Smallest-handed friend wears gloves for a week, then ships them to the next in line. Repeat as many times as necessary until the gloves reach you. Problem solved.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads