• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Pair of High Value English Shoes? Which and Why?

dcginwv

Reaction score
I'm headed to London, later this summer, and I'm interested in picking up a pair of English dress shoes. For the most part, probably an oxford (in some shade of brown) that I can easily wear with a navy suit, tan trousers or even a decent pair of jeans.

I'm new to this little end of the pond and starting market research now. Any suggestions on decent brands for no more than $500? I'm currently musing Cheany, Church's and possibly Crockett and Jones.

Any suggestions on English manufacturers (and models, for that matter) that yield a great bang for the buck invested? Huge thanks in advance for any insight given.

SW1Y

Reaction score
If you want to stay within your budget I would go to Cheaney (bought back by members of the Church family), if you are willing to increase your budget, go for Crockett & Jones. Given that Church's are owned by that big italian brand and seeing their recent collections and the quality of leather, I'd say driving sales up is more important than delivering an outstanding product.

Include the cost for a decent pair of shoe trees in your purchase as well. You are about to spend a significant amount of money on a fine pair of shoes, it would be a shame if you don't look after them properly. Keep in mind that, albeit the quality, finishing and grades of leather used, are usually of a higher standard than less expensive shoes, these won't necessarily last you any longer than said less expensive shoes. The refurbishing services offered by most brands obviously extend the lifespan of your shoes, but prices vary from 100 to 150 GBP for the shoes in the price range you have in mind.

That said, my first pair of English made, goodyear welted shoes was a Hallam in dark brown (see below). A more contemporary take on an all time classic, the cap toe Oxford, the Hallam has a slightly extended and chiseled toe.

To be honest, I find this shoe a little too dressy to wear with jeans unless you would opt for the suede one. If you want to go for slightly more versatility and be able to dress your shoes up and down, I'd go for a half brogue like the C&J Westfield or a full brogue (wingtip) like the C&J Finsbury. The round toe of the latter models is not as contemporary as the Hallam, yet it's not an overly conservative wide round toe as C&J's Connaught.

Crockett & Jones Westfield

Crockett & Jones Finsbury

Apart from the brands you mentioned you might want to look into brands such as Bowen (Alfred Sargent), Barker, Trickers as well. I don't have any personal experience with these brands, but they are made (for the most part) in Northamptonshire, price range varies.

Enjoy the ride!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads