• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deciding between Shoe Brands

EinnUlfr

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to buy 3 pairs of shoes, and I'm debating between 4 brands (price range of ~£450 per shoe). Would appreciate guidance from anyone here

I'm going to buy 2 loafers (one calf black one suede brown) and a chukka boot. I'm trying to get the most bang for buck here

Brands I'm debating buying from: Yearn Shoemakers, Vass, Carlos Santos (hand grade where possible) and TLB Artista. Also open to any other suggestions. I was contemplating Enzo Bonafe but think it will be too expensive.

I'm London based so I wont be able to try any of these except for Yearn and maybe Carlos Santos

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does not make any sense when there are so many brands you can actually try on in London.

If money is tight Berwick offer good value loafers and chukka boots.

EinnUlfr

Reaction score
Thanks. £450 per shoe can still get you some good shoes in London (Carmina etc), but my main issue is for that amount, you can get much better value from places outside of the UK

wozniak

Reaction score
I am new to fine shoes, but I will never again ever buy a fine shoe online unless I can find a store to try them on. There are too many different types of lasts out there. Even within the one brand I have settled on - certain models/lasts don't fit me or fit me but at a different size.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am new to fine shoes, but I will never again ever buy a fine shoe online unless I can find a store to try them on. There are too many different types of lasts out there. Even within the one brand I have settled on - certain models/lasts don't fit me or fit me but at a different size.
This is good advice and doubly so when buying loafers where you can't really make do if it is a little big. If you can't try on I would make sure you can easily return.
I have a couple pair of Vass I got from NMWA. No loafers but I like them.
How about Crockett jones.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crockett and Jones is pretty close to your price range indeed.

Of the one's you listed, Vass is easily the best constructed shoe.
You can probably try some on at this shop in London since they are listing online:

They have P2 and F lasted models, which are Vass' most "normal" lasts.

Once you know your sizing - I have found P2 and F convert fairly true to UK sizes, you can order directly from Vass. I assume you can order VAT free to UK (we can to US - and its a huge pricing boon).

EinnUlfr

Reaction score
Crockett and Jones is pretty close to your price range indeed.

Of the one's you listed, Vass is easily the best constructed shoe.
You can probably try some on at this shop in London since they are listing online:

They have P2 and F lasted models, which are Vass' most "normal" lasts.

Once you know your sizing - I have found P2 and F convert fairly true to UK sizes, you can order directly from Vass. I assume you can order VAT free to UK (we can to US - and its a huge pricing boon).
Thanks for this. Problem is they don't have loafers that I can try on in my size. I don't think I can say if the oxfords fit me, the loafers will as well given there is very little adjustment you can do to a loafer.

I'm thinking of either going C&J (perhaps Handgrade) or going all out and getting EG/G&G.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this. Problem is they don't have loafers that I can try on in my size. I don't think I can say if the oxfords fit me, the loafers will as well given there is very little adjustment you can do to a loafer.

I'm thinking of either going C&J (perhaps Handgrade) or going all out and getting EG/G&G.

Yes, loafers are a bit of a problem.

Even in C+J loafers are a problem (I'm half a size down on Cavendish compared to others for example).

C+J Handgrade is maybe slightly better than Vass in quality, but the price difference is greater than the quality difference.

EG is great, but thats like 3x the budget you listed.

EinnUlfr

Reaction score
Yes, loafers are a bit of a problem.

Even in C+J loafers are a problem (I'm half a size down on Cavendish compared to others for example).

C+J Handgrade is maybe slightly better than Vass in quality, but the price difference is greater than the quality difference.

EG is great, but thats like 3x the budget you listed.

Yeah I know - that's why I dont prefer C&J. I was looking into Yearn as they seem better made than Vass, but no suede options / no chukkas.

Re EG, I keep saying if I'm not getting the "best" ie C&J and will most probably upgrade in the future when I can travel, why dont I get the best now and save the difference?

Hurts the wallet a lot more, but could make sense if my only choice is EG or C&J Hangrade (Or Yearn?)

Eucris

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to buy 3 pairs of shoes, and I'm debating between 4 brands (price range of ~£450 per shoe). Would appreciate guidance from anyone here

I'm going to buy 2 loafers (one calf black one suede brown) and a chukka boot. I'm trying to get the most bang for buck here

Brands I'm debating buying from: Yearn Shoemakers, Vass, Carlos Santos (hand grade where possible) and TLB Artista. Also open to any other suggestions. I was contemplating Enzo Bonafe but think it will be too expensive.

I'm London based so I wont be able to try any of these except for Yearn and maybe Carlos Santos
Don't overthink this or compromise on quality. Take a trip to Northampton and visit the EG and C&J factories. Whilst you are at it consider visiting Paul Sargent in nearby Rushden.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know - that's why I dont prefer C&J. I was looking into Yearn as they seem better made than Vass, but no suede options / no chukkas.

Re EG, I keep saying if I'm not getting the "best" ie C&J and will most probably upgrade in the future when I can travel, why dont I get the best now and save the difference?

Hurts the wallet a lot more, but could make sense if my only choice is EG or C&J Hangrade (Or Yearn?)

Yearn is not better than Vass.
Vass is, construction quality wise, arguably better than anything listed here besides EG.

The question with Vass is whether you like the styling.

EinnUlfr

Reaction score
Yearn is not better than Vass.
Vass is, construction quality wise, arguably better than anything listed here besides EG.

The question with Vass is whether you like the styling.
I thought Yearn would have comparable quality to Vass given they are entirely handmade + materials seem relatively high quality.

Agree as construction doesnt always = good looks. For example, I think the EG Piccadilly Loafer is the best penny loafer on market looks wise.

I might only get 1 shoe for now which is the EG Piccadilly Loafer and wait a few months to reevaluate. Dont think Chukkas from Vass make sense so will have a browse in London / EG?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads