• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On solid and solid-like jackets/shirts/ties...............................................

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So as an antithesis to the pattern threak, in this threak I'll talk about my feelings on pulling off the solid and solid-like shirt/tie/jacket/suit without looking boring. Keep in mind these are my opinions, not some dogma or rule that I want the world to follow. I dress like this the majority of the time, with the occasional FU jacket thrown in. How is this different than the conservative business dress thread? In a way its not except that sportcoat fits are pretty non-existent there and also things like pinstripe suits and multi patterns are posted over there. If that stuff gets posted here, I'm deleting it. Pinstripes scare me :cry: Also, no loud sportcoats with solid tie/solid shirt. We get that, its not really difficult.

I find that there are two issues with people trying to dress in this manner. The first is that they seem to think they look to boring and need to spruce it up with either a super loud tie, some #menswear accessories or crazy shoes. "Well I was wearing a solid sportcoat/shirt and pants so I figured I'd wear the green croc double monks". The second issue is that they in fact do look boring due to the outfit just not being cohesive, wrong textures/colors etc . So hopefully this thread will evolve into people posting their pics, maybe looking for suggestions etc. The stuff below is just stuff I threw on quickly for the pics, again its how I dress but I there are obviously many different combo's that can work.

Here is a basic outfit (pants would be grey, any shade, ideally flannel and dark brown suede shoes), you can add a solid blue shirt here, I just has this handy. Solid jacket, solid tie, basically solid shirt. No pocketsquare. Boring at fist glance but look at the texture in the jacket and the tie. They add visual interest. A solid brown tie, at least in these parts, is a pretty rare occurence, it adds enough contrast to the blue of the jacket and shirt, no need to add more color in terms of a square or multi color shirt. Simple and sweet but well dressed at the same time, keep in mind the dark brown suede shoes.

002-6.jpg

003-4.jpg

Basically the same outfit, but this is a suit (same suede shoes), two colors but a textured jacket and a textured tie. Enough visual interest that you don't need more flash/bang. Let the simplicity stand on its own.

004-4.jpg

005-6.jpg

Lastly, a silk neat tie in a sportcoat fit. I don't like silk prints with textured coats, I think they look out of place. The same holds for textured ties with worsted, just looks wrong to me. Here is basically a worsted sportcoat (slight herringbone pattern and the fabric is actually cashmere) and a texture shirt (jersey cotton like a polo shirt) with a silk print. Again, not a lot of colors, very basic look but there is enough visual interest that all I would add are solid pants (grey or brown) and brown shoes.

006-2.jpg

008-3.jpg

emptym

Reaction score
Good thread, Ed, since (1) I like your other thread, but I fear that people might just think it means they need to wear a ton of patterns all the time, and (2) this is how I usually dress. :embar:

Rich0116

Reaction score
I about fainted with delight at the sight of that blue tie. Is that the Panta mohair denim tie? Cause if so, I may need one.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great thread. I've competely discarded blue jackets and grey pants combo. I have also stopped wearing solid blue shirts with navy jackets. My rendition of ths s charcoal suit, white shirt, light colored tie. Or navy linen suit, striped oxford shirt, black knit tie. So on and so forth.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A+ thread already. Thanks for doing these, Ed.

thank you.

Good thread, Ed, since (1) I like your other thread, but I fear that people might just think it means they need to wear a ton of patterns all the time, and (2) this is how I usually dress. :embar:

well, one can take a little bit from the pattern thread, a little bit from this thread and do well I think.

I about fainted with delight at the sight of that blue tie. Is that the Panta mohair denim tie? Cause if so, I may need one.

thanks, yes it is.

BTW, my favorite outfit that has been posted here in a while is below. Its actually a patterned suit and the shirt is patterned too but think of this as a solid grey suit and solid shirt for all intents and purposes. I would only take away the square as I think it adds nothing and go with black shoes (although I think I understand the loafers). The cut of the suit, the shirt collar, the textured tie, lots of visual interest, anymore stuff and it just detracts.

[/URL]

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Good thread, better than Foo's thread featuring timotune.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Subscribed.

Ed, I love all three of your example fits. In the lingo of another thread: Would hit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads