• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alorable
yeah, i guess you are right. i wasn't thinking...

on another note, do you know which pair of rrl (slim vs strait) have a fit similar to 514s?

thanks!

I have no idea which year or generation your RRL's are from but in general the straight cut tends to be their more 501 model.

brandall10

Reaction score
Oh great whodini (or anyone else)...

Question about rise.

Let's take two jeans... one has a 9" front rise, 14" rear. The other has a 10" front, 13" rear - is 1) their rise pretty much the same, and this difference is usually due the seam at the crotch being further back relative to the pelvis? OR 2) an indication that the front part of the jean comes up lower on the belly, but higher on the back? IOW, a different kind of cut that would likely be more flattering for a person with more booty? OR 3) both, and this is one of those things where measurements fail you and you just have to try the jean on?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brandall10
Oh great whodini (or anyone else)...

Question about rise.

Let's take two jeans... one has a 9" front rise, 14" rear. The other has a 10" front, 13" rear - is 1) their rise pretty much the same, and this difference is usually due the seam at the crotch being further back relative to the pelvis? OR 2) an indication that the front part of the jean comes up lower on the belly, but higher on the back? IOW, a different kind of cut that would likely be more flattering for a person with more booty? OR 3) both, and this is one of those things where measurements fail you and you just have to try the jean on?

1) The rises aren't the same and 2+2 will not equal 4 in this scenario. Check around the site and you'll see how people are deadset in their preferences for the front rise: anything below 9" is "ballcrushing" or anything over 11" is an "trad/old man" cut. Few people really notice or care about the back rise. 2) Exactly. 3) That's another thing entirely and completely subjective IMO. How a jean will fit your ass depends on a whole lotta factors like your size, shape, what the yoke is like (high/low), pocket placement, pocket size, how you think your jeans should fit based on how you normally wear them, etc. Measurements can help give you an idea of comparison to what you already have but they can't really give you the full picture.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
so you would order a 9.5 in the future? or even further to a 9?

I think I would go 9.5. I would have to try them out though...if they were ridiculously tight I wouldnt risk it though.

They did stretch like 1/2 a size on me and they fit "perfect" when I tried them on in the store. So I think I would go for whatever feels "a little small" when you first try them on. They arent too big on me but it enough that sometimes I almost trip when walking up onto sidewalk curbs haha

8bpc

Reaction score
Tried on the Endovanera Most Jacket in a size small, but it was a bit too tight in the shoulders. I am considering picking it up in a medium, but the sleeve length measurements appear to be the same. The jacket is not produced in short, regular, long - so I assume it is a regular cut. What do you think of the sleeve length?

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many apologies as I know this question has been asked a million times and I've searched and read and still really don't have an adequate answer.

I recently bought some RRL raw denim from a forum member (thanks Dshin). They fit fine but on the loose end. I believe from what I've read here that RRLs are sanforized, but it's not entirely clear as I have another pair of RRLs which I bought from a forum member (thanks Rach) that actually say "sanforized" on them.

So, long story short, I want these to fit tighter, should I hot soak them for a few hours and hope for the best or should I get rid of them and size down? I have some one wash RRLs in the same fit which appear to fit identically, so my guess is that these are sanforized and that if I were to soak them or wash them once they would shrink a little and stretch to the same size they are now, but be a little softer. And yes, I do have a bit of an RRL problem at the moment but I love the feel of the denim at all stages and the cut works for me.

Many thanks for anyone who knows the answer and apologies for wasting anyone's time if there is a readily identifiable source for the answer.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I decided I want a Sterlingwear peacoat. Which is warmer, the Authentic, or the Navigator ?(I want one with six buttons) And I know there's a billion and a half threads on this, but if I'm 5'9'', 150 lbs., with a 38 in. chest, 32 in. natural waistline, what size should I get for a slim look that I could layer under with?

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Ok, I decided I want a Sterlingwear peacoat. Which is warmer, the Authentic, or the Navigator ?(I want one with six buttons) And I know there's a billion and a half threads on this, but if I'm 5'9'', 150 lbs., with a 38 in. chest, 32 in. natural waistline, what size should I get for a slim look that I could layer under with?
you should use sterlingwears sizing chart to at least help you. also i don't know the weight of the navigator but the weight of the authentic is 24oz wool. i hopefully get my classic one next week in the mail. edit: i mixed up classic and authentic i think authentic is 24oz wool.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crosswound
you should use sterlingwears sizing chart to at least help you. also i don't know the weight of the navigator but the weight of the authentic is 32oz wool. i hopefully get my authentic one next week in the mail.

Yeah but the site suggets sizing up one, and SF suggests down one, so I'm still not sure.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where can I get an alternetive to this Nom de Guerre anorak that I can afford?

1-2.jpg

I'm thinking the Uniqlo Zip Up Hooded Windbreaker would be a good option.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
seems like the best, I could try to find the NdG Drivers jacket from a few collections back used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads