• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

deadAngle

Reaction score
Ideally you would want balmoral or button boots in plain or quarter brogue styles, but regular oxfords should do the trick too. Captoes feel like they'd work a little better on the boots than the oxfords, but you should be all right.

The Millennial Gentleman

Reaction score
Some of the questions and answers are very interesting. The blog topic is really good so people can feel free to ask. Personally, even I had a doubt about the men’s hand accessories. Online, I had seen a wide range of hand accessories for the wedding at Manyavar. But I had a question- Are hand accessories for men really so trending for weddings?
Judging by the website, I would think you to be somewhere near India? In that case, hand accessories might indeed be on the rise/norm as they usually signify high class or royalty in a place where gold is still king.

In the U.S. hand accessories are generally out of style for a little. About 10 years ago, a nice small pinky ring was in...times change.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll defer to our resident expert, but wouldnt a simple pair of black captoes be sufficient for a morning suit?

I don't claim to be the resident expert by any means, but yes. A pair of cap toed or punch cap oxfords are more than sufficient.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not stress too much about what shoes to wear with your morning suit. Any black laced shoe in good condition well polished will be good. I would go for a black captoe but at my wedding I wore black brogues and my son wore black jodhpurs with his morning suit at his.

pi34

Reaction score
Have a Memorials Day wedding on the Cape. Type of group/crew where I'm sure seersucker will be abound. Debating between two suits from the bay...leaning towards #2 for more utility. Just not sure if the pattern is too distracting for a wedding.

IMG_2488.PNG IMG_2487.PNG

bronamath

Reaction score
Could use some help on completing my outfit. Vintage inspired wedding in the afternoon at Disney world. Here's what I have and think would work, but could use some opinions..

I own a navy suit that fits me well from black lapel https://blacklapel.com/shop/suits/navy-blue-custom-suit

I was able to score the last pair of Oak and Bone colored AE Broadstreets from the shoe bank in my size

I also have a pretty cool Brooks Brothers shirt from the Gatsby collection that isn't ridiculous old-timey looking, but has some vintage flourishes..

brooks-brothers-white-the-great-gatsby-collection-supima-cotton-slim-fit-buttondown-oxford-solid-dress-shirt-product-2-7839461-111122401.jpeg

I could use advice on a good tie to go with this, as well as perhaps a vest? Was thinking of going with something grey/brownish for the vest if I even need one. No idea on a tie, don't wear them much so could really use an assist.

Also for groomsmen. I was thinking of just having them wear their nicest grey or navy suit and a white shirt. For their ties, I was thinking of gifting them complimentary wedding ties, as well as a pair of spectator shoes (like the above, although cheaper/easier to find).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Pandawan

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm getting married in several months and I have a question about the attire for my groomsmen. I'm wearing a dark charcoal suit and I'm trying to decide what to have my groomsmen wear. I know that black suits at weddings is "taboo" but all my groomsmen have black suits already. I don't want to make everyone get gray suits as they are all in different financial shape. The bride doesn't care if they wear black, and honestly neither do I.

Is this OK or considered unacceptable?

Thanks

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm getting married in several months and I have a question about the attire for my groomsmen. I'm wearing a dark charcoal suit and I'm trying to decide what to have my groomsmen wear. I know that black suits at weddings is "taboo" but all my groomsmen have black suits already. I don't want to make everyone get gray suits as they are all in different financial shape. The bride doesn't care if they wear black, and honestly neither do I.

Is this OK or considered unacceptable?

Thanks

Congratulations on your wedding. Basically, here's the deal. Black suits are frowned upon for a number of non-wedding specific reasons. I'll spare you my own diatribe on the subject. In short, they are generally seen as too stark for business / daytime wear and they also go with a limited number of shirt and tie combinations (a lot look cheap, but that's a separate issue that is suit specific). These weaknesses can be at least partially offset if your wedding is in the evening (not sure since you don't say) and if one is wearing a white shirt and wedding tie in the silver / grey color range, each of which should be relatively easy to ensure. Oddly enough, a wedding might be the second least bad place for a black suit (the least being a funeral). Morning coats can be made in black, as can the old semi-formal stroller that doesn't get worn much (of course, each of these has contrasting trousers).

Under the circumstances, the best solution may be to simply have each of your groomsmen wear their best dark suit even if it's black. It's not ideal, but I get not wanting to make everyone buy a new suit (even if they really should replace their black suits for the sake of their sartorial souls). Ultimately, it's up to you. It's your wedding and they're your friends.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you can afford to buy your groomsmen new suits, or if they can afford to rent suits, then I'd insist on a specific color. If not, go with what ya got. That's not a rule, just what I would do. I agree that black is an unfortunate color for nearly every man to have their one suit in, but if that's the biggest problem at your wedding then you're doing ok.

pi34

Reaction score
I feel like the biggest thing is that your bride doesn't actually care. It's not a terribly big deal then, IMO... as someone (posted above) decided to just wear a suit that is a little more business than casual to the most recent wedding I had to attend rather than drop a few hundred on a suit (and hotel...and driving... etc.)... weddings are pretty expensive for attendees (too) as is.

Pandawan

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm just going to have them stick with the black suits. We are all wearing dark purple (plum ties). I hope it turns out OK.

DSauerwald

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen!
Thank you all for the sound advice I've gotten and overheard on this thread. My wedding was about six weeks ago, and I thought I'd post some pictures. Pardon the goofy expressions and artsy black-and-white at the bottom: I chose the images that show the clothes to advantage, not necessarily the people in them.
weddingstyle2.jpg
weddingstyle3.jpg
weddingstyle4.jpg
weddingstyle5.jpg
weddingstyle1.jpg

Tuxedo: Michael Andrews (sample sale)
Shirt: CEGO Shirtmaker
Bowtie and square: Drake's
Cufflinks, studs, braces: Vintage
Shoes: Allen Edmonds

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads