• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tried to push for the lanvin boutonniere for my wedding (this weekend!) but was shot down by my future wife.

On another note, I hunted around NYC for days but couldn't find a decent cummerbund. I tried Paul Stuart, Bloom, Barney's, etc but they either were sold out or had anemic looking specimens.

Anyone have any last minute suggestions for finding a wider cummerbund under $150?

I have one from Brooks Brothers. It's decent but not amazing.

tm42

Reaction score
Dark Blue Suit tie Combo suggestions....?

I'm getting married in September and am going with a dark navy eHab Benjamin suit. I work in the medical field so don't wear suits except funerals, weddings, and interviews. Overall I'm just looking to look nice in a suit, not the trad wedding attire.
There will be no matching ties, no matching suits and no color coordination between myself and anyone in the wedding. The only color coordination that I will be attempting will be between the tie, the boutineer (similar to the one posted on SF a few weeks ago with succulents and a dash of color) and the pocket square that I will have made for me by my sister in-law.....

My big question is tie selection. Is solid navy tie too much? Navy with whiten dots? Should I avoid a navy tie? I am digging a slubby textured tie.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the idea of a slubby texture tie - maybe a gray/silver textured tie. I know Yellow Hook makes some tremendous textured ties. I was going to go that route but got nixed by my wife. She preferred the traditional wedding tie. That said, I was like you (I posted a pic a few pages ago) - straightforward navy blue suit, simple light blue shirt and a silver wedding tie. I felt that a navy tie would have been too dark. I think a pindot navy tie would be a bit better, though.

tm42

Reaction score
well done on your part @gumercindo
Thanks,
Having seen the recent post on putthison.com I've been eyeing a few on Vanda..... the shantung as well as others.
If I could figure out how to easily post the pic's of the one's i'm thinking about I would...

In the meantime
http://vandafineclothing.com/store/neckties/401-navy-grenadine-piccolo-weave.html
http://vandafineclothing.com/store/neckties/554-navy-white-dot-shantung-grenadine.html
http://vandafineclothing.com/store/neckties/670-navy-cream-double-bar-shantung.html
http://vandafineclothing.com/store/neckties/348-blue-striped-raw-silk.html

Harold Nguyen

Reaction score
I'm trying to do something more fun and not as traditional (as in I don't want to wear a black or blue suit). Would this outfit be appropriate for a wedding if I were to change the shoes (or belt) and add a tie?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Harold Nguyen, whose wedding is it? What are other guests wearing? Traditionally one would wear a navy suit, white shirt, wedding tie and black shoes to a wedding that is not black tie. If you're going to depart from this, there should be a reason other than you wanting to do it (unless it's your wedding and the bride is on board). There are valid reasons to depart from traditional attire, but wanting to do something more fun isn't really one. Unless it's your wedding, it's about honoring and respecting the bride and groom vs. wearing what you want.

Harold Nguyen

Reaction score
Good points, you're right I don't want to be disrespectful but it seems like a lot of people will be wearing light colors as well. The wedding is a high school friend's. What do you think based off of that?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Check with the couple. Some wear lighter colored suits at certain summer weddings. It's tough for me to say, hence the suggestion to err on the conservative side unless you are sure to do otherwise.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Good points, you're right I don't want to be disrespectful but it seems like a lot of people will be wearing light colors as well. The wedding is a high school friend's. What do you think based off of that?

Here is my take.....

IF....and that is a big IF.....that is your usually style, then I can see it being fine. If both the bride/groom knows that you are not a traditional dresser and always wears outfits outside of the "norm", then what you have suggested is not a stretch.

IF, that isn't your style and you just want to do something different/fun...DON'T. A wedding is not really about you having fun clothing wise.

Last edited:

pickles11

Reaction score
Back to needing shoe suggestion for my wedding. Wearing black 3 piece suit (you can see a photo in the previous messages) and have opted to not go with a patent leather shoe. Would going with a cap-toe oxford be formal enough? I've been told to stay away from wingtips as they may be too "busy" for my suit. Looking at a pair of Pradas as well as a pair of Allen Edmunds as potential candidates.

bg1991

Reaction score
Yes, sorry, another "what to wear for my wedding" post. I've researched for weeks, but I think my situation is unique enough that the general advice I've found won't suffice.

I'm getting married in Italy in January and am trying to figure out what suit option is best for me. I believe that my correct size is 36L (6' 3" - 160 lbs) and I prefer slim fitting suits. Currently, the only suits I own are 2 Men's Wearhouse 38L BOGO budget suits. I am willing to spend up to $1200-$1500 (less would be nice though) on a quality suit, but I'm not sure if it will be worth it, since I rarely wear suits.

I've been researching a lot over the past month or so, and I've come up with a couple of options.

1) Get my currently poor fitting Men's Wearhouse Pronto Uumo 38L suit tailored to fit better. This is the cheap way to go. I don't necessarily think this suit looks terrible, but I'm not sure if I want to wear it to my wedding and in Italy, the land of fashion.

2) Order a MTM suit (either Hickey Freeman or Samuelsohn) I recently went to Nordstrom's, and the SA said that I am a 36L and he recommends ordering a MTM, as finding a 36L suit will be nearly impossible. This will be a pricier option, and I'm not sure how well they can make a suit for an odd size like mine. From browsing the 36L threads, they said to be careful with MTM, as it can be difficult to modify an existing pattern to a 36L-ish shape properly. I can either order a HF from Nordstrom's or local men's stores, or I can order Samuelsohn during an upcoming trunk show in September.

3) Find a suit at an outlet store like Nordstrom Rack or Sak's Off 5th. This seems to be the clear choice most people provide when I was browsing the wedding attire threads, but my 36L shape makes this problematic. I didn't find any 36L suits when browsing in person and online at the suggested retailers. Would it be possible to get a 38L or even 40L and tailor it down to fit me? Should I keep hoping to find a 36L, or give up and realize it won't happen?

4) Buy a suit in Rome. From reading the 36L thread, it seemed like 36L is more common in Europe. I will be in Rome for a week before the wedding, so it might be possible to buy a RTW 36L in Rome. I'm not sure this gives enough time for tailoring, and it would be stressful knowing I HAVE to buy a suit in that week. I'm also unsure of how expensive suits are over there.

5) Buy another cheap suit (in correct size this time). One of the only places I found a 36L is on JAB's website. This is a cheap option, if MTM or outlet stores aren't the way to go.

Which option would you suggest, given my situation? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go for 3 and 4 - keep looking for a suit where you live but if you cannot find the right one, Rome is the capital of a fashion obsessed country with plenty of men's shops and the average Italian is not a heavily built as the average American so a 36 L should be easier to find.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads