• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
I've watched the movie a few times now and I've forgiven some things that irked me after the first viewing.

But one thing I can't let go of is the ho-hum reveal that Han is Kylo's father.

"Hey you know that droid everyone's after? It's on the Falcon with YOUR DAD!"

You had a chance to make a dramatic reveal later in the movie and blew it on unnecessary exposition between Kylo and the Giant.

Could have easily alluded to some sort of relationship without saying it outright so damn early in the movie. Keep the mystery going for at least a little bit.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I cringed when Rey was schooling Han on the mechanics of the Millenium Falcon. Pretty heavy handed to have a "you go girl!" moment overlap with tearing down a male character everyone grew up admiring.

I don't think a boy today can watch this new movie and be inspired by a male character in the same way he would by watching the original trilogy.

I believe she speaks to him about parts that were modified on the ship after he had ownership of it. The man who owned it in the junkyard was the alien buying scraps off of her and for whom she did work for. She had knowledge of these modifications because of that. I agree it was heavy handed, but I disagree that it represented tearing down Han Solo anymore then the moment in the OT where C-3PO explains what needs to be fixed on the ship to him. Han pretends to already know it then goes and tells Chewie to make the repairs.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought not trying to hide the ball about Ren's origin was a pleasant inversion of audience expectations. That being said, the Han Solo death scene was atrocious, especially on a subsequent viewing.

Ren is supposed to be genuinely conflicted (at least, they tell us he is), but, apparently out of a need to manipulate the audience to create suspense about what he's going to do, it comes off as Ren screwing with Solo. His lines seem to vacillate between cruel and inexplicable.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've watched the movie a few times now and I've forgiven some things that irked me after the first viewing.

But one thing I can't let go of is the ho-hum reveal that Han is Kylo's father.

"Hey you know that droid everyone's after? It's on the Falcon with YOUR DAD!"

You had a chance to make a dramatic reveal later in the movie and blew it on unnecessary exposition between Kylo and the Giant.

Could have easily alluded to some sort of relationship without saying it outright so damn early in the movie. Keep the mystery going for at least a little bit.

I pretty much disliked Snoke in the film, but think it's understandable why they went the reveal in that way. It seems obvious they didn't want it to be compared to the ESB "I am your father" moment. Having it come out so casually prevented this.

This may have been backed up in an interview I read a while ago, but I am not sure. If I come across it again I will share it here.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ren is supposed to be genuinely conflicted (at least, they tell us he is), but, apparently out of a need to manipulate the audience to create suspense about what he's going to do, it comes off as Ren screwing with Solo. His lines seem to vacillate between cruel and inexplicable.

Watching it a second time, I didn't think he was screwing with Han. If anything, he knew he was gonna kill him as soon as he stepped onto the bridge....he just needed a little push. Kinda like ripping off a Band-Aid or losing your anal virginity.

The light from the sun going out was a little too on-the-nose (as most of the things in this film were) but hey, it's a Star Wars movie.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pretty much disliked Snoke in the film, but think it's understandable why they went the reveal in that way. It seems obvious they didn't want it to be compared to the ESB "I am your father" moment. Having it come out so casually prevented this.

This may have been backed up in an interview I read a while ago, but I am not sure. If I come across it again I will share it here.
Snoke looked a bit like the genie from Alladin had been hit with the ugly stick a couple dozen times.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm certainly not claiming to have beaten up more girls than you have.
This is a gross misrepresentation of the actual discussion. I said I thought the little girl('s mother) who wrote that note misunderstood what a "strong" female character is supposed to be. You asked me elaborate on it. Then you interjected with the diversity schlock, which I had said was distracting -- and it is. It was a very deliberate decision to change the composition of the casts to push present-day political issues, that has nothing to do with the story. It reminds me of the "Only Sith speak in absolutes" horseshit from the prequels. It's not like I'm the only person who's brought it up, as the "diversity" of the cast has been fawned over extensively by professional reviewers.

If anything, you're the one pushing both of these issues. So grab a mirror and tell me what you see, Doc.
I'm just reacting to you. During the course of the movie, yes, I noticed the hand around the world cast of X-Wing pilots (incidentally, a nod to the diversity of the Rebel Armada in ROTJ), but it didn't register on my emotion meter at all. That yours was one of annoyance and irritation speaks volumes about you. After all, this is a story that happened in a magical land. Your reaction would be much more justified if say, the movie has been about, say, Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, and he inexplicably has Morgan Freeman, playing a Moor, as his mentor/sidekick. But, it's not. It's Star Wars. Regardless of the politics of choosing an ethnically diverse cast, that there was an ethnically diverse cast should not make the Star Wars world more implausible, for anyone.

Not sure that I have it in me to say that again.

Re. Rey. C'mon man. Your objection to her in this thread far predated the silly note that the 8 year old girl channeling her angry mother wrote.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's a sad thing that some people get their panties in a bunch about Hollywood making an effort to include a more diverse cast in films. How is this not a good thing unless you just have a hard on for seeing white males on screen?

Fok it was more than just a nod. As much as people keep saying this film was a direct plot rip off of ANH, it really did mix in elements of all the OT films. The ending battle felt much more ROTJ with the cut aways to a lightsaber battle then it did the final of ANH.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm just reacting to you.

Oh, good. I'm not one of those psychoanalzying types, but I was afraid you were going to say something like, well, manifesting these insecurities by going on about how you attend "fight gyms," what you might be trying to justify or excuse by elaborating about how women aren't defenseless and could hold their own against men, your apparent need to come to womens' defense as if you felt you had something to atone for, all that--I dunno, like I said, I wouldn't know where to start.

So you just kept pressing me on something I'd said briefly before, then used the fact that I replied to you to call me obsessed or something. Fair enough.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So can we move past this and get back to nerding out over the movie despite its many flaws and shortcomings? :)

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd like to start a petition to remove Left's signature from that petition.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FernMays