1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. otc

otc Well-Known Member

What? He clearly says "hottest bush pilot this side of mos eisley" and then speaks diminutively about the T16s.

Dude went from flying a Cessna to flying the space shuttle.

I'm not bothered by it, but lets not pretend that it wasn't movie magic that put him in the pilot seat to begin with. Sure he was saved by Han and the others...but how is that any different from Rey being so conveniently helped by a bowcaster to the stomach and a few rounds against a strong male stormtrooper to wear him down before he faced her?

There are many better things to be bothered by in the film (like pretty much everything about death star 3), but they don't involve sexism so we just say "well, that's movies" and move along.

3 people like this.
  2. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

in the movie itself Biggs says to Rebel Commander more or less smth like this " Sir, luke is best Bush pilot in outer rim territories"

Cessna comparison is good

but movie did effort to set him up as a capable pilot I have no problem with that, wouldn't work irl but is somehow consistent with movies logic

Rey picks up lightsaber first time and beat someone who had years of training, that's something completely different Because we saw time and time again in the movies how less trained person gets manhandled each and every time. See Dooku beating Anakin easily, Dooku beating Obi-wan easily, Vader beating Luke. Having shitloads of force don't help in duel vs forceuser without training. At least that was established in earlier movies.

Also Finn wounds Kylo. A fucking janitor, who for all we know is not force sensitive and gets owned by TR-8R. It just paints Kylo as weak. Rey should destroy him next time they meet based on that fight.

there are a lot of bigger flaws with ANH
    - Leia 'this ship is tracked so let's go to our main base'
    - deathstar genius level engineering, followed up by DS2 in ROTJ with even bigger hole inside.
    - star destroyers shield generators placed in domes above bridge and weakly armored.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Well-Known Member

Perhaps Rey did have training?

1 person likes this.
  4. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

that would tie up some lose ends, if she was trained as kid but doesn't remember for some reason

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

I think this is the assumption we're all supposed to make. Not latent abilities per se, just untapped for years.

1 person likes this.
  6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Dont worry guys... you can still complain shes a woman.

7. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

yes the same way we complain about Ripley in Aliens, moron

8. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

I'm sure if the internet fueled echo-chamber of sexism was around back then people would have.

9. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

You almost never hear crticism of Brienne of Tarth but loads of criticsm for all scenes involving sand snakes. Same for Ripley in Aliens which is widely considered best sci-fi film ever. You just bought in to feminism narrative of some echo-chamber of sexism which doesn't really exist bro, you can see very few actual sexist comments.

vast majority of criticsm everywhere is
    - unbelievable badly written characters
    - obvious progressive agenda pushed in some movies vide- new ghostbusters(plus trailer is shitty as fuck)

1 person likes this.
  10. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

So none of the criticism over the past 20 pages has been because she's a woman?

1 person likes this.
  11. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

FTFY

The vast majority of criticism I have heard about the movie (outside of this thread and a few others) is #1 and the story line. No one I have talked to has brought up #2.

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

You're right, dude. Saying there's not a single woman on the planet who doesn't want some random man to hold her hand in scary situations isn't sexist at all. And there's no racism in people getting all upset because THERES NOT NEGROES AND ORIENTALS IN SPACE DUDE!!!!

Most of you are smart enough that you should be able to understand:
    1. The fact that there are perfectly legitimate, non-sexist reasons for criticizing the movie's internal logical consistency and/or that of the Rey character doesn't mean that many of the comments that are half-heartedly framed as neutral film criticism aren't rooted in sexism and/or the poster's complete ignorance of what women are like outside of comic books and video games.
    2. Conversely, the fact that that there's a shit-ton of mouth-breathing sexism and racism running through the thread doesn't prove that there are no legitimate, neutral grounds for criticizing its narrative believability (as distinct from whether it's "realistic") or internal consistency, or for that matter the general quality of the film-making.

Two separate points, not binary opposites.

2 people like this.
  13. origenesprit

origenesprit Well-Known Member

Ripley didn't beat the Alien in a one on one duel using her overwhelming skill and power.

1 person likes this.
  14. lawyerdad

Nor did she and a sidekick take on a whole army brigade with revolvers.

[​IMG]

15. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

What me and ataturk said is that she was untrained, same would be said for Finn if he managed to beat Kylo. Would it make my criticsm racism then? :/

If others are bringing up this point is probably because she is TINY female not over 6ft big woman like Brienne in GoT. Why you assume is it sexist? This criticism is wrong anyone because physicality is force enhanced in star wars lore with old farts moving fast and doing all sorts of back flips and jumping.

16. origenesprit

I haven't seen that movie in years but
    I think they died

1 person likes this.
  17. lawyerdad

Fair point, but to the question you asked: if that criticism is brought up only with respect to a a female lead character/hero, while the same critics seemed to have no problem with the old farts kicking ass, isn't it fair to draw inferences why the lack of "realism" bothers them so much in one case but not in the others?

18. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    So a bunch of the usual suspects didn't jump on criticizing Rogue One because it also features a female lead? I'm just imaging that?

1 person likes this.
  19. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Oh no, I did criticize it for that reason. I think that comment incited this threadjack

"I rebel." Yeah, ok.

20. origenesprit

If Felicity Jones beats up Darth Vader after never having held a lightsaber before, you may hear some people bring up similar gripes.

Honestly the problem is less that Rey was awesome and more that Kylo was lame. Wouldn't succumbing to the dark side by killing his father only have empowered him and his connection to the force, regardless of the crossbow blast?