1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Unrealistic fight scene from politically correct (at least by then-prevailing standards) feel-good movie of my youth.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  2. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

Did a billion people watch it? Having other examples of bad story telling in movie history isn't much of a point.

By the way when Rey and the ex-storm trooper went in their first space fight I already inwardly groaned. Ray and the stormtrooper were just too excellent at space fighting.

space fighting

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Not much of a point? Clearly I had no business posting it here, then.

1 person likes this.
  4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Yup, I'm sure fighting doesn't tire people out, and wouldn't affect performance in any way.

And being shot shouldn't matter either right?

Give it up.

5. otc

otc Senior member

Finn wasn't a god damned janitor. He was a storm trooper, trained from birth, who had to do janitorial duty while a weapon was being built... Mostly for the comic relief, since he could have just been garrisoned there and still known nothing (nobody thought be was a nuclear engineer).

That's like calling the guy who mops the deck a janitor when he is really a full member of the navy who has to wash things when not fighting.

2 people like this.
  6. wojt

wojt Senior member

i know, I called him a janitor[trollface] because he had no buisness facing a force user this fight should be as long as Han Solo vs Vader I get it was done to set up Rey, but still I do not buy how Finn&Rey vs Kylo was done obviously.

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

Such a great movie.

lefty

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Fucking sucked when his motorcycle got pushed in the lake.

9. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

Different movies. Can't compare them.

10. origenesprit

You're right. I hate women.

Edit: Seriously though, don't you think this fight made Kylo seem lame? Darth Vader seemed unbeatable throughout the entire series. If your lead character beats your lead villain in the first film of a trilogy, it's not a great start. Episode VIII really should include a training montage showing Kylo learning how to be a better swordsman.

11. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

If anything, I'd say that this conversation plays right into the movie's narrative. I think it was intentional that viewers would watch Rey and think "WTF?" and question how she could be capable to doing the things she does.

I've been thinking that she's sort of like a spacegoing Jason Bourne. She has lost her memory of who she is, but she still retains a lot of her skills and apparently some of her other talents are closer to the surface than others.

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

Took me years to even watch another Dillon movie let alone like him in anything. Asshole.

lefty

2 people like this.
  13. wojt

wojt Senior member

that's good point, but sadly it made Kylo look like a bitch

14. venividivicibj

I don't think he's supposed to be the lead villain, or at least not yet. Seems like more of a growth story (IMO)

15. origenesprit

You're probably correct - his redemption is definitely going to happen, probably to team up against the real "big bad" whether that be Snoke or someone else.

16. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

Which brings up a point that has always sort of bugged me about the SW universe: how is it that a mass murderer gets to be "redeemed" by a couple of virtuous acts? Vader killed countless people but somehow turning on the Emperor and saving his son one afternoon made that all okay? Kylo murders his own father along with a bunch of helpless villagers, but we're all fully expecting him to somehow turn things around and maybe get Leia a Mother's Day card by this time next year. It's kind of troubling, really. It's like having Stalin do all his Stalin stuff and then save a puppy from drowning in a pond and all of a sudden he's everyone's hero.

1 person likes this.
  17. venividivicibj

So, you don't want us to forgive you?

18. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

Nah, you can definitely forgive me. I've only killed like 80, maybe 90 130 people so far. But I was kind to my dog today so that counts for something.

19. venividivicibj

Its easier to be nice to you, since you're dead.

20. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Nailed it. I brought up this exact point a while back. Disney's simply trying to expand the market of a beloved franchise to more young girls so they grow up fans just like many young boys did with the OT.