• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
What just tipped me off is that the Raf Simons black dress shoes I wanted on Mr. Porter were $900 - and were sold out. But they were $765 at Park and Bond - and they had my size.

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Welcome to yesterday.

Yes but really depends on the items. Checkout the raf toggle coat,
Mrporter sell it for 1890
Park and Bond sell it for 1300+
and the corner has it even cheaper. I don't know why they have difference in pricing.

In fact I sometimes find some items on mrporter is cheaper

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I'm waiting for some idiot to ask if apc raw denim is going to be on sale and/or complain that it is not.

One of the first things I learned from this thread, but I still find it silly that APC raw denim does not go on sale

Why is it silly since they have it year round? They should go on sale only to be restocked at full price a couple weeks later?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

Yes but really depends on the items. Checkout the raf toggle coat,
Mrporter sell it for 1890
Park and Bond sell it for 1300+
and the corner has it even cheaper. I don't know why they have difference in pricing.
In fact I find some items on mrporter is cheaper

For sure, it all depends on the item. Mr Porter is a dope website when all's said and done. Makes online shopping very easy.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
It's probably to offset the free shipping/returns and elaborate packaging but I don't mind (well I do mind the excess waste as a result). Their service, selection, user experience is top notch.

They just need help in the styling department as it still has that sterile corporate feel to it but whatevs.

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I know a porter customer service representative well, and I asked her about the pricing policy:

She said MrPOrter buy stuff from designer directly and mrporter can decide whatever they want to sell it for, but also need to negotiate price with designer.
Some items is more expensive because the country of the item was made and various import tax issue.

For same jacket, burberry boutique has is for 1595 but porter has it for 1520. When I receive the jacket I found porter people cut the MSRP part of the tag, which means you don't know the MSRP unless you go to boutique and ask.This happened to my other items as well.

afixedpoint

Crossfit
Reaction score

Why is it silly since they have it year round? They should go on sale only to be restocked at full price a couple weeks later?

Perhaps I have no idea what I am talking about, but I imagine sales would be a good field experiment. If I post a fixed price (adjusted for inflation etc.) I could never get a feel for demand for the product. Optimal pricing, at least in theory is almost never static, e.g. no price discrimination etc. And if even if demand for APC raw denim was infinitely inelastic, this kind of price fixing across all vendors is collusion. It is just that no regulator would ever notice or care.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads