• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Obscure High-End Japanese Trends You're Not Cool Enough For Megathread

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Stof ss12

stof-ss2012.jpg

stof-ss2012-3.jpg

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks awkward/comfy.

TWorksheets

Reaction score

N. Hoolywood

Ugh, I want to stop looking at that jamesmcnally site because it's a constant reminder of how much cool **** Japan gets that I don't have the money/time/motivation to get my hands on.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

quick question: does anyone know of e-tailers carrying Kapital?

Kapital has a webshop, but I think you need to proxy.
arknets.co.jp carries some but also requires a proxy.

The Context people told me they would start carrying the brand this spring.

Hickoree's has just put up a very small selection of Kapital stuff, albeit at "import" mark-up prices. I only own a couple Kapital pieces (one of which is a pair of jeans that doesn't fit) but the quality and attention to detail is ridiculous. The coat I have easily trumps comparably priced 'designer' pieces in both material and fabrication. I'd be very excited about the prospect of them expanding into the US market.

Last edited:

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Project No. 8 now has a small selection of Kapital.

They have the same raw jeans that Hickoree's has, but they are $290 IIRC at p8

They also have this shirt, which is beautiful (click for big):

And this scarf, which is gauzy and with knit on UFOs and planets and paisley. Standout piece but they wanted around 800 for it.

They also had this patchwork tote and hat which aren't my thing at all.

SA mentioned that they have some more at the Ace so I might go check that out today.

Last edited:

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Sweeeeet. How much did they want for the shirt? I don't anticipate ever buying Kapital at retail (at least in the USA) but I'm hoping we get more of the product in this hemisphere.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

^ Sweeeeet. How much did they want for the shirt? I don't anticipate ever buying Kapital at retail (at least in the USA) but I'm hoping we get more of the product in this hemisphere.

I can't remember exactly, but I want to say between 400 and 500.

It's a little over $310 USD on their webstore, plus factor proxy fees and shipping if you want to go that route.

Scarf is a little more of an extreme markup at only around $400 on the webstore. But hey they're taking a risk by carrying any of it at all, considering the high price to even buy into it in the first place, combined with the relative obscurity of the label so I can respect their pricing choices.

I know we take this for granted because we're Internet Clothes People but the SA said I was only the second person to come in that had any idea what Kapital was at all. The first was a British guy that was really stoked and he bought one or two things I think.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's definitely under the radar, but it does have a certain recognition among designers/fashion folk who are into vintage stuff. When I worked for Eunice (of Unis), she kept Kapital seasonal look books in the office for inspiration. There's also the 45rpm crowd, and they might be in the know. Hopefully there are enough folks to keep the label in town.

Either way, I'm stoked on it. This will always be a grail for me:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads