• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official new iPhone 4

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

WP7.5 Mango is actually pretty ******* cool.

Yup. While I do think MS is in it for the long haul, the phones are just not selling well right now.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is crazy: http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/28/41-of...-america-plan-to-buy-iphone-5-study-suggests/

According to research recently released by mobile ad network InMobi, 41% of mobile users in North America plan to purchase the iPhone 5. 50% of those planning to purchase the phone will buy it within the first six months after it is launched, which could propel its current 27% smartphone market share to 41%

You also have to wonder how many people said no because they just bought an iPhone 4 and need to wait for the 6 to get the contract discount again.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Holy crap, this is crazy: http://www.giga.de/benm/2011/09/29/iphone-5-this-is-our-design-prototype/

These guys got ahold of one of the cases that some are claiming to be for the iPhone 5 and made a physical mock up of the phone based on it and other rumors. Looks really cool, but I question if it would be easier to hold then the iPhone 4 which I find far "stickier" in my grip then the 3 was...

They think it will have a 4 inch screen. This goes against the math I read a while ago on how large you can make the screen at a resolution of 960 x 540 and have it remain a "retina display." So either the math was wrong or these guys are. No way Apple goes under the pixel density they set the bar at with the iPhone 4.

If the rumor is true on them loosing the physical home button and replacing it with a touch screen virtual button, I would be all for that. On both my old iPhone 3 and my iPhone 4 the home botton wore out over time and stopped working as well. In fact I need to take my 4 into the Apple store and see what they can do. Right now, the button barely functions.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn I want my Nokia N8 back. It's camera was mind blowingly good. Iphone 5 with 8 megapixels means nothing to me since I only save at 3mpx. What's nokia thinking about not getting the phone with a US cell phone provider?? Bizzare

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LOL is it? IMO WP7 is DOA.

Maybe, WP7 has apparently been with us for a year now, but I've yet to actually see a phone using this. Could change though with Nokia ditching Symbian and going WP7, Nokia is huge in China, but then so is Android. Even most of the knock-off iPhones are Android now. Real iPhones are very much a high cost luxury item here.

Although I do think the iPhone 4 is probably the best phone fit 'n' finish wise, I couldn't really use one because of the iTunes requirements. I like to be able to freely drag 'n' drop tunes, pics and movies on and off my phone on whatever computer I'm using, also due to the non-standard sized SIM it uses. China Unicom supplies special sized SIMs, contract only, for their iPhones. China Unicom is the only carrier for iPhones in mainland China, and from experience it's terrible carrier. Not compatible with China Mobile's 3G, GSM only, and is not compatible at all with China Telecom.

Last edited:

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Maybe, WP7 has apparently been with us for a year now, but I've yet to actually see a phone using this. Could change though with Nokia ditching Symbian and going WP7, Nokia is huge in China, but then so is Android. Even most of the knock-off iPhones are Android now. Real iPhones are very much a high cost luxury item here.
Although I do think the iPhone 4 is probably the best phone fit 'n' finish wise, I couldn't really use one because of the iTunes requirements. I like to be able to freely drag 'n' drop tunes, pics and movies on and off my phone on whatever computer I'm using, also due to the non-standard sized SIM it uses. China Unicom supplies special sized SIMs, contract only, for their iPhones. China Unicom is the only carrier for iPhones in mainland China, and from experience it's terrible carrier. Not compatible with China Mobile's 3G, GSM only, and is not compatible at all with China Telecom.

+1, having to use iTunes was a *huge* hurdle for me, and is what has kept me from owning any Apple product ever up until now. It's still frustrating to use.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1, having to use iTunes was a *huge* hurdle for me, and is what has kept me from owning any Apple product ever up until now. It's still frustrating to use.

i will say itunes has its shortcomings, but for the people that completely swear off the product because of it is pretty crazy.

they are already moving towards weening off the dependency of itunes, which is great. the last beta releases were OTA.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i will say itunes has its shortcomings, but for the people that completely swear off the product because of it is pretty crazy.
they are already moving towards weening off the dependency of itunes, which is great. the last beta releases were OTA.

I don't mind iTunes. My only problem with it is that the program has become so bloated it's a resource hog.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I'll say the current version is MUCH better than the version I had the displeasure of installing years ago. Still rather irritating that the photo sync hangs and crashes every time, and you have to damn near hack it to get custom ringtones on there.

At least managing my music is easy though, once you untick the automatic management or whatever. My gripes about iTunes aside though, iPhone is still a damn fine phone and I don't regret it at all.

I may enjoy dicking around with Linux and Windows on a PC, but the idea of having to fiddle and tinker to get my phone to work right or the way I want it was off-putting. In this case, I really did want something that just worked out of the box. It seems all my Android friends and co-workers deal with constant crashes and performance issues, even with the superior specs.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I loathe the iTunes interface, and I hate the Apple DRM ****. It's total crap. I resisted iPods for the longest time.

Then came the iPhone, and I buckled, but I still swear at iTunes on a near-daily basis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads