Official new iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by sonick, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

That would address some sales but I am also referring to the ground they lost in innovation. The specs do not blow you away as much as they did 18 months ago or so. The screen is still fantastic but Droid phones have caught up in about every other area.

The next iPhone will NOT be on T-mobile by the way:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/09/26/tech/mobile/t-mobile-iphone/

2. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

i wouldn't say apple lost ground. the last quarterly meeting, apple reported the iPhone had something like 225,000 activations a day. Android had 500,000. 1 product versus a dozen maybe? 15? don't know how many android phones there are.

the last report also had the total number of iOS device sales at 33,000,000 for Q3 in 2011. sick.

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Specs are not everything and honestly most consumers don't care. They will see a sexy new iPhone that's thinner and possibly has a larger screen. Toss in it's "faster" with a "better" camera and you got gravy. Thing will sell like hotcakes.

I also suspect that it's going to eat the lunch of it's competition. People like to point out that the Droid line continued to sell well after the iPhone 4 hit Verizon, but that phone was old news by then. The iPhone 5 will be the first time Apple launched a new phone product across multiple carriers at the same time. Given a choice, the average joe is going to go for the iPhone. Justified or not.

4. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Where is Tokyo Slim when you need him?

5. Jr Mouse

Look, a fair amount of consumers who bought Android phones on the other carriers did so because they wanted a "cool phone" like the iPhone. Now that the new iPhone is launching and these people have a choice, a lot will go for the iPhone they originally wanted but couldn't have. I'm not saying this as a fan-boy or anything, just a fact. People will want the Apple product if given the choice. Just as the iPhone dominates on ATT and the iPad is dominating tablet sales.

It's also important to remember that as slow as they have been to implement features, they have done an admirable job of eroding away the advantages that the competition has with their operating systems. iOS 5's notification system, while not innovative, fills what was the last big whole they were missing. Most of the other things are fairly minor and are not something that can be used to sell a consumer on a competing product.

6. dah328

dah328 Senior member

You can't say "People will want the Apple product if given the choice" and then say you're not a fan-boy.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

7. Jr Mouse

*sigh*

I'm going to do something unrealistic and ask you to look over my post history in these types of threads. I have been very critical of Apple in the past and have expressed my growing concern of Apple owning the tablet market if the iPad's sales trends continue. For a product category that's being billed as "post PC" the last thing I want to see is a single company monopolize it. If stating my honest opinion on how I see the smart phone market playing out leads you to think I'm a "fan-boy," then I don't know what else to tell you.

8. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

I think he's somewhat right. That, "best smartphone I can get on my carrier" pervaded any of my friends thoughts. The larger danger for apple is that droid does represent Windows all over again. Apple with 1 product, against 1 software software company connected to lots and lots of other manufacturers. If you extrapolate the above numbers, at some point, Apple does lose out on the network effect and top coders develop for droid/honeycomb first and then port to Apple.

Lots of rounds to go in this fight, and I really don't have a pick here.

9. Jr Mouse

Overall I think the Window's analogy is a good one, but I see this playing out differently. Apple is a completely different company in the consumer's mind then it was back in the early days of the PC. People see them as sexy and cool right now. The iPhone played off the momentum of the iPod, just as the iPad is playing off the momentum of the iPhone. Even if it's just a single hardware unit with a unified OS, it's clearly one the consumer has shown they want. From a distribution standpoint, Google's Android platform will have little advantage going forward. Once the iPhone is on Sprint, they will be on all but one of the major carriers. You can buy the products at many other outlets too, from Best Buy to Radio Shack. It's not like when Window's hit and they were able to get the product everywhere the competition couldn't. You can have 100 different Android models for sale, but if they are all being sold next to the iPhone at the same store does that quantity even matter at the end of the day?

You are right that the fight is long from over. Android's not going anywhere and Google's also in the game for the long haul.

The real question is will this end up being a two way fight between Google and Apple? WIndows Phone 7 certainly has not been selling as well as Microsoft would like (sad as it is, since it's a unique product in a market of "me too's"). It seems Blackberry is screwed at this point as far as I am concerned and if I owned stock would be selling it fast.

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Statements such as the above and your previous factually-incorrect statements about iPhones outselling Android lead me to discount your analyses. The iPhone's strong suit is its design and platform stability, a product of Steve Job's obsessiveness and the advantage of having to test only one hardware/software combination. Its weakness is its relatively closed and tightly-controlled environment. From the fact that it uses proprietary connectors, used to require iTunes, comes down hard on jailbreakers, and monopolizes the app market, it's clear that the iOS environment is for those who are content to live under Steve Job's mostly benevolent autocracy. The Android analogs of all of those elements are far more as especially illustrated by the not-so-uncommon cases of manufacturers freely releasing kernel source code for their devices and providing tools to unlock bootloaders for customers who wish to load custom ROMs. Android's disadvantages are exactly the opposite of the iPhones -- the plethora of devices and software versions means that there are some inferior ones and some combinations that really do not work well together, but the customer is largely free to choose the combination he wishes to use. At the end of the day, contra what you said, quantity does matter even if it really is 100 different Android models that are outselling the iPhone. The iPhone will become just like the Mac, a significant individual seller but an also-ran in the wider PC market where functioning in a wide variety of environments and use cases is more important than excelling in a couple different areas. There are lots of people who decide against Apple for that very reason.

11. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

what the fuck is going on in here.

12. Jr Mouse

:rolleyes: The iPhone 4 is the best selling smartphone on the carriers it is available on. http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/06/apple...-smartphone-at-att-verizon-as-iphone-5-looms/

What makes you think this will change when the iPhone 5 hits?

Average Joe does not care.

Average Joe does not care.

Average Joe has no idea what the **** you are talking about here.

Finally something the average Joe might care about.

Up to this point the iPhone has been on a limited amount of carriers. As my link shows above, the phone is the best selling smartphone on the carriers it is available on. What does this demonstrate? When offered the choice, people are picking the Apple product. Once Sprint is carrying the iPhone, Google will only have T-Mobile to not have to compete with Apple. When/if T-Mobile starts to carry it too, that advantage will be gone and they will be on even playing fields.

My belief is that the sales trends will continue as they have been. On carriers that it is available on, the iPhone will be the best selling smartphone.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

13. Jr Mouse

SF has morphed into an Engadget comment thread. :uhoh:

14. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    meep meep

15. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

dear dah,