• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, Pio, if you want to upgrade your epi at any point, I suggest you rewire it 50's style with 500k pots, and paper in oil capactiors. It is a relatively cheap upgrade that actually makes yours controls more useable. Also, getting better pickups is a no brainer.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
pB, what amp do you use?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nothing at the moment, I sold my Fender Twin recently but I am currently toying with the idea of getting a Fargen.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You have to be careful with these features. Depending on how it is done it could be very ******. For example, if you are limiting output with resistance using capacitors you will be able to get distortion at lower volumes, however you are compromising a lot of frequencies in order to do this and albeit distorted and low volume, it will sound like ****.

Well, I'm sure it sounds better than my old and tiny fender (probably a frontman?). I live in an apartment where you can hear the neighbor's dogs bark...so there's a limit to the volume.

Right now I've just been playing Rocksmith, but if I start playing more frequently again, something like this might be just the ticket. Probably need to get my guitar worked on a bit...I was playing with a demo telecaster at this lollapalooza pop-up shop and it felt soooo much better.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I used to have a JCM2000 DSL 401. Sold it on ebay. Too ******* loud in an apartment, even with two tubes pulled.

this is the reason why i do not have one currently. Great, great amp though. The apartment thing is the reason why i'm looking at these 1 watters. It's amazing how loud even the little guys are, you need very little power to get some very heavy volume. These 100+ watt amps are a little crazy IMO (nevermind that one of my favorite guitarists uses a 200 watt head)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well, I'm sure it sounds better than my old and tiny fender (probably a frontman?). I live in an apartment where you can hear the neighbor's dogs bark...so there's a limit to the volume.

Right now I've just been playing Rocksmith, but if I start playing more frequently again, something like this might be just the ticket. Probably need to get my guitar worked on a bit...I was playing with a demo telecaster at this lollapalooza pop-up shop and it felt soooo much better.

They sound ****** enough, trust me.

this is the reason why i do not have one currently. Great, great amp though. The apartment thing is the reason why i'm looking at these 1 watters. It's amazing how loud even the little guys are, you need very little power to get some very heavy volume. These 100+ watt amps are a little crazy IMO (nevermind that one of my favorite guitarists uses a 200 watt head)

I don't understand the abundance of 100 watt amps out there. It is ridiculous plus after about 30 watts the only thing you are changing is headroom as watts are not perfectly correlated to decibels . The only reason they exist is so you can hear it over a drummer.

power-db.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Also, Pio, if you want to upgrade your epi at any point, I suggest you rewire it 50's style with 500k pots, and paper in oil capactiors. It is a relatively cheap upgrade that actually makes yours controls more useable. Also, getting better pickups is a no brainer.

I'm not going to plan any more $$ until I see how I feel six months from now. Those Gibson pickups are not up to snuff?

You guys can tell me but apparently these solid mahogany Epi's are not a badly built guitar. Not heirloom quality, of course, but completely serviceable for a neophyte.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i have an old ass Boss turbo distortion that i plugged in last night, first time in like 2 weeks i've used it.

aaaaaand it's whacked. Now I have the WH-10 that's gone and the DS-2. I can't win.

once the WH10 is fixed (it's the vintage one from the 80's, and those F***ers are expensive now), I may buy a current one and slip the electronics into the current model case (the vintage one is plastic, which always breaks, and the new one is metal).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm not going to plan any more $$ until I see how I feel six months from now. Those Gibson pickups are not up to snuff?

You guys can tell me but apparently these solid mahogany Epi's are not a badly built guitar. Not heirloom quality, of course, but completely serviceable for a neophyte.

Well, first of all they are not solid mahogany, the only solid les pauls are custom shops and I think gibson 2013 standards. They are good guitars, but the electronics are horrible. The hardware is poor also, but that can be said for even gibson standard line. It is all relative really.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The level knob on my DS-2 broke off a few years ago...I can still turn it with friction if I press on it with my thumb and rotate, but its annoying.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Well, first of all they are not solid mahogany, the only solid les pauls are custom shops and I think gibson 2013 standards. They are good guitars, but the electronics are horrible. The hardware is poor also, but that can be said for even gibson standard line. It is all relative really.

Agreed, all relative, and for what I paid I'm not expecting anything more than something serviceable. However, Epi claims my model is solid mahogany with a flame maple cap. This is not true?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
a few years ago, i bought a Fender custom shop '61 relic stratocaster (the neck date is actually within a day of my beloved telecaster), and while i loved the neck, i didn't like the way the body felt so i never really played it. The paint felt dense and plasticky, and yes, i'm picky over seemingly stupid details.

anyways, i had a guy refinish the body in nitrocellulose 3-tone sunburst, and he knocked it out of the park. It feels so much better, and it looks better too. the finish is super thin as well, it already has like 5 random scratches and dents.

i've probably killed the value of the damn thing. don't care.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Agreed, all relative, and for what I paid I'm not expecting anything more than something serviceable. However, Epi claims my model is solid mahogany with a flame maple cap. This is not true?

Just checked, you're right. The only weight relieved ones were previous gibsons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads