• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dopeitsjosh

Reaction score
I want to learn how to play the guitar.

Can someone give me some advice on a nice beginner guitar/amp to buy and if there is any good books/sites to teach myself?

Sabrosa

Reaction score
Bruce Emery's Guitar from Scratch and Skeptical Guitarist (theory) series are a good place to start as far as books go.

For online video lessons I'd recommend checking out Justin Guitar.

Once you have an idea of the basics it can definitely help to find a local teacher to guide you. A lot of progress "simply" comes from learning to play songs you like that are just slightly above your current abilities. A teacher can help with this as well as keeping an eye on your technique.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Start on an acoustic. It'll make switching to the electric that much easier.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
picked up a mess of new gear recently... my grandfather passed away and i inherited his toys. He taught me to play when i was still too little to hold a guitar....we were very close so the sentimental value in these are priceless. Got a couple american telecasters, one sunburst, one blue. A blonde epiphone broadway that he bought after i bought my bloonde sheraton. He liked the way the sheraton looked so he tried to find one just like it but could only find the broadway. A fender twin reverb, and late 60s black falcon (i had this before, but gave it back to him).
heres a couple pics of the teles...fairly certain ive posted the black falcon before.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ Nice! Are you going to play them, or keep them around for sentimental reasons?

Last edited:

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MOAR PICS PLZ

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

^ Nice! Are you going to play them, or keep them around for sentimental reasons?

gonna play the hell out of em. i know its cliche, but it makes me feel close to him when im picking on the telecaster...thats the guitar i learned on when i was a toddler.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd like your opinion on something. How much would a 1999 Les Paul Custom go for? I recently inquired about a trade for one with this guy. I offered him a 2001 Standard with a flametop with upgraded bridge, tailpiece (along with originals) and boutique wound pickups. He laughed at me and said I would have to give him $1,600 along with my guitar. I see used standard bursts and customs going for about the same price on the used market. The deal didn't seem bad to me. Is a used custom really worth $1,600 more than a used and upgraded standard flametop? I think he is dreaming.

No I picked up a 96 les Paul custom for 2100 and thought that was a decent price. Standards don't hold their value as well as customs in my research and studios go down the ******* when u buy them

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No I picked up a 96 les Paul custom for 2100 and thought that was a decent price. Standards don't hold their value as well as customs in my research and studios go down the ******* when u buy them

Are you saying a standard is worth only $500?

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an original Pi Big Muff pedal laying about. I don't know anything about its working condition - it worked a few years ago - and I haven't used it since. I have no idea what its worth, but its just collecting dust right now so one of you could probably get some use out of it. Does anyone want it? I think I posted this in this thread a year ago or so, but I cleaned my PM box and I forget who wanted it. I don't know what a fair price would be, so feel free to offer.

dopeitsjosh

Reaction score
Start on an acoustic. It'll make switching to the electric that much easier.
Yea my girlfriend has an acoustic which I plan on using to learn on

Bruce Emery's Guitar from Scratch and Skeptical Guitarist (theory) series are a good place to start as far as books go.
For online video lessons I'd recommend checking out Justin Guitar.
Once you have an idea of the basics it can definitely help to find a local teacher to guide you. A lot of progress "simply" comes from learning to play songs you like that are just slightly above your current abilities. A teacher can help with this as well as keeping an eye on your technique.

Thanks a lot!

bamahabir

Reaction score
I started with a cheapo knock off strat from fender of all things, and got a used amp on the ebay. I wouldn't recommend that route, go to a nearby guitar store and test out all the stuff and see what you like.

Justin Guitar is AWESOME!!!!

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

I have an original Pi Big Muff pedal laying about. I don't know anything about its working condition - it worked a few years ago - and I haven't used it since. I have no idea what its worth, but its just collecting dust right now so one of you could probably get some use out of it. Does anyone want it? I think I posted this in this thread a year ago or so, but I cleaned my PM box and I forget who wanted it. I don't know what a fair price would be, so feel free to offer.

this has me VERY tempted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads