1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

No, never owned one. At the height of my collecting days nobody would buy a Les Paul with an Alnico in it.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

lol i got boozed up at brunch, saw your post, lulzed heartily, and passed out.

To explain -- at the pinnacle of his career, my dad was the chief executive hotshot, just like you, who made all the big decisions at work. But when it came to home matters, my mom was and is always in the driver's seat with the power to veto anything my dad wants, suggest, or decides upon. And veto many a decision she did/does! She's wise beyond her years and she knows it, my dad knows it, we all know it. So he always defers to her peacefully and gracefully because, well, business decision-making logic doesn't always apply at the home. It also did wonders for tempering his big ego, if I must say.

But yeah, just found it endearing as it reminded me of my parents. Anyway, carry on with your conversation, gents. Sorry to interrupt.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  4. patrickBOOTH

^He must have done something really fucked up if that was the pinnacle and you didn't get hired at the company by him.

Also, brunch is for tools.

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Nah, he retired before I graduated from college and all he does is play golf. Besides, I never wanted to work in his industry, nor would I ever. And finally, I'd never want to work in Korea -- fuck that.

Brunch in and of itself is not for tools. Brunch every single weekend is for tools.

6. patrickBOOTH

I used to have brunch, and then my dad got a job.

7. patrickBOOTH

Oh yeah, Halal trucks aren't considered brunch, tool.

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

9. pistolero

pistolero Senior member

Oh man, I've been lusting after an alnico LP since discovering this vid: Edit: I'm pretty sure this is either an early 70s reissue of the LP custom or a goldtop with a replacement alnico in the neck. Either way, this guitar sounds incredible (it's panned left in the recording).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  10. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

Patrick - I hate myself for passing on a repaired headstock '56 LPC with an asking price of $12k... one of my biggest guitar related regrets (they all seem to center around missing well-priced vintage LPs).

And pistolero, speaking of great looking old guitars that we've seen in music videos -

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Love the Rick Capris, and in black... damn. I know that an old LP is the only guitar I should buy from now on, but if I saw a black refinned Capri, I'm not sure I could say no (thankfully I'll never ever see one).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  11. pistolero

pistolero Senior member

^^ Yeah, that Rick is super cool. Sounds great too - I usually prefer hi-gains to toasters, but this one has that Rick "bite" that I love.

12. patrickBOOTH

What's the issue with the alnico p-90's? Why do people hate them?

13. flirtkakat

flirtkakat Senior member

I never understand the level of immersion that some people engage in when it comes to certain things, guitar hardware is one of them. I love playing guitar more than most things, it's a magnificent refuge from what can sometimes be a rather dull world. Learning what the difference between an Alnico p-90 and a junior humbucker is would seem to me to be overkill in general though. The difference between a humbucker and a single coil is all I keep track of, along with the striking beauty of an es335 or the gritty feeling of a stratocaster. Attacking the strings SRV style or twiddling out beautiful things like Hendrix would've. Outside of that I rely solely on what I hear when sitting down and playing, damned be the hardware.

I respect your knowledge though, and am glad to see some guitarplayers who enjoy dressing well. Rather the contrast to what I usually see people wielding guitars wear.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

welcome to StyleForum

15. flirtkakat

flirtkakat Senior member

16. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

tone rules all. doesnt matter how well you can play scales if you have a shitty tone. Learning how to get the tone you want is essential in being/becoming a truly good guitar player.

17. flirtkakat

flirtkakat Senior member

I know that tone rules all my friend, I've been influenced by tone since before I started playing but I rely on what I hear in the guitar rather than what I know of its parts as I said. I do respect the knowledge you guys have and the fact that it may well have you coming out ahead of me. At the very least you might get there quicker as I'll have to sit down and look for what I want whereas you can just pick, knowing fully what you'll get. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  18. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

Erm..... riiiighhtt.....

19. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

:lol:

20. flirtkakat

flirtkakat Senior member

Enlighten me as to what makes me ridiculous.