• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ac_slater

Reaction score

Went to the local GC and played an American standard three colour sunburst Strat. I think I want.

Thoughts on HSS setup?

I've played a lot of different guitars and pickup configs. So I feel like I can comment.

Personally I like HSS on a strat or super strat style guitar. But let me emphasize that a lot of people make the mistake of thinking the H position is gonna sound like a Les Paul or similar. You have to keep in mind that you're still playing on a Fender scale, body woods, bridge, and shape. It's not gonna sound close to a Les Paul or whatever Gibson sound you might have in your head. As a matter of fact, A Gretsch Duo Jet with powertrons probably sounds closer to a Les Paul than any Fender with a humbucker.

With that said, if you like how a humbucker in the bridge position of a strat, it's a great setup. Supremely versatile. I've never been a fan of neck humbuckers unless they're very low output.

waiting out for a good MIJ example is worth it. use guitar center to lessen the "risk" and to verify production dates. my MIJ tele is a ******* stud next to my Custom Shop tele.

A Japanese guitar from the right factory can go toe to toe with any US made guitar. Look no further than the Ibanez J Custom line or high end Gretsch stuff. Puts half the USA guitars I've played to SHAME.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Why no quiet pup? You like it, the noise?

As long as you aren't playing madison square garden in a black metal band I don't see why noise should be an issue.

Things people forget about humbuckers is that they don't just simply cancel noise, they always cancel out a lot of frequencies along with the noise. The reason single coils sound the way they do is because of the presence of these frequencies. This is also the reason why the late fifties Les Pauls sounded so damn good. They didn't have a lot of quality control with the windings. What these guitars were left with are two coils that are not perfectly wound the same amount of times and patterns. This means these frequencies slip through, but still reduce overall noise. This is why the boutique winders today take this to extremes where you are able to get some P-90 sounding tones from pickups with lower noise, which is essentially what the old Les Pauls sound like.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i think an HSS for Piob would be whack mostly because of his Les Paul. sure, it won't sound exactly the same, but that bridge single is a huge part of what makes a classic strat a strat.

so that is my lesson. three singles and a nitro finish.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
**** you, Booth. How about that?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Completely fair and reasonable statement.

I would thrift second hand stuff if I lived in a market like yours...but I don't...so how about **** you? ;)

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i've sourced stuff from all over the country. the last WH10 i bought was from an orange country craigslist. my DSL was way out on long island and i convinced the guy to drive an hour to meet me at Shea Stadium

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Your knowledge of guitar and equipment far exceeds mine not to mention I trust humanity much less than you do.

Btw, pB, just kidding. Sort of.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love buying used gear from people on craigslist because it allows me to spend time with another human being now that my boo is away. :cloud:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
My local CL is horrible. Only time I was ready to bite was a 2.5 hour drive and it was gone...although I did walk away with an awesome story.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

My local CL is horrible. Only time I was ready to bite was a 2.5 hour drive and it was gone...although I did walk away with an awesome story.

the DSL50 on there was a total steal. guy obviously just wanted to unload it. this is why it's worth it to prowl and to filter out the asshats that want $75 for their $80new pedal.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

if you were ever next to pB and I as we demolish martinis, it'd be clear that we hate humanity

I've been known to hurt a martini or five...working on October still but it can't be a sausage fest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads