1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Assuming it was a special order, you could have reviewed the neck profile with your assigned luthier, no? Part of the benefit of the Masterbuild process is that you can try out the finished guitar just like you would a bespoke suit. They communicate with you during the making and can tweak to get it right afterward.

2. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

How can you tweak a flat neck radius?

3. mafoofan

They can swap in a new neck.

4. origenesprit

Is that really part of the masterbuilder process? A new neck is a pretty major thing.

5. mafoofan

If you asked for a certain shaped neck and you get something else, they are obliged to make it right. I've read lots of accounts of customers who have had their Masterbuilt orders tweaked, including one guy who did have his neck re-shaped.

6. origenesprit

I suppose they could replane the fingerboard, or put a new fingerboard on.

There are so many amazing CS Strats out there in every shop that I can't imagine waiting for a Masterbuilt one. I just don't see the point. They cost a fortune and you don't know what you're getting. Just go around and play a million of them, because there are a million of them out there.

IMO.

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i'd agree with this

8. mafoofan

You miss out on the fun of getting something specially made.

9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

meh. indifferent.

and the $6K+ mark is creeping close to an actual vintage instrument.

2 people like this.
  10. origenesprit

My 1958 Strat was less than that.

1 person likes this.
  11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I think Foo is pursuing the proper method for Foo to obtain a guitar he'll be happy with although I will admit my positive experience on the Tele has made me open to other similar type purchases. Even UPS turned out to deliver right on time although they lost track of my package for a few days.

12. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

there's a bunch of advantages to buying used.

access to discontinued models, some of which may be superior to new anyways. somebody else takes the depreciation hit and you can later sell/flip the guitar/amp for roughly the same prices that you acquired it at. somebody else deals with that first ding. i mean, on and on i can go, the case to only buy brand new isn't very compelling.

wanting a display-case guitar is not an advantage that comes with used.

13. mafoofan

Don't want a "display-case" guitar. I just want to be the one who puts the dings in it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  14. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

@Piobaire feeling you on the GAS issue. Last night, as I was sleeping apparently, I determined that I need a John Mayer signature strat.

1 person likes this.
  15. otc

otc Senior member

FWIW, the skis in that photo are the perfect blend of new and used.

They had been drilled for bindings, but never actually skied...So they are brand new except for an extra set of holes drilled in them (usually not considered an issue until there have been 3 sets). Somebody else took the depreciation hit, the tails have a tiny bit of wear form the shop floor/shipping, but they still have all of their life left and I got them for 60% off.

I'm still bothered by the first chip I put in my (bought new) strat...and I probably made that chip in high school.

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i think i'm pretty settled on the GAS front. Aside from an actual vintage Strat. And an old 335 or d'Angelo (actually, both). And an old 175. And a 50's mahogany Martin acoustic. Just those for now. A MIJ shell pink strat would be cool too (the one that got away).

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

it's weird, a self-caused ding on my Les Paul or 335 would probably leave me all :crazy:

strat or tele come crashing off the couch? don't care.

18. mafoofan

A dinged up LP can be a beautiful thing.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i see these beautiful LP's in the same light as I see PRS guitars - too precious to rock.

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

The urge to be the first (and only) owner of things is strong in me too. I know things I use are going to get dings and such and I'm okay with that. Gomey talked me into at least thinking about buying used, and I got a pretty screaming deal on this Tele, so I will probably venture into the secondary market again at some point. I need a big enough delta to make it worthwhile though.