• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm going to end up with a dozen so not something I'm going to sweat.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i use the volume knob all the time to adjust for tone with the amp. not sure if this will make sense to some, but would a volume pedal have an impact only on overall loudness or do will it also impact tone?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pio, since you are new to effects and stomp boxes, consider buying used ones.

The only problem with used volume pedals is that the pots tend to get more dust in them from being tossed around. But, if you know how to clean a pot, it is an easy fix. Then if you like using a volume pedal then invest in in a really good one.

Good ones have a nice steady gain of volume and are supper quiet.

I would say at least half the volume pedals go unused after a month. So just see if it really fits your style of playing before going top drawer.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depending on how your guitar is wired turning down the volume will also reduce higher frequencies making it sound muddy. Adding something to your signal chain like a volume pedal will also do this even when it is all of the way up. I find pedals cumbersome in general, and much rather have the play at my hands.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Pio, since you are new to effects and stomp boxes, consider buying used ones.

This is no doubt excellent advice. Advice I will no doubt ignore and then admit the wisdom of at a future date. :laugh:

I probably will not buy any pedals until next year. I've been steady on putting in about an hour of practice a day, and plan to continue improving my playing, but this is where I'm headed: https://www.ableton.com/en/push/ Click that first link, "See Push In Action." It's amazing and can be had with Ableton Live 9 for about $850. Here is exactly the music I want to make and then layer my guitar playing on top:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Would be happy doing this will never make a youtube!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

This is a good look at how this thing works. Ignore his musical tastes.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Music making at home as changed so, so much since I was in a garage band in the late 80s.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would say at least half the volume pedals go unused after a month. So just see if it really fits your style of playing before going top drawer.

Yeah, I barely ever use mine. But every now and then I want to play along to Brothers in Arms.

I have a Dunlop DVP-1 and it is built well but I don't particularly like the sweep.

Ableton is a very cool tool, and lots of fun, but I think you end up being a technician more than a musician with that stuff. It takes a lot of skill to be able to make unique music that way.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Second lesson a couple days ago. He had me purchase Blues You Can Use and we started on the first lesson. Working on the first lesson, chord changes are not that hard to pick up, but the theory is interesting. I never really worked on guitar theory so many years ago but realized the scales up and down the fretboard. Think I need to drop into fundamentals and put learning songs into secondary position for quite some time.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've got that TC Electronics polyphonic tuner pedal on the way from Epiphone but for $9 bucks I'm grabbing that tuner. My instructor used one last lesson and I'm convinced it's worth having.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads