• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official 2012 College Football Season Thread

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Needs to be a rule that if you're not ranked, you don't get to go to a BCS bowl regardless of whether you win your conference or not. The idea of Georgia Tech going to a BCS bowl is just beyond heinous (I know it won't happen because FSU should murder them), but it's certainly possible.

shadesofbeige

Reaction score
Keeping with the OSU-LSU out of conference scheduling comparison, LSU tends to schedule a fairly good to very good OoC opponent near the beginning of almost every season. Here's their early OoC opponents over the last ten years:

2002: Wk 1 @ Virginia Tech (10-4)
2003: Wk 2 @ Arizona (2-10) - This is the exception I promise
2004: Wk 1 Oregon St. (7-5)
2005: Wk 1 @ Arizona St. (7-5)
2006: Wk 2 Arizona (7-6)
2007: Wk 2 Virginia Tech (11-3)
2008: Wk 1 Appalachian St. (11-3) - Hey they beat Michigan
2009: Wk 1 @ Washington (5-7)
2010: Wk 1 (Georgia Dome) UNC (8-5)
2011: Wk 1 (Cowboys Stadium) Oregon (12-2)
2012: Wk 2 @ Washington (7-5)

2 out of these 11 teams finished the season with a losing record. Their combined records are 87-55. 5 of these were away games, while 4 were played at home and 2 at a "neutral" site. Sorry if I'm flogging a dead horse, but I really don't see how the "SEC schedules ****** out of of conference games" argument holds any water whatsoever.

Last edited:

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Lol are you kidding me. A FCS school considered a "good to very good" opponent? Throw in some middling Pac12 programs (Arizona, Arizona State, Washington,Oregon State), and you've got THREE good out of conference opponents in 11 years.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why would SEC teams schedule games against top flight OOC teams? Almost nobody else does anyway, and the SEC has enough of an edge in prestige that the top SEC teams don't need to worry about their SoS considerations.

You get your OOC tests in the bowls. The SEC wins those more often than not. Risking the huge money bowls for a regular season OOC challenge isn't worth it just for the sake of it, and you can bet they're not about to start now.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ugh, I hate the SEC.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The SEC don't care.

Last edited:

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Al Davis' posthumously of course (for the punch in the face. Jerry Jones for honorable mention).

Last edited:

upthewazzu

Reaction score
The issue I have with the SEC is their 8-game conference schedule. This allows for stuff like 'Bama and Jawja not playing each other since 2008, and it allows them to schedule Chicken Tech State while all the other conferences are beating up on each other in week 9 or 10. I give them credit for respecting the business model, though.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The issue I have with the SEC is their 8-game conference schedule. This allows for stuff like 'Bama and Jawja not playing each other since 2008, and it allows them to schedule Chicken Tech State while all the other conferences are beating up on each other in week 9 or 10. I give them credit for respecting the business model, though.

This year was a bit of an odd case because of the last minute schedule shuffling to accommodate the addition of Missouri and Texas A&M. They do deliberately leave that Week 9 slot open for cupcakes, but there have been a decent number of Week 1-3 OOC conferences games the last few years to offset that.

Eight doesn't seem crazy though. Big 12 does 9 (and they don't have divisions right now), ACC does eight, Big 10 does eight. Pac12 is doing ten so that's the big outlier. Big East only has eight teams at the moment.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pac-12 teams play 9 conference games. It was cool when it used to be a round robin (pac-10 days) but now we miss 2 teams a year. For instance, UW missed ASU and UCLA the past two years, but played Colorado and Utah.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah - same with the B1G - basically when you introduce the conference champs game, you figure any two teams that didn't play each other on the schedule will meet in the champs game if needed. I don't have a problem with that.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We had a crazy outcome this year in the pac-12 where last week Stanford played at UCLA(who had already clinched the south division), and Stanford had to win to clinch the north division over Oregon. So, this week UCLA plays Stanford at Stanford for the pac-12 title :/

Also, UCLA was put in the kind of weird position where if they lost last week they got another shot at Stanford this week, but if they won they would have to face Oregon.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

We had a crazy outcome this year in the pac-12 where last week Stanford played at UCLA(who had already clinched the south division), and Stanford had to win to clinch the north division over Oregon. So, this week UCLA plays Stanford at Stanford for the pac-12 title :/

Also, UCLA was put in the kind of weird position where if they lost last week they got another shot at Stanford this week, but if they won they would have to face Oregon.

Yeah, the broadcasting station just LOVES this scenario.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ true and weird but either way... GO BRUINS!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads