• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official 2014 College Football Season Thread

Which Team Will Win the First Post-BCS, Non-Mythical FBS National Title?

• Free Shoes U

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Bammers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chokelahoma

• Wear Nike, Orweregonna Stop Giving You Money

• The Barners

• Nohio State

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Not USC, the Other LA College

• Every Wolverine's Backup School

• Cocks

• Does Anyone Care Enough About Baylor to Mock Them?

• 'Furd

• Greatest Team Ever in the History of College Football (aka The Only Team that Matters)

• LS Who?

• Wisky (not the good kind)

• USC West

• Clem's Son

• Manti Te'o's Girlfriend's Favorite Team

• All Slut U

• Ole (Seriously, Y'all Are Still Sort of Racist) Miss

• Johnny Manziel's Old Team

• A Kansas Team, but Not the Basketball One

• No, Seriously, What's a Cornhusker?

• Token Basketball School from NC

• Orange UT, But Not the SEC One

• UDub Fake Dawgs

• Other (AKA I'm a Delusional Fan of a Team No One Else Thinks is Any Good)

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Stopping them from scoring (or needing to score because you can't run the clock out) is one thing but running in a TD with 20 seconds left when you're up by 2 scores, have gotten the first down, and they obviously CAN'T stop you is a bit like shoving a marsupial on the playground just because you can. It was a dick move.

+1

Meyer is a petulant penis, and that has been apparent for quite a while. The first signs I recall were when he got bent out of shape and whined about UGA celebrating in the end zone in 2007, but it became glaringly obvious when, as part of his payback during the 2008 game, he called two timeouts while leading by 39 points with less than a minute left in the game.

Sportsmanship is as much about being a gracious winner as it is about not being a sore loser. Meyer is incredibly adept at failing at both of those things, and it's made even grosser by the fact that the people who bear the brunt of his need to humiliate his opponents are college kids.

Urban Meyer is a lot of things, but "classy sportsman" ain't one of 'em.

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what if the Ducks decide to pull that **** Kansas St. tried against UCLA at the end of the game with the outcome reasonably decided? Seems a play like that is more susceptible to injury and ****-up-ery. Nobody got all up in arms about Snyder being a douche and Mora basically telling him to **** off with the curt handshake. So Meyer should call it a day in the national championship when Zeke is ramming it down their throats and knows that there will still be SEC homers and Wankston sycophants talking **** and complaining even after the Bucks just destroyed three of the top-ranked teams in football? Oh let's not score a touchdown because all the special flowers' feelings might get hurt. Plenty of coaches (NCAA and NFL) are dicks and engage in brinksmanship and mind games… that you call out Meyer as some hypocrite or high offender is inane.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not about hurting feelings in this case. It's about being a ******* asshole.

Are you familiar with Meyer pre-OSU? Are you familiar with the criminal-ridden Florida program he ran away from because it got too crazy for him to control?

It's this kind of **** that's gonna end up poisoning OSU locker room, too.

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That's a good point and from what I remember he specifically addressed that in the news conference (referring to his convo with Cardale). What is ridiculous is that some believe the coach can actually control what goes on with these kids 100%. I'm not making excuses for FL and no I didn't follow it closely enough to know the details of boosters, agents, the community etc., (of course I'm familiar with it) but what is true is the coach certainly has significant influence and is expected to run the program correctly. That those situations happen, however, is just as much a result of individuals, 3rd party influences and information. USC, FL, Miami, OK, Colorado, PSU and many others... it's not just the coach. Regardless of whether some find the final touchdown as evidence of him being an asshole really has no bearing on his relationship with this team, the nature of its booster support and the access that 3rd parties (agents, attorneys) have or will have to players. That this team just steamrolled all competition by winning convincingly supports its championship and #1 ranking.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Urban Cryer.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

Only college backup QB that got drafted that comes to mind is Matt Cassel who never started a game at QB.

Brad Johnson was a backup in college as well. Played basketball his first three years at FSU. Took up football his sophomore year, started six games as a junior and then got bench in favor of another FSU-QB turned Tampa Bay Buccaneer - Casey Weldon. Started one one game as a senior. Of course, he was drafted in the ninth round, so he wouldn't've been drafted in today's NFL.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

It's not about hurting feelings in this case. It's about being a ******* asshole.

Are you familiar with Meyer pre-OSU? Are you familiar with the criminal-ridden Florida program he ran away from because it got too crazy for him to control?

It's this kind of **** that's gonna end up poisoning OSU locker room, too.

Oh come one, it's not like any of the Florida Gators killed a gu.....oh, wait a minute......

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Urban Cryer.

Yes, he does look oh so sad… full of tears no doubt.

Last edited:

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He smiled like that at Florida, too.

Turned out it was because he was really enjoying ******* the program so hard that, half a decade later, it still hasn't recovered.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He smiled like that at Florida, too.

Turned out it was because he was really enjoying ******* the program so hard that, half a decade later, it still hasn't recovered.

But they got 2 BCS national championships out of it. I'd gladly take 2 titles and a decade of mediocrity over never winning a title.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

But they got 2 BCS national championships out of it. I'd gladly take 2 titles and a decade of mediocrity over never winning a title.

It's not just mediocrity. We're not talking about a coach who wasn't particularly good and therefore didn't leave the program in great shape, or a guy who moved on after being successful, leaving the program a bit down (sort of like the immediate post-Spurrier years at Florida). Meyer ran a dirty, unethical program that shielded and enabled all sorts of misbehavior, and then he took off when St. Tebow wasn't around to draw attention away from it all, leaving a huge mess for the next guy.

Don't get me wrong - I'd gladly take a few down years as a result of a transition from a winning coach, but that's not what we're talking about when we discuss what Meyer did at UF.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Eh, I think Meyer's a good, possibly great coach who might be better than Saban. And while a little ethical fudging to get GSU to, say, six wins would be more than welcome from me, the amount of damage **** he created at UF would not be good.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gsu signed seven players yesterday. The best part of uab closing is we got a bunch of their ex players. Hopefully that leads to two more wins

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of recruiting, are any of my fellow Bulldogs following the Roquan Smith saga? UCLA managed to snag him out from under UGA in what was considered a shocker. He announced his choice on national TV. However, because of all the craziness surrounding the media attention, his signing and submission of his LOI was delayed. In the intervening minutes, it was leaked that the Atlanta Falcons were hiring UCLA's DC, and it was the DC that Smith specifically noted was the reason he was headed to UCLA. He has officially reopened his recruiting, and UGA is back in the running.

What a perfect statement on the bizarre world of college recruiting.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads