• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

official 2010 world cup thread

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How is that cheating? I don't get that mentality. He got a red card and PK was awarded. It was a desperate measure at an impossibly crucial moment in the game. I don't know how anyone wouldn't see that as a brilliant play. Like fouling Shaq before he can put in the winning dunk, even if it fouls you out of the game.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is that not cheating because he got caught. It's still cheating when you get caught.

No it's not like fouling in bball - not at all. Hand ball on the line. There is no other place this ball can go than in the net - basic laws of physics. No ambiguity

Canal Directo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Oh my God!

Now when the automatic red rule was instituted I was under the impression that a goal could be awarded in that circumstance. If it was never that way, i think it should be, because Ghana, under the spirit of fair play, did everything they could to WIN this game and advance. Uruguay, through cheating, may have given themselves another life. This is a bad example for every kid out there who now thinks I can do whatever I need to do to win...

Sad to say, but who gives a **** about fair play today?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was not cheating, it was a smart play. If people have an issue with it, change the rules of the game, then complain.

That said, I feel really bad for Ghana/Gyan. That was a heartbreaking ending.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A fantastic example of why futbol is the most beautiful game.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poor Ghana.
frown.gif
I will miss watching them in the next round.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
How is that cheating? I don't get that mentality. He got a red card and PK was awarded. It was a desperate measure at an impossibly crucial moment in the game. I don't know how anyone wouldn't see that as a brilliant play. Like fouling Shaq before he can put in the winning dunk, even if it fouls you out of the game.
plus right after his handball that guy was already thinking he caused the loss while running off the field in tears in being ejected. yet another hand of god situation... that was way to much drama... I hated ghana after the USA game... then pulled for them during this game only to have it end like that...

Canal Directo

Reaction score
This penalty session reminds me of the African Nation Cup final in 1992, Ghana lost in the penalties 10 to 11 against Côte d'Ivoire. Every player had to shoot, surely the most dramatic session I have ever seen

rexthedestroyer

Reaction score
How do you get over a loss like that???

Ghana did all they could. However, that penalty kick by their captain was a VERY weak attempt.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
It was not cheating, it was a smart play. If people have an issue with it, change the rules of the game, then complain.

That said, I feel really bad for Ghana/Gyan. That was a heartbreaking ending.

+1
I would've done the same.

Ghana could have won it there and then.
And had they converted all their penalties, they would have won as well. So tough luck, Ghana, but it was in your hands.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
How is that not cheating because he got caught. It's still cheating when you get caught.

It is cheating in that he broke the rules. Agreed. But he was caught and the penalties were applied (sent off, opponents get a PK). The PK was missed. There is such a thing as strategically breaking a rule and taking the penalty, just as their is efficient breach of contract.

b

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Well since I don't have the power to change the rules, I can only complain. Yes, a handball on the line should be goal awarded, not PK, because the probability of that ball getting in the net is 100% before contact with the hand. The PK is less than 100%, as we can attest.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel really bad for Ghana, i wanted to see them go through. The crucial ones are always missed when you go high
frown.gif
Wasnt cheating by Suarez, its exactly like fouling in bball when you know the guy has an easy layup and youre leading or tied. You take the foul and the chance hell miss one. Do it any other time in the game and the red card hurts plenty. Final minute, had to do it. The way some of the Ghana players took the penalties was pretty stupid though

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
It is cheating in that he broke the rules. Agreed. But he was caught and the penalties were applied (sent off, opponents get a PK). The PK was missed. There is such a thing as strategically breaking a rule and taking the penalty, just as their is efficient breach of contract.

Absolutely agree. It's strategic cheating, it may even be a great strategic play. But it is still centered on breaking the rules as a mean to achieve a result.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics