• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

bemk

Reaction score

fendermustang

Reaction score
I have a Stow in Funchal Espresso and a Bourton in Espresso (Calf). The box of the latter states "Burnished" as their website does. However, I find the burnishing on the Bourton pretty discreet.
To my eyes my Funchal Stows are not burnished, but probably the artificial light on this winter's evening betrays me.

Tricker's' notes on the Funchal Espresso Stows were these, which is the same as on Trickerpedia :
View attachment 1880902

However, the burnishing happens on the final boot, so you can order them without.

My impressions of the leather are here: #23,404
And one post later you find a picture of the Stow next to the Bourton as well as a Burford. It's quite huge with 1600 px, so click on it to maximize.
It is due to the slightly differently angle towards the sun, that the tips of the Bourton looks brighter than that of the Funchal.
This is really helpful! thank you.
So this photo was taken shortly after receiving the boots, do you have any more recent photographs? I am wondering how the leather ages.

basu13

Reaction score
Sunning the Stows today.

IMG_20230121_101448.jpg

bemk

Reaction score
This is really helpful! thank you.
So this photo was taken shortly after receiving the boots, do you have any more recent photographs? I am wondering how the leather ages.

Well, this photo is from end of November, when they had just arrived, not much ageing happened since then.
But I could do a close-up of the Bourton and the Funchal Stow this weekend for a more concrete impression of the leather.

shoefan57

Reaction score
There's something just right about Trickers Marron with grey pants. As an aside and by way of a grump, I am sick and tired of retailers advising that the 4497s last is "generous". Owning shoes by C&J, EG, G&G, Church's, Cheaney and Alfred Sargent, it is IMO not at all generous. I'd say it is TTS, that's all partly because it is shallow across the instep. The only generous Trickers last for country shoes and boots is their 4444 last. The 4444 is the best fit for my feet and when I was building up my shoe collection, I many times wished that Trickers made more styles on the 4444 last. Sadly, only two regular ones, most of the rest being on the 4497s last.

bemk

Reaction score
There's something just right about Trickers Marron with grey pants. As an aside and by way of a grump, I am sick and tired of retailers advising that the 4497s last is "generous". Owning shoes by C&J, EG, G&G, Church's, Cheaney and Alfred Sargent, it is IMO not at all generous. I'd say it is TTS, that's all partly because it is shallow across the instep. The only generous Trickers last for country shoes and boots is their 4444 last. The 4444 is the best fit for my feet and when I was building up my shoe collection, I many times wished that Trickers made more styles on the 4444 last. Sadly, only two regular ones, most of the rest being on the 4497s last.

I hear you totally on the 4444. It's as if my Bourtons were bespoke, so perfect is the fit and - just like you - I wished they did more models on that last and especially my beloved Stows and Burfords. If I were rich, I had them all MTO with the 4444.

I wear these boots in the same size as my Bourtons and when I followed the general recommendation to go a 1/2 size-up from the 4444 the 4497S was much to roomy in length and width. Compensation with thicker socks did not work.
Staying the same size the 4497S is a bit tight on the inside of my heels (the 4444 is not), but it's ever so slight and gone once broken in. Otherwise it's a good fit, but not as great as the 4444 is.

However, there must be something generous about it as my bigger foot is measured as 1 1/2E and Viberg 1E is tighter at the ball, so I wear Viberg EE and my R.M.Williams boots in H, which is wider than their regular G.

There's something just right about Trickers Marron with grey pants.

Today I wore this combination with a long grey, heavy woolen overcoat and damn was I sexy! 🕺🤡

Last edited:

bemk

Reaction score
But I could do a close-up of the Bourton and the Funchal Stow this weekend for a more concrete impression of the leather.

@fendermustang , here we go. The photo has a true-to-light exposure and it is white-balanced for correct colours, which of course could be influenced by your device's monitor.

The Bourton is one year old and to the best of my recollection has not been polished, it only seen a damp cloth and a dirt brush. The Funchal Stow is two months old without any treatment so far.

I recommend to view it full size by clicking on the picture and on the loupe-icon at the top right then:

230122_16711_Trickers-BourtonCalf_StowFunchal_2000px.jpg

Last edited:

bemk

Reaction score
Looking at the pictures of my collection, which I had posted last week, reminded me that many soles were in need of some care.
So I ordered the edge colour from Boot Black which comes with sand paper in 800 and 400 and a little dirt-brush. For my Espresso Tricker's I used the dark brown edge colour.

Though my Burford looked not as bad as my Bourton, it's winter and so I picked the boots for the treatment. I polished the Burford with 'Premium-Schuh-Pomade' in Espresso from Burgol before and switched the laces for a new pair.

Before:

230123_16716_Trickers-Burford-Espresso-Love_before.jpg

After:

230123_16719_Trickers-Burford-Espresso-Love_after.jpg

230123_16721_Trickers-Burford-Espresso-Love_set.jpg

The edges still look almost black as the colour had not dried completely, but I'm sure there will be more brown later.

Last edited:

bemk

Reaction score
Here's a new treatment of my Tricker's with the edge-color from Boot Black. This time I picked my most worn Acorn Stows with the leather sole and the 'light brown' color instead of the 'dark brown'.

Upon closer inspection of yesterdays work, I concluded that I didn't sand down the edges enough. While it looked already good, I found it was a bit irregular and I could do better. Learning by doing.
On my Burfords I only used 1/8 of each sheet (28 x 23 cm) of the abrasive papers, this time I used up the complete rest of the sheets until I received 'sanding dust' instead of color on the papers. And I applied a double layer of the color.
(On a critical note I want to mention that the applicator looses small lints, like very short hairs. I found this a bit bothersome and wiped them off by stripping it on a piece of paper and painting over these areas again.
Edit / Addition: Later today I worked on the second boot and found, that I could simple strip the few lints directly from the applicator with my fingers. So this isn't really an issue and I wouldn't want a different applicator as it is really superb to use, especially when painting the edges.)

I used warm water with ox-gall soap to clean the leather from dirt and Tricker's Fawn Shoe Polish

I only worked on one Stow to capture the difference in the same light. Here's the left one:

230124_16731_Trickers-Stow-Acorn-EdgeLove_before.jpg

And the right one after the treatment:

230124_16732_Trickers-Stow-Acorn-EdgeLove_after.jpg

Here's a side-by-side:

230124_16732-3_Trickers-Stow-Acorn-EdgeLove_mirror.jpg

Last edited:

bemk

Reaction score
Very nice job!

Thank you! 🌞

I was a bit torn at first, because it's quite a bit darker than default and then there's the atypical high gloss and wondered if it's not a bit too much. I can still sand them ever so slightly with a fine grain paper to dim the shine, but I doubt I will as I today I'm wearing the Burfords, which I had shown yesterday, and I really enjoyed my 'new sole shine.
On the other hand I was overwhelmed by the pretty perfect finish I had achieved and how kinda like brand-new this worn pair now looks. I especially like how this treatment brings out the different layers of leather with contrast. 🕶

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads