• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's cordovan aka horse ass.

I think it's from Comipel.

ETA: There's some talk that the cotto is from Horween. http://www.stitchedandstitched.com/?p=1488

I am pretty sure that tricker's does not use Horween shell.  That being said i have a pair of Tricker's longwings in the Mogano Brown Cordovan and it is fantastic!  In fact it does not crease as much as horween I have from Alden or Ralph Lauren.  I think Cordovan is the way to go!

Mr indigoshrimp reported he was told by David of the factory shop that the Mogano color is from Horween.
https://indigoshrimp.wordpress.com/2012/01/12/shell-stows/

The only Tricker's cordovan I have experience with is orange which is pretty clearly Comipel. I think I know what you mean about it not creasing as much as Horween though.
It feels thinner and softer than Horween. Not necessarily a bad thing; just different.

C D Moorby

Reaction score
I recently enquired about an MTO Horween Cordovan boot at Tricker's Jermyn Street. I've heard it from many suppliers and now Tricker's themselves - Tricker's do not make shoes with the Horween product. They have a few Horween hides on offer, but I don't think they're Cordovan. The reason, I was told, was because Horween didn't always provide enough material suitable for boot making, so they stopped ordering it from them as they were unhappy with the supply.

That said, they would agree to make a pair for me in Horween's Color #8 Cordovan provided I supplied the material myself based on it being at least Grade II Cordovan and there was 4 ft of leather. I was going to purchase this from A&A Crack (Horween's UK agent). Due to the price of the custom MTO I wanted + having to pay entirely up front + the price of the Cordovan, I decided not to take the risk - especially if a manufacturer is generally unhappy using the material in the first place.

Instead I invested in a pair of Alden Longwings in Color #8 Cordovan, and I really feel like I made the right choice.

I have a pair of Comipel Tricker's and now a pair of Horween Alden's, and as much as I love my Tricker's and the Comipel leather, I have to concede, the Horween product is infinitely more attractive on the pair I've purchased. (That's not to say all Horween examples are great, I've tried Color #8 Cordovan shoes on that were positively dull compared to my Tricker's and I've seen some Whisky Cordovan that looked as ordinary as calf). It's swing and roundabouts.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Soooo... are you guys interested enough for me to contact Richard and get a quote in Cotto? It'll be five of us total for the order.

As long as its no Japanese crazy mark up price, can you put me down too?

Calikid

Reaction score
I recently enquired about an MTO Horween Cordovan boot at Tricker's Jermyn Street. I've heard it from many suppliers and now Tricker's themselves - Tricker's do not make shoes with the Horween product. They have a few Horween hides on offer, but I don't think they're Cordovan. The reason, I was told, was because Horween didn't always provide enough material suitable for boot making, so they stopped ordering it from them as they were unhappy with the supply.

That said, they would agree to make a pair for me in Horween's Color #8 Cordovan provided I supplied the material myself based on it being at least Grade II Cordovan and there was 4 ft of leather. I was going to purchase this from A&A Crack (Horween's UK agent). Due to the price of the custom MTO I wanted + having to pay entirely up front + the price of the Cordovan, I decided not to take the risk - especially if a manufacturer is generally unhappy using the material in the first place.

Instead I invested in a pair of Alden Longwings in Color #8 Cordovan, and I really feel like I made the right choice.

I have a pair of Comipel Tricker's and now a pair of Horween Alden's, and as much as I love my Tricker's and the Comipel leather, I have to concede, the Horween product is infinitely more attractive on the pair I've purchased. (That's not to say all Horween examples are great, I've tried Color #8 Cordovan shoes on that were positively dull compared to my Tricker's and I've seen some Whisky Cordovan that looked as ordinary as calf). It's swing and roundabouts.

Mr indigoshrimp reported he was told by David of the factory shop that the Mogano color is from Horween.
https://indigoshrimp.wordpress.com/2012/01/12/shell-stows/
The only Tricker's cordovan I have experience with is orange which is pretty clearly Comipel. I think I know what you mean about it not creasing as much as Horween though.
It feels thinner and softer than Horween. Not necessarily a bad thing; just different.

I will try and post a picture of my Alden Shell Longwings alongside my Tricker's longwings to compare Horween vs. Comipel shell.
Can anyone offer quick advice on how to upload a photo. everytime I try to upload a photo it comes up as a link and not the photo itelf.
Thanks

formz

Reaction score
Ok this is what we need for Richard:

Model, Hermann.
Last, 4497s. Width Fitting 5. (Do we want a 4444?)
Sizes, TBD
Colour, Cotto Cordovan. - Done
Lining, Black Calf Lining ??? - This sound okay?
Pull Tabs, none - Done
Eyelets, Blind Eyelets. - Done
Welt, Barbour Welt in Natural Finish - Done
Sole, Commando Sole in Black - Done

What is everyone expecting to pay for something like this in cordovan? Judging by other brands I would say $700. That sound about right?

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Model, Hermann.
Sizes, TBD
Pull Tabs, none - Done
What is everyone expecting to pay for something like this in cordovan? Judging by other brands I would say $700. That sound about right?

if its 700, i'll pass, good luck guys

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Model, Hermann.
Sizes, TBD
Pull Tabs, none - Done

I'd go for a more interesting lining like like green or red but black is okay.

$700 doesn't sound bad.
The orange cordovan ones I got from the Bureau were 555gbp or 463gbp once you took off VAT. Shipping was another 30gbp.
That translates to $780 or so.

formz

Reaction score
We can do a different lining. I'm not tied to black at all.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

$700 doesn't sound bad.
The orange cordovan ones I got from the Bureau were 555gbp or 463gbp once you took off VAT. Shipping was another 30gbp.

And that is not even for an individual or small group MTO. You are going to be hardpressed to find a cordovan boot from a top maker for under $700, much less something MTO;

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
$700 doesn't sound bad.

And that is not even for an individual or small group MTO. You are going to be hardpressed to find a cordovan boot from a top maker for under $700, much less something MTO;

Richard has been doing his bulk MTOs without the individual MTO premium so the $700-800 range sounds about right.
You can get cordovan Aldens all day for under $700 at least in black or #8.

formz

Reaction score

Richard has been doing his bulk MTOs without the individual MTO premium so the $700-800 range sounds about right.
You can get cordovan Aldens all day for under $700 at least in black or #8.

Yes but then you have what everyone else does. ;)

Calikid

Reaction score
Model, Hermann.
Sizes, TBD
Pull Tabs, none - Done

like everything but I too would like to see a different color lining other than black. $700 for a MTO cordovan boot would be fantastic!
an MTO balmoral shell boot that Epaulet is doing is $1000.00 so $700 sounds pretty good to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics