Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

1. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

anyone have the polarquilt vest or jackets? size recommendations?

knowing barbour and how "full" they tend to fit, im thinking i need to size down 1 size but wanted to make sure. im a 36R so thinking i need an XS but any help would be appreciated :)

2. petercoleman

petercoleman Active Member

I have the International jacket I found for around 175 at Barbour by David Wood in Portland, ME. It's the black "Lightning" version with a grayed out "Barbour International" chest patch, and has a polarquilt lining. Machine washable nylon as opposed to waxed cotton. I'm 6'6", normally wear an XL and the only one in the clearance rack they had was an XL. It's a little tight, and a little short. Shoulders and sleeves length are good, though. Unless you're sort of in-between sizes I would stay true-to-size...

3. Aeneas

Aeneas Senior member

Just a reminder, Barbour stores offer a student discount on all non-sale items. This includes the waxed jackets.

4. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

I ended up purchasing the Middleburn jacket and have been meaning to give it a review. I don't know if Barbour still makes it. But if you can find one and like waxed cotton in a minimalist style, you should do yourself a favor and get it - it's a great jacket. I am a size 42R and the size large Middleburn fits me perfect (no need to size down). It's a fairly trim cut jacket - not nearly as full as my size 42 Beaufort. The length is shorter than the Beaufort too (probably similar to a Bedale jacket length), and has snaps in the rear (quasi side vents) - open to give your derrière a little extra room or snapped shut to keep the jacket lines straight. Arm holes are relatively high for a Barbour. The Middleburn has a thin quilted lining (not removable) throughout the entire body and arms which gives it more structure than the Beaufort (which has a thin material lining and an optional, thicker vest-style zip out lining). For what it is, it definitely has a neat clean style. I have a number of jackets and no other fits like the Middleburn. In my opinion it's very well cut and its simple lines work for me. The corduroy collar looks great up or partially up (pretty much stays however you put it). The weight is a bit of a tweener - too hot for warm weather and too light for winter. I live in the Pacific Northwest and it can work almost year round here. But it is definitely not a winter jacket. The waxed cotton seems a bit heavier than my Beaufort. I got the brown color (as opposed to the black which I only saw offered by Barbour in the UK). Last but not least, it is made in England. I would not have gotten it otherwise. Somewhat annoyingly, Barbour's "heritage" line and newer styles are frequently not made in England. Yet they cost as much or more than the jacket styles made in the UK. I got it on sale through Orvis (it was at least $100 off retail). I'm really happy with it and it's breaking in nicely.

5. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

6. petercoleman

petercoleman Active Member

Damn, never seen that before. Think they'll offer other colors?

7. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

doesn't look like it...i didn't like it at first but i stared at it for a few hours at work and convinced myself that was my fall jacket.

I do live like 10 mins from a barbour and will ask them what the deal is because i really want that jacket. I am a MAC whore.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

8. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

if they have one in Navy I might cop.

9. OmniscientCause

Navy would be my color of choice as well...but I see this color doing well for the fall...I tend to wear more tans and browns anyways as opposed to black.

10. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

The ones on the bay go for about $375 with BIN. I think retail is a little north of $400.

Don't have a polar quilt, but have a Chelsea jacket. I bought it in small and am a 38 chest. I tried the XS on in the Chelsea and it was very fitted. If the polarquilt has the same fit the XS would probably be good for you.

Slap a Jack Spade label on and add hundreds of dollars.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

11. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

this is why I will probably never buy that jacket even if I like it.

12. OmniscientCause

I looked yesterday...it can be had for like 300. Well not sure what the exchange rate is now...but somewhere in that ball park. Also could wait for jcrew sale 25% off would be 320 but not positive that they do sales on barbour.

13. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

That jacket aside, I think Jack Spade does a nice coal bag. I grabbed a couple on sale this Summer and they're very nice.

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I've been patiently waiting for a J. Crew sale. Do you know when the next one is?