• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone have the polarquilt vest or jackets? size recommendations?

knowing barbour and how "full" they tend to fit, im thinking i need to size down 1 size but wanted to make sure. im a 36R so thinking i need an XS but any help would be appreciated :)

petercoleman

Reaction score
knowing barbour and how "full" they tend to fit, im thinking i need to size down 1 size but wanted to make sure. im a 36R so thinking i need an XS but any help would be appreciated
smile.gif
I have the International jacket I found for around 175 at Barbour by David Wood in Portland, ME. It's the black "Lightning" version with a grayed out "Barbour International" chest patch, and has a polarquilt lining. Machine washable nylon as opposed to waxed cotton. I'm 6'6", normally wear an XL and the only one in the clearance rack they had was an XL. It's a little tight, and a little short. Shoulders and sleeves length are good, though. Unless you're sort of in-between sizes I would stay true-to-size...

Aeneas

Reaction score
Just a reminder, Barbour stores offer a student discount on all non-sale items. This includes the waxed jackets.

CEE88

Reaction score

Love my Beaufort, waxed cotton generally -- and am now looking for something a little different. Anyone have information on the Barbour Middleburn:
3C3P00L0W_lg.jpg
If you've seen this jack in person and/or own one, what are your impressions? Is the cotton heavier than, say, that of a typical Beaufort or Bedale? I've seen it referred to as "Heavyweight 8oz. Barbour Duramax" -- on what other Barbour jackets is this used? Is the cut more trim than 'classics' like the Bedale/Beaufort? (supposedly it is, I'm just looking for confirmation) What about the length in comparison to the Bedale? Is the Middleburn more of a winter jacket weight? The Barbour website seems to have dropped all mention of the Middleburn -- which line was it part of: contemporary, classic or heritage? Thanks.
I ended up purchasing the Middleburn jacket and have been meaning to give it a review. I don't know if Barbour still makes it. But if you can find one and like waxed cotton in a minimalist style, you should do yourself a favor and get it - it's a great jacket. I am a size 42R and the size large Middleburn fits me perfect (no need to size down). It's a fairly trim cut jacket - not nearly as full as my size 42 Beaufort. The length is shorter than the Beaufort too (probably similar to a Bedale jacket length), and has snaps in the rear (quasi side vents) - open to give your derrière a little extra room or snapped shut to keep the jacket lines straight. Arm holes are relatively high for a Barbour. The Middleburn has a thin quilted lining (not removable) throughout the entire body and arms which gives it more structure than the Beaufort (which has a thin material lining and an optional, thicker vest-style zip out lining). For what it is, it definitely has a neat clean style. I have a number of jackets and no other fits like the Middleburn. In my opinion it's very well cut and its simple lines work for me. The corduroy collar looks great up or partially up (pretty much stays however you put it). The weight is a bit of a tweener - too hot for warm weather and too light for winter. I live in the Pacific Northwest and it can work almost year round here. But it is definitely not a winter jacket. The waxed cotton seems a bit heavier than my Beaufort. I got the brown color (as opposed to the black which I only saw offered by Barbour in the UK). Last but not least, it is made in England. I would not have gotten it otherwise. Somewhat annoyingly, Barbour's "heritage" line and newer styles are frequently not made in England. Yet they cost as much or more than the jacket styles made in the UK. I got it on sale through Orvis (it was at least $100 off retail). I'm really happy with it and it's breaking in nicely.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
doesn't look like it...i didn't like it at first but i stared at it for a few hours at work and convinced myself that was my fall jacket.

I do live like 10 mins from a barbour and will ask them what the deal is because i really want that jacket. I am a MAC whore.

Last edited:

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy would be my color of choice as well...but I see this color doing well for the fall...I tend to wear more tans and browns anyways as opposed to black.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking into getting my first Barbour jacket but don't know which one. The classic are bedale and beauford. I'm looking for a fall/winter jacket to survive ny crap weather days. Also what is the price range??i can't seem to find it on the site

The ones on the bay go for about $375 with BIN. I think retail is a little north of $400.

knowing barbour and how "full" they tend to fit, im thinking i need to size down 1 size but wanted to make sure. im a 36R so thinking i need an XS but any help would be appreciated :)

Don't have a polar quilt, but have a Chelsea jacket. I bought it in small and am a 38 chest. I tried the XS on in the Chelsea and it was very fitted. If the polarquilt has the same fit the XS would probably be good for you.

Slap a Jack Spade label on and add hundreds of dollars.

Last edited:

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The ones on the bay go for about $375 with BIN. I think retail is a little north of $400.
Don't have a polar quilt, but have a Chelsea jacket. I bought it in small and am a 38 chest. I tried the XS on in the Chelsea and it was very fitted. If the polarquilt has the same fit the XS would probably be good for you.
Slap a Jack Spade label on and add hundreds of dollars.

this is why I will probably never buy that jacket even if I like it.

I looked yesterday...it can be had for like 300. Well not sure what the exchange rate is now...but somewhere in that ball park. Also could wait for jcrew sale 25% off would be 320 but not positive that they do sales on barbour.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads