• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oak Street Bootmakers

accent1220

Reaction score

Seems much easier to do the non-360....

exactly
How does that make it cheaper?  You end up using the same amount of lace either way.  Seems much easier to do the non-360 because once you have the lace stitched down, the collar is basically the same as a blucher moc and you don't have to worry about the laces getting in the way during handsewing or soling.

The main thing is you lose the main point/advantage of 360 lacing, which is tighter lacing/fit around your foot.  That's why most boat shoe companies don't do it.

are you honestly not understanding? you have to lace the boat shoe exactly as you would for 360. But at the end as you get to the eyelets, instead of just lacing it up you have to stop and sew the lace into the inside of the shoe. Then they lace the upper eyelets with another shoe lace. I assume you don't have an OSB example that you're looking at.

tanbar

Reaction score
exactly
are you honestly not understanding? you have to lace the boat shoe exactly as you would for 360. But at the end as you get to the eyelets, instead of just lacing it up you have to stop and sew the lace into the inside of the shoe. Then they lace the upper eyelets with another shoe lace. I assume you don't have an OSB example that you're looking at.

No I completely understand. Adding a little stitch and cutting off the lace isn't going to add any significant time/cost. If anything it makes it easier because the lace is now held in place, making it easier to stitch the collar down.

And yes I don't have a pair of the OSB boat shoes since I have no desire to have an improperly made boat shoe when every other manufacturer makes them with 360 lacing.

accent1220

Reaction score
stopping to stitch is the opposite of a shortcut. First they've got to scuff the rawhide, then scuff the inside of the shoe where it will be adhered, then cement the lace, cement the inside of the shoe, let the cement dry, lightly hammer the lace to the shoe when dry, then probably take it to a different part of the factory to stitch it down. i worked the counter at a shoe repair in college. you're the classic example of the guy who says, "$10? for what? For a stitch?"
i'm not saying it costs significantly more to do it this way, but it's definitely not an easier or cheaper way of doing things like you're suggesting. you admit you don't have the shoes anyway so not sure why you're jumping in

tanbar

Reaction score
stopping to stitch is the opposite of a shortcut. First they've got to scuff the rawhide, then scuff the inside of the shoe where it will be adhered, then cement the lace, cement the inside of the shoe, let the cement dry, lightly hammer the lace to the shoe when dry, then probably take it to a different part of the factory to stitch it down. i worked the counter at a shoe repair in college. you're the classic example of the guy who says, "$10? for what? For a stitch?"
i'm not saying it costs significantly more to do it this way, but it's definitely not an easier or cheaper way of doing things like you're suggesting. you admit you don't have the shoes anyway so not sure why you're jumping in

You've got to be joking.

What does it matter if I have a pair or not. I know how shoes are constructed and I've seen a pair of those exact boat shoes torn down. Because of this I've chosen to go with Rancourt instead.

You seem to be missing the main point of this all though. A simple little "fix" just to make it easier to change the laces in the event that one day they might happen to break which negates the reason 360 lacing is done in the first place.

jmaudi0

Reaction score
do you think a cobbler could create a 360 lace system with the existing OSB design?

jmaudi0

Reaction score
exactly
and i'm sure OSB would do it for you for free if you ask and are willing to wait for a pair to be made
i already have a pair. bought them last year. they have stretched out some...360 would be nice.

tanbar

Reaction score
i already have a pair. bought them last year. they have stretched out some...360 would be nice.

If you can get into the little gap between the collar and the upper and manage to cut the stitch that is holding the lace in place I don't think it would be a problem. The stitch is fairly close to where the handsewn stitching begins/ends so you would just have to be careful you don't cut that as well. You can see the gap in the photo below, take a look at your pair and see if the stitch is visible/accessible on your pair.

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
After the stitching on sole wears through, is it time to get them resoled? or can I continue wearing them until I actually wear through the sole itself

westie187

Reaction score
Wondered what everyone thought of these, now being offered as a pre-order:
http://independence-chicago.com/oak-street-bootmakers-indigo-rough-out-dainite-trench-boot/

westie187

Reaction score
They look great, but this has me concerned:

"While wear samples were tested through the extremely wet and cold Chicago winter with little to no ‘bleed’ experienced when in contact with water, it is recommended that the boots be worn in dry conditions, and with clothing that can accept indigo bleed transfer."

westie187

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly; maybe with chinos or khakis?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads