• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC weather for CSE and other travelers

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
so...besides being really cold, what's it actually like to be in NYC right now? I keep hearing stories of all the snow and grounded flights....

coming from So Cal where it's been in the 60s-70s the past month, I am curious as to what to expect.

Will bringing nice-ish shoes be a bad idea for walking around midtown/soho all day?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's wet right now. Not bitterly cold, but cool (high 20s-low 40s), which beats the teens and single digits with windchill factor. The slush and de-icer makes wearing nice shoes hazardous. A hat might be order depending on the day. Compared to California, NY weather is fickle.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There is hardly any snow left on the ground in Manhattan. The temps are above freezing. It's fine. Not sure what the forecast is, though.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
weather.com

Feb 27 Tonight
Considerable cloudiness. A few flurries are possible. Low 32F. Winds light and variable.
Feb 28 Tomorrow
A few flurries possible early. Partly cloudy. High 44F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Feb 28 Tomorrow night
A mostly clear sky. Low 28F. Winds light and variable.
Mar 1 Thursday
Showers possible in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 40s and lows in the upper 30s.
Mar 2 Friday
Showers possible. Highs in the low 50s and lows in the low 30s.
Mar 3 Saturday
Showers. Highs in the mid 40s and lows in the low 30s.

Mar 4 Sunday
Mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the low 40s and lows in the low 30s.
Mar 5 Monday
Times of sun and clouds. Highs in the upper 30s and lows in the mid 20s.
Mar 6 Tuesday
Mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the mid 30s and lows in the upper 20s.
Mar 7 Wednesday
Mostly Cloudy. Highs in the low 40s and lows in the low 30s.
Mar 8 Thursday
Times of sun and clouds. Highs in the mid 40s and lows in the mid 30s.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that any visitor to NYC bring rubber soled shoes (or overshoes), a raincoat and umbrella.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I would suggest that any visitor to NYC bring rubber soled shoes (or overshoes), a raincoat and umbrella.

Hm, where could I get a pair of overshoes in NYC? Any chance they'd be on sale in JFK or anywhere near the NYU campus (I'm sure they are, I just have no idea where to look)?

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Hm, where could I get a pair of overshoes in NYC? Any chance they'd be on sale in JFK or anywhere near the NYU campus (I'm sure they are, I just have no idea where to look)?
Most shoe repair shops sell overshoes if you are really set on that. However, rubber-soled laceups will be much more convenient IMO. Remember that you will probably be walking around all day - if you were just going to walk to and from the subway, and be stuck in an office building all day, then overshoes might make more sense.

Depending on your tolerance for the temperature (and you are based upstate) a raincoat with a wool liner might be a good bet. I echo Tomasso that NYC weather is highly variable.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
Most shoe repair shops sell overshoes if you are really set on that. However, rubber-soled laceups will be much more convenient IMO. Remember that you will probably be walking around all day - if you were just going to walk to and from the subway, and be stuck in an office building all day, then overshoes might make more sense.

Depending on your tolerance for the temperature (and you are based upstate) a raincoat with a wool liner might be a good bet. I echo Tomasso that NYC weather is highly variable.

I'll probably do rubber soled shoes on Thurs. and Sat., but I would like to do leather soled on Friday (wearing a suit). I'll figure it out...

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Note that I resisted the obvious joke about "rubbers."
tounge.gif

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank Gawd for dainite soles
plain.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I'll take my chances slipping and breaking my back with leather soles. I don't have rubber sole'd dress shoes.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I'll take my chances slipping and breaking my back with leather soles.
No, it's not about safety, you'll just ruin your shoes. When it rains/snows in Manhattan, the curb of every corner acquires a moat.

2003-02-19_17-18-28.jpg

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
No, it's not about safety, you'll just ruin your shoes. When it rains/snows in Manhattan, the curb of every corner acquires a moat.
Also, Get Smart, the subway often becomes very slippery and muddy when there's precipitation. Definitely don't want to slip and fall there - although a PI suit against the MTA might be a great infusion of capital for your new clothing venture!
laugh.gif

Man In Space

Reaction score

What if I am a young Asian lawyer from a tropical country?

Man In Space

Reaction score

What if I am a young Asian lawyer from a tropical country?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads