• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now someone explain to me how this makes any sense

ccffm1

Reaction score
There is no need to worry, JetBlast. The guy complaining was a f****** moron and it seems like you handled the situation in a professional, polite and confident manner. You´ll be just fine.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spirit of 69
I would have discreetly and quietly upgraded the squaddies in the gate lounge OR directed them to first class seats once on board, rather than making a patriotic show out of it in front of other passengers waiting and listening in the gate lounge.

I didn't make a scene out of it. The passenger said he saw them holding the tickets in the first class sleeve (he was sitting next to them, then moved to the other side of the gate). Hopefully upgrading them isn't considered a "patriotic show" to you.

I checked our SOP's regarding this and there is literally nothing listed regarding military upgrades, but I did send my supervisor an email to see what would be recommended in the future.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
He's an asshole. Not much you can do. You could tell him off but that's not exactly good customer service. Everyone else on board probably thought he was an asshole too.

How did he know you upgraded them for free, btw?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas

How did he know you upgraded them for free, btw?

I didn't ask him this actually, wish I would have thought of it. I did see him talking to the soldiers so I'm assuming they just told him.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
tell him it's just for guys in uniform, but you'll stretch the rules if he can produce his honorable discharge papers (fitting time frame of current conflict).

Agnacious

Reaction score
The less people are asked to sacrifice themselves, the less they appreciate the sacrifice of others.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
I didn't ask him this actually, wish I would have thought of it. I did see him talking to the soldiers so I'm assuming they just told him.

People hate seeing anyone, and I mean anyone else getting something for free.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why worry about this?

Dude was obviously an asshole. Let it go and do your thing.

K

rebenga

Reaction score
Gate agent discretion. I did make the announcement for standard paying passengers who wanted to pay for an upgrade to come up. I had no one, so I usually delegate the seats to active duty armed forces (unless there aren't enough for everyone). This isn't the first time this has been done, only the first time I've had someone get pissed over it.

So can the gate agent upgrade anyone he or she feels like if there are left over seats?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebenga
So can the gate agent upgrade anyone he or she feels like if there are left over seats?

Technically, yes. We are not advised to do it unless there is a valid reason for it. I have never upgraded anyone but service personnel for free.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Technically, yes. We are not advised to do it unless there is a valid reason for it. I have never upgraded anyone but service personnel for free.

not even some distraught cute blonde?
mwink[1].gif

TowleY

Reaction score
I would have done the same thing. You should have told him to joint the army, and go over to Iraq and fight for us. Then he can get all the first class tickets he wants. People just dont appreciate things anymore

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
not even some distraught cute blonde?
mwink[1].gif

If I can have the choice between the distraught blonde and heavily discounted employee fares to go to eastern Europe and get multiple blondes, I will go with the latter
bounce2.gif

Fatto_in_Italia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
You did nothing wrong. Nobody got less than they paidd for, some got more then they paid for...
My thoughts exactly. File a complaint against the dude for being a douche or just let it go..
smile.gif

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fatto_in_Italia
My thoughts exactly. File a complaint against the dude for being a douche or just it go..
smile.gif

Nah, I'm not going to file a complaint. I did look up his name in our internal system and no other complaints or issues had been had with him at other airports.

People will be assholes, I come across them once in a while. No point in whining about all of them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads