• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No color, no pattern, Appreciation Thread

lowlander

Reaction score
I believe that Steve Reich once said that by restricting his use of melody he was able to explore other ways of making music complex and interesting, such as rhythm and timbre.

Some time ago, and with respect to classic/business/work wear, I committed to the following limitations:

1. Only solid suits, no patterns
2. No color in the suits (not even dark navy)
3. No color in ties

It was a great decision. You might be surprised at how much you can actually do within these parameters. Not to mention, acquiring clothes is so much more efficient now.

Looking understated is never under-considered.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you wear black and white suits only? I am not sure if I am grasping what you're going for here.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you aware that color was actually introduced in 1939
in the Oz part of the Wizard of Oz ? You would have made
a depressingly dull Munchkin.
munchkins-were-paid-less-than-toto-and-their-agent-cheated-them-photo-u1.jpeg

Last edited:

lowlander

Reaction score
Lowlander, I thought that "Lowlanders" generally did (do) not wear kilts.
Instead wore(wear) trews, unlike your avatar.
Interesting point, you're probably right, very generally.

If I'm being totally honest though, I'm probably best described as a true Midlander. After all, I remember the glow of lowland industry in the night sky to the south, while to my north, the dark crags of the lower highlands, vast and black and still.

There, at that liminal border, bastards be wearing whatever they please.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing exclusively grey shades would be rather boring.

Of course grey is classic and has with a good reason a preeminent place in the mens wardrobe: it looks always subtle and refined, but limiting your choice at this extent, would prevent you to enjoy all the lovely colours and patterns of tweed and other beautiful options.

Ever thought about the expression "a grey life", meaning a boring one?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
EXTREMELY boring!

lowlander

Reaction score
Wearing exclusively grey shades would be rather boring.

Of course grey is classic and has with a good reason a preeminent place in the mens wardrobe: it looks always subtle and refined, but limiting your choice at this extent, would prevent you to enjoy all the lovely colours and patterns of tweed and other beautiful options.

Ever thought about the expression "a grey life", meaning a boring one?
I should restate that this only applies to my work/business wear - assume a necessarily traditional/understated/professional environment (certainly no tweed).

As I said in the original post, you may be surprised how much you could do within these parameters. For example, I have found myself seeking out monochromatic ties with geometric cube pattern designs and there's a huge amount of variety within that theme alone. The monochromatism keeps things appropriately formal, while the design theme distinguishes the outfit in a suitably subtle way.

In other words, sometimes limitations can actually provide a means to expand on design aspects you wouldn't have explored otherwise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads