• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No color, no pattern, Appreciation Thread

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Betta

Reaction score
I believe that Steve Reich once said that by restricting his use of melody he was able to explore other ways of making music complex and interesting, such as rhythm and timbre.

Some time ago, and with respect to classic/business/work wear, I committed to the following limitations:

1. Only solid suits, no patterns
2. No color in the suits (not even dark navy)
3. No color in ties

It was a great decision. You might be surprised at how much you can actually do within these parameters. Not to mention, acquiring clothes is so much more efficient now.

Looking understated is never under-considered.
1680321279788.png

lowlander

Reaction score
Does any historian here know when people started to wear patterns and bright colors (think paisley and the cold sweat and dread-inducing "windowpane")? Decade or century?

It's funny how some people have said this is "boring" when these limitations, as far as I can tell, represent basic classic dress standards before a certain period in time. I found one pic of Sean Connery wearing a pink tie, it looks like the 70s. Everything before that seems to show him dressed invariably monochromatically.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
Actually the suits and jacket in 30s were very colourful yet. Regarding pink color, it was considered a masculine color used in suits, just think of The Great Gatsby in 20s for example.

lowlander

Reaction score
Actually the suits and jacket in 30s were very colourful yet. Regarding pink color, it was considered a masculine color used in suits, just think of The Great Gatsby in 20s for example.

Yes, I'm sure you're right. I suppose there's always been a measure of choice and restraint involved.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads