• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nigel Cabourn

robindad

Reaction score
I love my cameraman but I would say that it is probably the opposite of what you're looking for. It is not particularly warm in and of itself - you'd have to layer in a sweater in cold weather - and the mackintosh top traps humidity inside so it is not going to keep you dry inside. I think I noted before that if it is slightly warmer than expected and/or if I walk a lot, the inside of the coat is wet when I take it off. Or did you mean to keep you dry from rain? in that case, that is a definite yes - the mackintosh top is as water repellent as it gets
Hi GDL203,

thank you, you right it's not what i was looking for, but it is a great piece, shame, loved the idea of it, but need to be dry on the inside, not seated up. the parka I have is just to warm to wear on anything but the coldest days....I'll keep looking

thanks

Last edited:

robindad

Reaction score

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a lot of Cabourn and ARN, robindad!

One of these days, I will have a super warm winter coat from Cabourn. Maybe it will be an Everest parka, or perhaps one of the Eddie Bauer coats. I almost bought the Beetham duffle last FW, but I thought it would have looked much better with horn buttons rather than the clasps.

I will also echo that the unlined Cameraman is not particularly warm. But, I have the Macintosh/Harris Tweed version, and it is the perfect jacket for wet, snowy days a little below freezing. I usually wear a warm wool sweater under mine, and it keeps me warm and dry.

Also, I know what you mean about moving on a little from Cabourn. I tend to obsess about a particular brand for a year or so, and then move on to something else. I would like to find more ARN Mercantile, but it seems as though their online stocklists are shrinking lately.

That's cool that you got to meet Drew. I've emailed him a bit, and he seems like a nice guy. I want an exact copy of his Himel Bros Heron leather jacket!

In honor of our lively debate yesterday, I am wearing CabournxARN trousers with a Mister Freedom Shirt today :) I have not been to Mister Freedom, but hope to visit sometime soon.

Let us know if you find any other places to buy ARN, or if you come across some good Cabourn sales...

robindad

Reaction score
It sounds like you have a lot of Cabourn and ARN, robindad!
One of these days, I will have a super warm winter coat from Cabourn. Maybe it will be an Everest parka, or perhaps one of the Eddie Bauer coats. I almost bought the Beetham duffle last FW, but I thought it would have looked much better with horn buttons rather than the clasps.
I will also echo that the unlined Cameraman is not particularly warm. But, I have the Macintosh/Harris Tweed version, and it is the perfect jacket for wet, snowy days a little below freezing. I usually wear a warm wool sweater under mine, and it keeps me warm and dry.
Also, I know what you mean about moving on a little from Cabourn. I tend to obsess about a particular brand for a year or so, and then move on to something else. I would like to find more ARN Mercantile, but it seems as though their online stocklists are shrinking lately.
That's cool that you got to meet Drew. I've emailed him a bit, and he seems like a nice guy. I want an exact copy of his Himel Bros Heron leather jacket!
In honor of our lively debate yesterday, I am wearing CabournxARN trousers with a Mister Freedom Shirt today
smile.gif
I have not been to Mister Freedom, but hope to visit sometime soon.
Let us know if you find any other places to buy ARN, or if you come across some good Cabourn sales...
HAHA...

I'm in the ARN breaches, got them from there online sale and a old Cricket shirt, from Mr cabourn, back in the day, got it at Spits Market for £7,

here's to debate, may it make us stronger with added understanding!!!

if you get the chance do go, he has the store just right I also like his wall of shame on the site, happy to hear someone shouting a bit, fashion is passion.

nixda

Reaction score
No worries, Robindad.

By the way, if you come across any awesome deals in size 50, please keep me in mind. ;)

Also, do any of you know what the Arn Beat pant sizing is like? true to size? I'm looking at the 34".

cheers.

robindad

Reaction score
No worries, Robindad.

By the way, if you come across any awesome deals in size 50, please keep me in mind. ;)

Also, do any of you know what the Arn Beat pant sizing is like? true to size? I'm looking at the 34".

cheers.
Hi

I'm a big 34 (35) and it was a little tight on me, but then I'd say it's true, but ask them. I found them very helpful with questions, bit slow on reply sometimes, but always answered and explained any delay in answering, got that real family company vibe off them!! it was nice

nixda

Reaction score
Great! thanks.

I'm the same way. A big 34/35ish. I usually stretch my 34 jeans to a 35. I'm dropping some pounds from running and biking though so the 34 should be perfect.

cheers.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, ARN trousers seem to be very true to tagged size. I like jeans that are 34" in the waist, and ARN's size 34 reliably fit me well. If they are higher rise trousers, they will reduce the waist accordingly so it still fits right.

If you're looking for some ARN products, Flannels has a few on deep sale (and some Cabourn pieces at half off). I just picked up the Medic jacket, which I have been wanting for a while. I have a pair of ARNxCabourn trousers in the same navy canvas, so I'll have a bit of an informal suit...

Last edited:

nixda

Reaction score
Thanks! and that jacket is super nice. Was eyeing it a while back.
Yeah, ARN trousers seem to be very true to tagged size. I like jeans that are 34" in the waist, and ARN's size 34 reliably fit me well. If they are higher rise trousers, they will reduce the waist accordingly so it still fits right.
If you're looking for some ARN products, Flannels has a few on deep sale (and some Cabourn pieces at half off). I just picked up the Medic jacket, which I have been wanting for a while. I have a pair of ARNxCabourn trousers in the same navy canvas, so I'll have a bit of an informal suit...

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a hunting jacket in raw herringbone tweed. Wow! Fantastic jacket. Much more impressive than the pictures. The canvas part is actually navy, not black like many pictures made it look. I'm half tempted to pick up the same jacket in the canvas version.

nixda

Reaction score
I need a navy blazer for wearing with khakis and a tie (sometimes). I wonder if the navy hunting jacket would do, or even the oliver spencer travel jacket.
what size did you go with in the hunting jacket? your normal NC size?

KamChan

Reaction score
Hi Zissou,

How is do you size the Arn jacket compare to NC mallory? I am interested in the sub jacket but not sure what size to get. Please advise.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a M since M usually is equivalent to a 50, which is what I wear in the Mallory. We'll see if I was right when it arrives...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads