Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. nixda

nixda Senior member

You're right and it's a great jacket. I almost pulled the trigger myself with the 40% off, but I'm torn between the Arn and either the Mallory Linen or the hospital jacket. I'm leaning toward the Hospital jacket since it seems that it's the most versatile of the bunch. I love the Linen Mallory but it's more seasonal and not sure I could deal with the wrinkling. But that's part of the aesthetic I guess. If end comes out with another code, I may just jump on the Hospital though (or the linen for that matter).

2. NeilChristopher

NeilChristopher Active Member

Hi

if i took the ARN coat out of the mix (which would only be fair!!) I'd go for the Mallory Linen, it's a classic piece of Cabourn, the Hospital Jacket is has a bit too much lapel, for the cloth, if you catch my drift.

just my 2 pence worth

N

3. nixda

nixda Senior member

Thanks Neil. I welcome everyones critique. I see what you mean. I'm looking for something that I can wear with a tie or dressed down with boots. The mallory definitely has a different allure for me.

4. NeilChristopher

Hi

if you're thinking waistcoat as well?, then out of the two Mallory is your best bet, as long as you get the size right there's spance in there of a WC, but thne it's what kind of waistcoat, a nice light summer one, would give you the option for a season but a mid weight would give you an all year round setup.

Got into waistcoats about 5 years ago, do like the extra layer and the pockets are handy, can't remember the last time I went out without one on now. how much are the Mallory's now? End had them on sale as did LLCC and VMC,

ix and match your waistcoat with a linen mallory for the summer and a good tweed number for the winter months. it a good look tie/waistcoat combo and a open neck work with the waistcoat too.

sorry just throwing it out there

N

5. nixda

nixda Senior member

I just realized that you are Neil from ARN. I had actually emailed you the other day.

Anyway, I appreciate all the input. I'm actually a big fan of the waistcoat myself. When I was shopping for the tweed mallory, I wouldn't buy one unless I could get the waistcoat in the same color as well, which I finally got when last seasons items came out. Paid full price but well worth it.

I wasn't sure about wearing linen throughout the year. What kind of fabric waistcoat would go with both the linen and tweed mallory? My current mallory and waistcoat are navy tweed.

Yeah, End has a sale right now on the Mallory linen, but I should have pulled the trigger a few weeks ago when they had another 20 or 25% off. Either way, still a great deal, so may just jump on it.

6. NeilChristopher

hi,

Did i answer? and was I nice/helpful??

depend on the tweed, was itthe herringbone navy? or the 'plain' harris number? personally I like to match the trousers with the waistcoat and work against the coat, gives a nicer match, but that's just me, a plain wasitcoat would set off both, nothing to fussy, no lapels, double pocket, or maybe a thrid, the coats cost enough so you'd want to highlight them, but again just my ideal.

you can get away with linen all year round but it would have to be heavy and 'fucked up' a fair bit, lived in I think the industry wording is. but if you already holding a tweed WC, did he do the bklue linen this year? the slubby one, now that is a nice linen, not standard, but still nice, good weight too.

talk to Lewis at Superdenim, he has an in with the samples/production ends, he should have a better price, or make an offer at End, seasons coming to a close, they do need to move it all along.

N

7. nixda

nixda Senior member

Man, you have some great ideas. Cheers! Yes, you were super nice and did answer my questions. :)

I have the non-herringbone version of the mallory. I actually prefer it. Simple and classic.

I was thinking of getting the waistcoat to match with jeans or navy chinos, so a nice navy/blue linen/cotton one would make sense and would work against the linen mallory.

Thanks for the insight and help. Much appreciated!

8. NeilChristopher

Hi

no problem, find something that works as much with it as highlights is, I'd go chino/twill in sand or beiges, works with the denim and the coats, not too samey, if that's a word,

happy to hear i was nice,

good luck

Neil

9. nixda

nixda Senior member

That sounds perfect. Thank you!

10. zissou

zissou Senior member

Flannels, Superdenim, and End all have decent sales going now, nixda.

I like buying Cabourn from the UK, since the markup tends to be lowest. This is probably the case with buying almost anything in the country of origin.

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere that was selling the linen Mallorys, but the linen is from Ulster Weavers, which has been weaving linen since 1880. It's definitely the beefiest, most attractive linen I've seen.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

11. nixda

nixda Senior member

Cheers. Looking at the one on End. It's strange because it's called 'army' color but seems more khaki at times. I've seen it anywhere from green to khaki in pics. I guess it'll still go decent with denim.

12. zissou

zissou Senior member

Yeah, it will be nice with denim. Cultizm has some nice photos of it. I thought about that color, but my tweed Mallory is army. I almost bought the navy tweed version from yoox last month. That navy is such a great looking tweed.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

13. nixda

nixda Senior member

Yeah, I almost bought that navy tweed one as well, but I already have the navy non-herringbone and it wouldn't have made much sense. Saw the pics on cultizm. Wish they'd drop that price though. :) I think I'm ready to pull the trigger though.

14. zissou

zissou Senior member

Yoox had the non-herringbone version, which is what I prefer. The one herringbone version they had dropped all the way down to about $150- crazy!

15. nixda

nixda Senior member

Oh yeah. it's the one they dropped that I was thinking of. The non-herringbone came after I think. I love mine. Got the vest too.